Page 7 of 8 [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 7:42 am

A study showed that covid shrinks parts of the brain, this doesn’t sound good for the future of humanity.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 8:21 am

What happen to people noticing Faucis hand in the development of this virus strain . Too dumb to know that you don’t play with biowarfare type stuff , and not expect someone in power wanting to test it on the population.
And of course make it look accidental or blame it on someone eating bats in a outdoor market ..
“ Gain of Function” research . Of course Fauci was a investor in the Pfizer medical corp . The ongoing manufacturer of one of the antivirus fast track companies also . ( my thoughts are that this guy needed to be tried for war crimes)
But of course USA needed a War in Ukraine . To distract normal people from his activities .

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 10:30 am

I had COVID. I've had no aftereffects from it.

My lungs are fine. My brain is fine.

I'm not worried about the "state of humanity" because of COVID. i'm more scared of the rise of authoritarianism.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 11:00 am

Kratie , you seem to always have a way of saying things that sound very eloquent . Good on You !

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 12:10 pm

Trump’s Worst Judge Just Made Travel a MAGA Nightmare

Quote:
On Monday, Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle in Florida threw out the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s mask mandate for air travel and other forms of mass transportation.

Mizelle was appointed to the federal bench by President Trump in 2020. She was 33, and had been practicing law for only 8 years. She had never tried a case as a lead attorney. The Senate confirmed her even though the American Bar Association gave her a rating of “not qualified.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 5:22 pm

We still have to wear masks in the subways.....

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 10:33 pm

Jakki wrote:
But of course USA needed a War in Ukraine . To distract normal people from his activities .

...I'm pretty sure the war in Ukraine is actually something that is really happening, and not something fabricated by the US to distract people... ¬_¬

kraftiekortie wrote:
I had COVID. I've had no aftereffects from it.

My lungs are fine. My brain is fine.

I'm not worried about the "state of humanity" because of COVID. i'm more scared of the rise of authoritarianism.

I think my lungs are okay, but my brain is definitely not oaky ( <- shining example right there, lol), nor is my central nervous system.
Risk of heart problems goes way, way up after catching Covid, but I'm too afraid to get it checked out (and I know most of my heart problems are just anxiety).

I feel a lot better than I used to, but there is no way I am going to live to a "ripe old age" (or if I do, I'll be suffering too much from dementia to enjoy it).
But that's natural selection for you, gotta lower overpopulation somehow... :roll:

No authoritarianism in my state, it's quite the opposite. Hardly any masks in sight.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 9:18 pm

Philly ends mask mandate, days after reinstating it

Quote:
Philadelphia is ending its indoor mask mandate, effective immediately, city health officials announced Friday. Mask-wearing is now s​​trongly encouraged, but not required.

The abrupt reversal comes days after people in the city had to start wearing masks again amid a sharp increase in infections.

The Board of Health voted Thursday to rescind the mandate, according to the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, which released a statement that cited “decreasing hospitalizations and a leveling of case counts.”

The city is ditching not only the mandate, but also the risk assessment system — known as “response levels” — that triggered it in the first place. The city’s response system was stricter than the CDC’s, which put more emphasis on hospitalizations, and made Philly the first major U.S. city to reinstate its indoor mask mandate this week, sparking fierce blowback, including a legal effort to get the mandate thrown out.

Philly’s latest mandate went into effect Monday. Philadelphia had ended its earlier indoor mask mandate on March 2.
Bettigole told the Board of Health at a public meeting Thursday night that hospitalizations had unexpectedly gone down 25% in a matter of days.

Despite the city abandoning it, Bettigole said the response levels system worked as intended — by causing people to increase precautions ahead of the mandate. She said it was the warning the week prior, not the mandate itself, that curbed the spike.

he city does not plan to create a new system of metrics to trigger mandates, but will instead rely more on mask recommendations and warnings going forward, Bettigole said.

“The paying attention to that 50% increase in cases over 10 days, even if cases are relatively low, I feel like that is, in part, what bought us that decrease in hospitalizations that we’re seeing now,” she said. “So I think it’s useful to be able to tell people in a sort of forecasting way, this is what we’re seeing — but without the mandate.”

When the city announced April 11 that mandatory masking was coming back, Bettigole said it was necessary to forestall a potential new wave driven by an omicron subvariant. She said Philadelphia had crossed the threshold of rising cases at which the city’s guidelines call for people to wear masks indoors.

“It kind of looks indecisive when you make a decision and then four days later, you say no,” said Seble Grima, who was eating lunch with family at a cafe in West Philly Friday when she heard the news. “Like, which one is it?”
Grima worries the city’s backtracking could erode its credibility.

“The hard part is, how do you decide later on, is it really bad or is it not?” she said. “That’s why you have people that kind of fight wearing the mask.”

