Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2021, 1:07 pm

know a few weeks back I said that things have been kinda rough at work with being left in charge but I survived! I think I did pretty decent with it given the chaos and having health problems for one of those weeks even if im starting to feel better now, I'm still going to a doctor to get checked out. I just wasn't sure how to handle a situation at work during this all, I let it slide the week I was feeling light headed cause there was no way I could keep this girl in line when I felt like I was gonna pass out. But pretty much, this girl is taking way more cigarettes' breaks then we're allowed at work instead of the normal 15 min or half hour lunch we're normally allowed depending on how long shifts are . I counted 5 the one day when I was helping my other two coworkers catch up with everything on the floor, and she's been going as far skyping a guy she likes at work. It's getting to the point that the other clothing's processors are getting in trouble from this girl's slacking . I've heard both them and the woman who prices wares in the back complain about her. They won't come forward and tell the store manager about this, when she gets back next week though. I feel like something should be said so she's made aware and can look at the cameras and investigate?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 1:34 pm

There's no such thing as time theft at any job that doesn't pay as much as your labour contributes to their earnings. Don't be a Grimey, just take similar breaks.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

jadedpenguin
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2021, 2:46 pm

It does sound like the girl isn't very happy with the job, or perhaps doesn't feel important. I've done my fair(?) share of slacking off at different jobs when I felt like I was being put on busywork that didn't contribute much. Since you say this is actually affecting the work of another team, maybe you could approach the situation from that angle - ask her "Hey can you do this bit of work, it would really help the other team, then they can continue with their tasks". People are usually happy to oblige if they can see how their efforts are important.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 3:54 pm

jadedpenguin wrote:
Since you say this is actually affecting the work of another team, maybe you could approach the situation from that angle - ask her "Hey can you do this bit of work, it would really help the other team, then they can continue with their tasks". People are usually happy to oblige if they can see how their efforts are important.

This is both quite reasonable and generally true. If there's an actual downstream impact most people will correct their behaviour because empathy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2021, 4:08 pm

Last job I had, the day had two short breaks + lunch. The time between last break and finishing was a mere hour and a half. I once saw a low level section manager take 6 cigarette breaks in that hour and a half.

If checking camera footage is an option but you don't want to name anyone, maybe say you were to busy at the time to get specific details, but it seems to you that someone was taking to many breaks, so maybe the manager would like to check the footage for (time/date).

This leaves it up to your boss to decide for themselves how important they think it is to pursue, and doesn't name anyone if they decide not to pursue it.