Music which may briefly transcend the Autism Spectrum?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 4:28 pm

Just listened to holiday-related music which may have briefly transcended the Autism Spectrum - that is music which might have yielded those profound feelings common amongst NTs.

Holiday examples of music:

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra:

* Christmas Eve / Sarajevo.
* Christmas Canon.

Other music examples - 'The Beatles' stand-out. I can add quite a few examples of the 'British Invasion' 1960s -1970s also stand-out.

George Harrison's - 'What is Life?' certainly yielded quite those profound feelings.

Any thoughts? Experiences?

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 4:37 pm

You use the word transcend, but say this music yields feelings common among the autistic. So do you mean illustrate rather than transcend?

For me personally, music provides what NTs get from physical touch. Music I enjoy is like a caress and makes me feel soothed and connected, on a visceral level. Obviously it can mean much more, depending on the content. I would imagine many hear feel similar, but don't know. That said, I think a lot of music appeals to people here.

If I were to pick a music which, at least superficially, resembles autistic traits, then I'd say Steve Reich. His minimalist compositions, with their repetition and subtle changes, seem suited to the autistic, and certainly please me. They are very engrossing.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 6:26 pm

HighLlama wrote:
You use the word transcend, but say this music yields feelings common among the autistic. So do you mean illustrate rather than transcend?

For me personally, music provides what NTs get from physical touch. Music I enjoy is like a caress and makes me feel soothed and connected, on a visceral level. Obviously it can mean much more, depending on the content. I would imagine many hear feel similar, but don't know. That said, I think a lot of music appeals to people here.

If I were to pick a music which, at least superficially, resembles autistic traits, then I'd say Steve Reich. His minimalist compositions, with their repetition and subtle changes, seem suited to the autistic, and certainly please me. They are very engrossing.

To clarify, music which might yield feelings common amongst NTs!

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 2:18 am

Duh...don't know how I misread that :)