Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 10:37 am

Forbes
Steven Salzberg is a Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, and Biostatistics at Johns Hopkins University.

Quote:
Last week the Biden administration was criticized for making some harsh statements about those who refuse to be vaccinated. “For the unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — for themselves, their families and the hospitals they'll soon overwhelm. But there's good news: If you're vaccinated and you have your booster shot, you're protected from severe illness and death,” said Biden.

That statement came in for much criticism on social media, especially by those who took the statement out of context. “You’re not going to convince anyone to get vaccinated with such harsh language,” some scientists complained.

Well, true. But as someone who’s been fighting the anti-vaxxers for years, I recognized the Biden team’s statements as Stage 3 of what I’m calling the Five Stages of Anti-Vax Angst. I understand their frustration, because I’ve been there myself. Let’s go through these stages, shall we?

Stage 1: Disbelief.
I first encountered the anti-vax movement, in the early 2000s, when I was leading a research project on sequencing the flu virus , and a reporter asked me, quite seriously, if the flu vaccine could cause autism.

Surely, I thought, the solution is simply to educate people better, and to explain that vaccines are the single greatest medical advance in the history of medicine With better education, the anti-vax movement will quickly fade.

Stage 2: Frustration
Unfortunately, merely writing articles explaining the benefits of vaccines is not nearly enough. Officialdom (government agencies like the CDC and NIH) constantly issues statements about the benefits and safety of vaccines, such as this CDC website. Scientists and physicians have written hundreds of articles and countless books explaining how beneficial vaccines are, to no avail.

What these books and others reveal is that the anti-vaccine movement is loud, committed, and (unfortunately) highly influential. For every article or book written by a clear-headed vaccine advocate (and there are many!), there are multiple articles and books promoting wildly inaccurate claims that vaccines cause harm. Trying to refute these claims is like playing whack-a-mole.

Scientific bloggers have learned that no amount of patient explanation can get through to some people, and the anti-vaxxers just won’t quit. Eventually, some of them move on to Stage 3.

Stage 3: Anger.
This is where the Biden administration finds itself. After months or years of explaining, pleading, and even begging people to get vaccinated, the crazy, irrational, and often angry opposition of anti-vaxxers (or the “vaccine hesitant,” to use a kinder term) can be just too much.

Stage 4. Persistence.
For those who get past Stage 3 (or skip it entirely), there’s a realization that even though some anti-vaxxers are simply beyond reasoning with (I’m looking at you, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Joseph Mercola), that doesn’t mean we can’t fight back. We have to recognize that misinformation is out there, and that some people will continue to spread it no matter what we might say. But there are strategies that work to convince others to get vaccinated, and we have to keep trying. That’s persistence.

For example, a study early this year showed that just a dozen people were responsible for a large majority of the vaccine misinformation across most of social media, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram. I and others have called for social media companies to de-platform these harmful individuals, which could go a long way towards slowing down anti-vax propaganda.

Another strategy, illustrated by Paul Offit’s 2010 book, is to reveal how anti-vaxxers often profit from their misinformation.

Stage 5. Surrender.
In the face of stubborn opposition, and sometimes virulent and personal attacks, some people eventually just give up. It’s easier, of course, to stop fighting people who just don’t want your help, and I can’t blame anyone who does. When I call this stage “surrender,” I don’t mean to suggest that pro-vaccination and pro-science advocates ever accept the wildly misinformed views of the anti-vaccine movement. Of course not. It’s just that some people decide they can no longer spend time on what seems an endless battle.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 2:27 am

Well, there really is no changing the mind of some people. All that can be done is putting in measures to protect those who are doing the right thing.