The restaurant industry had pushed back against the city’s reimposed mask mandate, saying workers would bear the brunt of customer anger over the new rules.
“I guess it’s nice to not have to have those conversations with people anymore,” said Juan Lopez, a barista in a coffee shop in West Philly.
Lopez probably won’t stop wearing a mask at work, but the end of having to ask customers to comply with the mandate did come as a relief.
“A lot of people take those opportunities to virtue-signal about how they’re free thinkers or whatever, when that’s not really my job,” Lopez said.
Several businesses and residents filed suit in state court in Pennsylvania seeking to overturn the renewed mandate. The Board of Health’s vote to rescind the mandate came after board members met in private to discuss the lawsuit.

Bettigole seemed to acknowledge Friday that the reaction of businesses played a part in the city’s decision making.

“We designed [the response level] system back in February with a lot of stakeholder input from the business community, with the idea that if we did have to trigger something, everybody was already on board,” Bettigole said. “That clearly has not worked. So, you know, I think the idea of then building a different system based on updated metrics doesn’t necessarily make sense.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 2:15 am

Many Americans Are Celebrating the End of COVID-19. Here's What It Feels Like When You're Not
The linked article contains a series of cartoons I cannot reprint here.

Quote:
People across the United States are ditching their masks, resuming their lives, and celebrating the end of COVID-19. But for millions of Americans, the pandemic is far from over. An estimated 40% of U.S. adults have at least two conditions that put them at increased risk for severe COVID-19, and parents of young children are still waiting for a vaccine.

Now that so many people are moving on from the pandemic, these vulnerable populations face even bigger challenges. With vaccines and masks no longer required in most public spaces, including public transportation and airplanes, they will have to make difficult sacrifices to protect their health. And others will have no choice but to put themselves at risk.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 6:12 pm

You Were Right About COVID, and Then You Weren’t

Quote:
In the spring of 2020, as Americans continued to proclaim their excitement for basketball games and parades, an ER doctor named Dylan Smith watched in dismay. Was everyone else ignoring reality? That March, New York City hesitated to close its schools during the city’s first COVID wave. Smith was horrified. A major pandemic was arriving, and softening its blow would require closing schools, which he believed was the best way to protect kids. “There were a lot of suggestions that kids would be these super–carrier vectors,” he says, “where they would come home and they would infect Mom and Dad and Grandma and Grandpa, and they would infect teachers at school.”

Now, two years later, Smith has changed his mind. He thinks schools should’ve reopened much sooner—by early 2021 at the latest. In other words, Smith admits to rethinking one of his positions on COVID-19, an act that sometimes feels as risky as telling 17th-century Florentines that Earth revolves around the sun. Not everyone will agree with Smith’s reassessment. But maybe we can learn something from his willingness to do it.

Smith started having second thoughts about school closures in the fall of 2020. Unlike in the early days, his hospital, by that point, had plenty of tests. Kids didn’t seem to be getting very sick from COVID, and they appeared to have no greater risk of spreading it than everyone else. “This idea that kids were going to be these crazy vectors was no longer being borne out,” he says.

Then, he began to see kids come into the hospital with mental-health emergencies at alarming rates. Kids were having panic attacks and trying to kill themselves; some were saying they were stressed out because they couldn’t see their friends. What he saw mirrors national trends: 37 percent of high schoolers have experienced poor mental health during the pandemic, according to a CDC survey.

But as in other parts of the country, pediatric psych wards in Northern Virginia were so full that the kids would remain in the ER for three or four days while the doctors tried to find an open psychiatric bed. “They were just sitting in an ER room,” Smith told me. A social worker would stop by each day to check on them, and someone would roll a TV console from room to room. In the summer of 2020, he started to see younger and younger kids involved in shootings and stabbings. (Gun violence among kids younger than 17 spiked nationally in 2020.)

After vaccines became widely available in 2021, Smith didn’t see any further justification for school closures. When people expressed doubts about school reopenings, he made his opinion clear: The science supported it.

Confessing that we’ve changed our opinion is hard, and not only because we don’t like feeling stupid, or looking stupid, or being exiled from certain circles of Twitter. “If I admit I’m wrong, then I have a harder time relying on my own judgment every time I make a decision or have an opinion,” says Adam Grant, an organizational psychologist at the University of Pennsylvania and the author, most recently, of Think Again “I’m admitting that my convictions about the world are often incorrect, and that that makes the world a little bit scarier to live in.”

Tenelle Porter, a psychologist at UC Davis, studies so-called intellectual humility, or the recognition that we have imperfect information and thus our beliefs might be wrong. Practicing intellectual humility, she says, is harder when you’re very active on the internet, or when you’re operating in a cutthroat culture. That might be why it pains me—a very online person working in the very competitive culture of journalism—to say that I was incredibly wrong about COVID at first.

“Don’t let your ideas become part of your identity,” said Grant, the organizational psychologist.

