Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 10:51 am

I've not really felt like wanting to create my business because I don't know what I would do and I don't know if I would be able to keep it running long term in order to make a living out of it. The things I'm interested in are animals and nature, history, music, and reading and writing and making lists.

I've never been into a career in business and economics. I used to like art and design at school, college and uni but I have since not been interested in it anymore because I feel my interests keep switching from one to other and being interested in something else and I have in my own time tried to write my own book about something else. I got given suggestions by my dad and others for jobs in advertising or graphic design at one point and wasn't interested in those anyway and I probably would have needed qualifications for it. I still haven't made it and still planning it out and I seem to think I enjoy the preparations and ideas more than producing the final outcome.

I seem to think I've been in a state of limbo and that even when I was creating ideas for a book even though I wasn't in any employment at the time that it was as though I was a ''nobody''.
The trouble is I never stuck to one field of a passionate interest and made a career from it (for example: someone wanting to play a guitar and then becoming a musician with a contract and staying with that career) and kept changing.
I love listening to music rather than creating it, and I love animals but I like to see them and read about them rather than be a keeper or something.

I do feel like I envy those who have just left uni for example at 22 or 23 and already are successful and it leaves me thinking why wasn't I at that stage ? even though a part of me is telling me that there are doing something I am not interested in doing and it just seems to be really that they are looking smartly dressed in a nice suit and I do like wearing a suit myself. I used to like going out in a suit to interviews and it made me feel like ''someone''.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 10:59 am

You seem to have a lot of interests, but how about you imagine something you can see yourself doing for a long time? Even if you are not interested in something, maybe something you would find easy to do?

Maybe i am too pessimistic but i don't think everyone can have a job they love. It's enough to have a job you don't hate, and something you are capable of doing.

Also make a list of your qualifications, degrees, certificates and such, anything that can help you get a job. After that see if any of these match with the requirements of a career you would be interested in

jadedpenguin
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2021, 10:03 pm

chris1989 wrote:
making lists

What about inventory/librarian? It sounds like you enjoy organizing things? Also project manager comes to mind but I'm not sure how you get into it without expertise in *something*.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 6:58 pm

Yep. Go for your Masters in Library Science----especially if you have a Bachelor's in something like English.

There will be less need for "circulation clerks" and that ilk over the next few years or decades....but there will always be a need for someone to assist students in conducting research.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 9:02 pm

MLS is almost entirely technology, media (web) design, and online research skills. It involves multitasking more than "keeping books orderly". Most schools and universities are cutting Librarian positions but if the job is still available where you live it might be worth looking into.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 12:27 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
MLS is almost entirely technology, media (web) design, and online research skills. It involves multitasking more than "keeping books orderly". Most schools and universities are cutting Librarian positions but if the job is still available where you live it might be worth looking into.

I'm also guessing the supply of holders of Master's Degrees in Library Sciences is significantly greater than the demand.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 8:23 am

Maybe you are all right about the MLS.

Maybe go for something in healthcare? Or something like Medical Coder?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 1:32 pm

chris1989 wrote:
. . . and reading and writing and making lists. . .

B2B sales is all about summarizing information.

I sold mattresses for a year, and it was a lot more ethical than I thought it would be. And the fact that it was a topic-based conversation helped me A LOT. And I became good with questions similar to those I had heard before. In fact, repeating the question in a natural and respectful way can help to give the customer confidence that they have been heard. Just don’t overdo this.

Problem 1: Seemingly half of sales companies are rip-offs, often to both their customers and employees. And if it’s not quite half, these certainly churn through employees and always seem to be looking for new people.

Problem 2: Just like as a baseball player, you’re going to go through both up periods and down periods. These may not be strictly inevitable, but they are statistically highly likely. The way to respond to a down period is to become very deliberative, and although you might shorten a step to make for better flow, you shouldn’t out-and-out skip a step.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 04 Jan 2022, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 1:33 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I've not really felt like wanting to create my business because I don't know what I would do and I don't know if I would be able to keep it running long term in order to make a living out of it. The things I'm interested in are animals and nature, history, music, and reading and writing and making lists.

I've never been into a career in business and economics. I used to like art and design at school, college and uni but I have since not been interested in it anymore because I feel my interests keep switching from one to other and being interested in something else and I have in my own time tried to write my own book about something else. I got given suggestions by my dad and others for jobs in advertising or graphic design at one point and wasn't interested in those anyway and I probably would have needed qualifications for it. I still haven't made it and still planning it out and I seem to think I enjoy the preparations and ideas more than producing the final outcome.

I seem to think I've been in a state of limbo and that even when I was creating ideas for a book even though I wasn't in any employment at the time that it was as though I was a ''nobody''.
The trouble is I never stuck to one field of a passionate interest and made a career from it (for example: someone wanting to play a guitar and then becoming a musician with a contract and staying with that career) and kept changing.
I love listening to music rather than creating it, and I love animals but I like to see them and read about them rather than be a keeper or something.

I do feel like I envy those who have just left uni for example at 22 or 23 and already are successful and it leaves me thinking why wasn't I at that stage ? even though a part of me is telling me that there are doing something I am not interested in doing and it just seems to be really that they are looking smartly dressed in a nice suit and I do like wearing a suit myself. I used to like going out in a suit to interviews and it made me feel like ''someone''.

What do you for a living right now? What jobs have you had?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 1:59 pm

rse92 wrote:

I'm also guessing the supply of holders of Master's Degrees in Library Sciences is significantly greater than the demand.

This is why I think it’s important to look at fields, such as sales or medicine, that just overall need more people.