Is there a way to do cardio without having to make noise?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 6:32 pm

I want to get back into cardio exercising, but I cannot use the treadmill I have because it makes too much noise and people are sleeping where I live. I have also tried the elliptical, and the bike, but those do not get heart going though. They just exercise the legs more so, but my heart does not get going compared to the treadmill. I have also tried a punching bag, and this works really well to get the heart going, but it makes noise though enough to wake people up.

Is there a cardio exercise, that is quiet and will not do that perhaps, if anyone knows?

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 12:49 am

You should look into low impact cardio as that is a great way to not make too much noise. I do it because of joint problems and it can really get your heart pumping.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 9:41 pm

This might sound stupid, but try a hula hoop. If you hula for a while, you can actually burn a decent amount of calories without moving around much. There a special weighed hula hoops that really give you a good core work out, but honestly the cheap plastic ones from the Dollar Store work well, too.

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2021, 9:54 pm

I go running at nighttime around my town. It's much nicer than during the day, and I never have to interact with anyone out there, except for the occasional other nocturnal runner.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2021, 6:21 pm

I can try the hoop, thanks. I can't jog outdoors because it's too freezing cold a lot of the time though.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2021, 7:25 pm

ironpony wrote:
I have also tried a punching bag, and this works really well to get the heart going, but it makes noise though enough to wake people up.

Shadow Boxing

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jan 2022, 8:44 pm

This might sound backwards--and I'm not sure if it'd be everyone's cup of tea--but I've been doing ACHV Peak dumbbell workouts from You Tube, and as long as you're not doing immense weights and grunting, they keep the pace going pretty well. They can last 20-30min, giving a timer cue usually of 40sec working followed by 20sec. rest. You can do a couple back-to-back (although follow the instructions for good form to prevent back issues). And, you can start off with any handheld weight you want.

Note: If some heavy breathing towards the end is a problem, though, I'm kind of at a loss for how you could do any cardio with absolutely no noise.

PS I assume for some reason you've ruled out a brisk walk outside (by far the best exercise all around), swimming, biking, hiking, or (my favorite after a therapy session) walking up & down a multistory staircase several times.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 9:27 pm

EEngineer75 wrote:
This might sound backwards--and I'm not sure if it'd be everyone's cup of tea--but I've been doing ACHV Peak dumbbell workouts from You Tube, and as long as you're not doing immense weights and grunting, they keep the pace going pretty well. They can last 20-30min, giving a timer cue usually of 40sec working followed by 20sec. rest. You can do a couple back-to-back (although follow the instructions for good form to prevent back issues). And, you can start off with any handheld weight you want.

Note: If some heavy breathing towards the end is a problem, though, I'm kind of at a loss for how you could do any cardio with absolutely no noise.

PS I assume for some reason you've ruled out a brisk walk outside (by far the best exercise all around), swimming, biking, hiking, or (my favorite after a therapy session) walking up & down a multistory staircase several times.

Okay thanks. I do weightlift as well, but it never gets my heart going much at all, cardio wise. It's freezing cold outside, and pools are hard to get into because of covid, where I am.

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2022, 10:27 pm

ironpony wrote:
Okay thanks. I do weightlift as well, but it never gets my heart going much at all, cardio wise. It's freezing cold outside, and pools are hard to get into because of covid, where I am.

I'm in NY and you are in Canada so I'm sure it's colder where you are than where I am, but I have found that when I go running at night it really doesn't matter what the temperature is. I just went tonight for example, and it was about 18 or 19 F (-6 or -7 C) and after a few laps I felt perfectly warm. As long as it's not snowing or the wind blowing it's just fine outside. If I was standing still I'd be frozen solid, but constantly jogging it's not a problem. And after 45 minutes I'm so warm that I have to take my hat and gloves off. Again, if it's considerably colder where you are then I understand, also it's no fun if it's snowing or icy. But if you've never tried it, you should give it a shot. You might be surprised how warm you get doing cardio outside.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 11:01 pm

Oh okay. Where I live it's been usually in between -4 and -31. My problem is when it's cold my lungs hurt a lot when I run. It's really hard on me when I've tried, unless there is a way around that?

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2022, 11:13 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. Where I live it's been usually in between -4 and -31. My problem is when it's cold my lungs hurt a lot when I run. It's really hard on me when I've tried, unless there is a way around that?

If the problem is the air being too cold on your lungs the only thing I can think of is trying something like a scarf/mask for cold weather activities.

https://www.amazon.com/Tough-Headwear-T ... s_li_ss_tl

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 11:29 pm

The air still goes through so it's still cold I would think but I can try. Thanks.

justin_havu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2022, 10:54 am

I use a stationary bike when it's too cold out to do anything. It's extremely quiet, and even though I have a downstairs neighbor (I live on the third floor of my building) and a neighbor next to me, I can pedal it and not disturb them.

Yes, it will work out your legs quite a bit, but I can get a good sweat going and my heart rate up pretty quick on it. The trick is to find a balance between your cadence (how fast you pedal) and the amount of resistance. If you find that you're pedaling too fast to try to get your heart rate up, slow down a little and increase your resistance a little. If your legs are burning too much and you're pedaling really slow, decrease the resistance and pedal a little faster.

My workouts go like this--I do two 25-minute workouts, one in the morning after waking up, then one in the evening.
I'll start pedaling between 70 and 75 RPM (If I want just a little bit more intensity, I'll go between 75 and 80 RPM) at a resistance level of 5 (My bike's resistance levels go from 1 to 25.) After 5 minutes, I'll increase the resistance to level 6. 5 minutes later, I'll go to level 7, and stay there for the rest of my workout, keeping my cadence the same, either 70-75 RPM, or 75-80 RPM depending on my preferred intensity level. My workouts right now last 25 minutes, but I'm slowly trying to build up my endurance by adding 5 minutes when I feel comfortable doing so. I will probably be increasing to 30 minutes by the beginning of next week.