Thinking like a scientist, or a scout, means “recognizing that every single one of your opinions is a hypothesis waiting to be tested. And every decision you make is an experiment where you forgot to have a control group,” Grant said. The best way to hold opinions or make predictions is to determine what you think given the state of the evidence—and then decide what it would take for you to change your mind. Not only are you committing to staying open-minded; you’re committing to the possibility that you might be wrong.

Because the coronavirus has proved volatile and unpredictable, we should evaluate it as a scientist would. We can’t hold so tightly to prior beliefs that we allow them to guide our behavior when the facts on the ground change. This might mean that we lose our masks one month and don them again the next, or reschedule an indoor party until after case numbers decrease. It might mean supporting strict lockdowns in the spring of 2020 but not in the spring of 2022. It might even mean closing schools again, if a new variant seems to attack children. We should think of masks and other COVID precautions not as shibboleths but like rain boots and umbrellas, as Ashish Jha, the White House coronavirus-response coordinator, has put it. There’s no sense in being pro- or anti-umbrella. You just take it out when it’s raining.

Understanding when to abandon beliefs and when to recommit to them can help us ride out this pandemic and prepare for the next one. In a pandemic, we need “to be continually discovering and learning new things,” Porter told me. Still, she added, in a moment of intellectual humility: “I don’t know that we have hard data on that.”

Though people often deride those who change their mind as hypocrites, Grant and others think it’s a mark of integrity. It’s a sign that you’re committed to the truth, not committed to an idea.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 1:57 pm

So happy to finally be able to close the books on this plandemic. The truckers saved the world, IMO. god Bless Them!! :heart:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 3:10 pm

^^^^^^^^^^. DITTO. ^^^^^^^^

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 4:35 pm

No closing books here.

5th Wave? New York COVID Hospitalizations Top 2,000, Nearly Tripling in a Month

Quote:
New York COVID-19 hospitalizations topped 2,000 for the first time since late February on Tuesday, rising nearly three-fold in just a month as highly contagious subvariants of omicron trigger pleas for renewed caution from officials locally and nationally.

The upward trend continued Wednesday.

As of Gov. Kathy Hochul's latest update, 2,119 New Yorkers were hospitalized with COVID across the state's 10 regions, a 153% increase since April 3 alone though still well below the nearly 13,000 admitted during the variant's January surge peak.

The rate of COVID hospitalizations per 100,000 New Yorkers has more than doubled in the same period, from 4.25 to 9.84, state data shows, with the Finger Lakes fueling the latest increases at a regional rate of 28.04 COVID hospitalizations per 100,000 residents on a seven-day rolling basis. And while just 47% of hospitalized patients with COVID statewide were admitted for that reason, the numbers bear monitoring.

While no scientific evidence to date links BA.2.12.1 to more severe COVID-linked illness or reduced vaccine efficacy at this point, the heightened transmissibility appears clear.

No new COVID protocol will be implemented (or reimplemented) at this point in the city, but should the alert level reach high -- the highest of the three laid out by health officials -- an indoor face mask mandate for all people regardless of vaccination could return.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 9:08 pm

Fixxer wrote:
So happy to finally be able to close the books on this plandemic. The truckers saved the world, IMO. god Bless Them!! :heart:

Truckers didn't do anything except drive up the price of gasoline, help pollute the air, spread the virus to each other, and piss off a lot of drivers who were just trying to get to work.

The book is far from closed. Over one million citizens of the United States have died, and millions yet are having to live with permanent damage from Long Covid.

Millions. Studies show that 40-60% of the US has had COVID, and anywhere between 33-80% of survivors will have some form of Long Covid, so that's over 46 million people, at lowest estimate.

That's tens of millions of people who are too sick to work, and who are going to be a huge financial burden on this economy and the health care system, if they aren't already.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 10:04 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
That's tens of millions of people who are too sick to work, and who are going to be a huge financial burden on this economy and the health care system, if they aren't already.

If it's the USA, I expect they'll be pretty much left to the wolves and that the burden on the public purse won't be as big as it would be if the USA looked after its casualties more humanely than it does. Not that I'd argue against the gist of what you're saying. Covid certainly isn't over for everybody, whoever picks up the tab for the damage. In the UK the cost of living has jumped up a lot recently, and it's not all because of the new Cold War against Putin. Covid was a serious blow to the economy and the healthcare system. Taxes on ordinary people are going up, many important health services have practically vanished, and I can't see the economy picking up any time soon in real terms when people are having to severely rein in their spending just to survive at all.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 10:26 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
If it's the USA, I expect they'll be pretty much left to the wolves and that the burden on the public purse won't be as big as it would be if the USA looked after its casualties more humanely than it does.

That is partially true...not everyone who has LC is going to be able to win disability, but a good portion of them are still seeking medical treatment, and I sincerely hope they aren't paying out of pocket...

But money aside, it's getting harder and harder for people to even receive the treatment they need; the system is overwhelmed, and health care workers are overworked and/or leaving the field. They're tired of getting yelled at and spat on.