Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2021, 9:22 pm

I was at Oakbrook mall when a shooting occurred. I was at a yogurt shop and had just ordered dessert when I heard a loud bang.

The cashiers ran to the back and I jumped the counter and into the freezer. After a few minutes we were evacuated out of the area. I crossed the lot and the nearby street into the residential area.

From there I ordered a ride and warned him to avoid the mall. I tried my best to direct the traffic until I got my ride.

Apparently the shooting involved two people exchanging gunfire, injuring one of the shooters and three more people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcchi ... 762/%3famp

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 10:37 pm

Glad you are safe.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 11:49 pm

I've never heard a gun go off in my life. I must lead a very sheltered life here in sunny Australia.

DmitriNicholaev
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2021, 2:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
I've never heard a gun go off in my life. I must lead a very sheltered life here in sunny Australia.

Here in America its literally so common almost every American I know can point to a shooting we either witnessed or were in the area when it happened.

My therapist was in California during Elliot Rodger's shooting. I myself was in the neighborhood in Kenosha when Jacob Blake was shot by the police

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 2:49 am

TwisterUprocker wrote:
I was at Oakbrook mall when a shooting occurred. I was at a yogurt shop and had just ordered dessert when I heard a loud bang.

The cashiers ran to the back and I jumped the counter and into the freezer. After a few minutes we were evacuated out of the area. I crossed the lot and the nearby street into the residential area.

From there I ordered a ride and warned him to avoid the mall. I tried my best to direct the traffic until I got my ride.

Apparently the shooting involved two people exchanging gunfire, injuring one of the shooters and three more people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcchi ... 762/%3famp

damn, man that sucks.

But I know how it is, I have PTSD from a lock down incident when some jerk off with a gun came in and killed one of my classmates. But yeah during the time we heard on the announcement system that there was someone with a gun in the school. But yeah I didn't know where he was for all I knew he could pop in anytime and shoot us. though I was basically numb for the whole lock down like I couldn't feel anything and it was just my brains defense mechanism cause i felt all the fear and unpleasantness later, but I went numb at the time.

Idk though I am glad you're ok but yeah that sounds like a nightmare to deal with. But also remember it is ok to feel f*cked up about it and disturbed and you have to take care of yourself. I did not give myself that luxury with what I mentioned but you should.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 3:01 am

cyberdad wrote:

No?
I have been directly shot at several times while driving. It is why I had to keep changing cars.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 4:15 am

Australia is starting to sound like paradise

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 4:25 am

DmitriNicholaev wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Here in America its literally so common almost every American I know can point to a shooting we either witnessed or were in the area when it happened.

My therapist was in California during Elliot Rodger's shooting. I myself was in the neighborhood in Kenosha when Jacob Blake was shot by the police

Well I was at school when a shooting happened there, and Elijah Mclain was killed in aurora, Colorado basically for walking while black. He had gone to a nearby gas station to get some snacks when they killed him, hadn't done anything wrong, but they still overdosed him with ketamine.

DmitriNicholaev
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2021, 4:38 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
DmitriNicholaev wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Well I was at school when a shooting happened there, and Elijah Mclain was killed in aurora, Colorado basically for walking while black. He had gone to a nearby gas station to get some snacks when they killed him, hadn't done anything wrong, but they still overdosed him with ketamine.

Don;t tell me that you're a survivor of Columbine.

If you are I'm so sorry. :( :( :(

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 4:40 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

No?
I have been directly shot at several times while driving. It is why I had to keep changing cars.

In the U.K.??? Yikes! I thought the U.K. was a safer place?

Do you think these shootings were by random strangers, or by people who knew you and were targeting you personally for whatever reason?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 2:31 pm

The US is not a “shooting gallery.” Many people never hear a gun outside a shooting range go off.

Within my almost 61 years in NYC, I’ve only heard a gun go off once (except in shooting ranges). It happened in a movie theater in the 80s. We were evacuated from the theater.

Once, this guy showed me a handgun he was carrying. He was very surreptitious about it. This was back in 1979.

There’s too much gun violence here—but hearing guns is not part of the life experience of most Americans.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 5:13 pm

I've seen some guns before - owned by friends, criminals, one that was drawn on someone at a bar I worked at etc - but come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard a real gun fired in my entire life to date. I've been lucky enough not to be near any gunfire during the last few years' gang wars. Even though there have been more shootings locally For Here, it's still a needle-in-a-haystack type occurrence compared to places like Chiraq or w/e.

kraftiekortie wrote:
The US is not a “shooting gallery.” Many people never hear a gun outside a shooting range go off.

Within my almost 61 years in NYC, I’ve only heard a gun go off once (except in shooting ranges). It happened in a movie theater in the 80s. We were evacuated from the theater.

Once, this guy showed me a handgun he was carrying. He was very surreptitious about it. This was back in 1979.

There’s too much gun violence here—but hearing guns is not part of the life experience of most Americans.

I call BS. Considering there are 120.5 guns per 100 people in the USA, chances are pretty good that seeing & hearing guns go off IS extremely common for the average American. Maybe not used in crimes.. but 100% definitely in backyard target practice etc - everywhere outside of city limits, basically.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 5:22 pm

No BS. Don’t disregard my experience.

Nobody “target shoots” anywhere where I lived…..period.

It might be the experience of folks in rural areas…..but certainly not in urban/suburban areas where most of the populace lives.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 5:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
No BS. Don’t disregard my experience.

Nobody “target shoots” anywhere where I lived…..period.

You live in NYC. As I said above, that's not representative of peoples' lived experiences outside of city limits.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 10:41 pm

Good to know you made it out okay.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 9:57 am

When I lived in the suburbs I never once heard gunfire.Ever.
Now that I live in a rural area you hear it often.Someone target practicing, hunting, or dealing with a varmit.On New Years people shoot guns at midnight to celebrate.