Call for video clips to encourage social skills!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 7:59 pm

I chose to focus my post in the 'Social Skills & Making Friends' Forum.

Too much gets lost in translation in posting even well-thought out written content here in this WP Forum -which is often discouraging.

It's all too easy to fall into those tiring cycles of "semantic gymnastics" in posting well......the unwritten rules of social skills, friendships, etc, etc. etc. which tend to come natural (without explanations) to NTs.

If written content is unable to "break the ice" so to speak, lets reconsider video clips - that is video clips which might best pique interest towards taking those challenging steps to encourage social skills beyond small talk!

From my own personal experiences, such video-clips are often candid, surprisingly informal, unscripted, and avoid any of those mentions of those "How To" examples regarding social skills.

EXAMPLE of a video clip that piqued my interest: The PBS Series 'Art In The 21st Century' features a four and a half minute video clip (LINK) on the 'Creative Growth Center' in Oakland.

Through viewing the video, I sense opportunities to become acquainted with staff of arts programs that serve both the developmentally disabled, as well as adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96OZkx2bOs

Any additional links to helpful videos whose content is..............candid, informal, unscripted, and stays clear of those "How To" examples regarding social skills??

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 1:30 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
I chose to focus my post in the 'Social Skills & Making Friends' Forum.

Too much gets lost in translation in posting even well-thought out written content here in this WP Forum -which is often discouraging.

It's all too easy to fall into those tiring cycles of "semantic gymnastics" in posting well......the unwritten rules of social skills, friendships, etc, etc. etc. which tend to come natural (without explanations) to NTs.

If written content is unable to "break the ice" so to speak, lets reconsider video clips - that is video clips which might best pique interest towards taking those challenging steps to encourage social skills beyond small talk!

From my own personal experiences, such video-clips are often candid, surprisingly informal, unscripted, and avoid any of those mentions of those "How To" examples regarding social skills.

EXAMPLE of a video clip that piqued my interest: The PBS Series 'Art In The 21st Century' features a four and a half minute video clip (LINK) on the 'Creative Growth Center' in Oakland.

Through viewing the video, I sense opportunities to become acquainted with staff of arts programs that serve both the developmentally disabled, as well as adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96OZkx2bOs

Any additional links to helpful videos whose content is..............candid, informal, unscripted, and stays clear of those "How To" examples regarding social skills??

ADDENDUM:

RELATED WP discussion threads:

* In the 'Social Skills & Making Friends'Forum, 'Friendships W/People Receptive To Adults On Autism Spectrum.'

* 'Can Creating Art "Break The Ice" - Encouraging Friendships?'
viewtopic.php?t=395602

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 5:39 pm

MODERATE READ:

The request for video clips which best encourage efforts to "break the ice so to speak" seems like a "tall order of sorts!"

From my own personal experiences, productions of interest to 'PBS' 'Public Broadcasting Service' periodically pique interest - that is, I occasionally imagine myself in specific social situations being aired on PBS.

At this time, I cannot pinpoint specific broadcasts which pique interest - yet I feel what's of interest to PBS offers a good solid starting point for helpful video content!

PBS offers quality broadcasts encouraging thoughtful human values. Broadcasts unrelated to the concerns of adults on the Autism Spectrum -- can sometimes pique the interests for those concerned with the Autism spectrum.

I sense what best piques interest are candid, surprisingly informal, unscripted video content avoiding any of those mentions of 'how to' guidance.

In short, the video content which piques interest (again, what is of interest to PBS) comes in periodic "bits and pieces."

Hence, the best thing to do is note those specific parts of broadcasts which pique interest - in hopes that these "bits & pieces" of video content (posted here in this WP discussion thread) can reveal a mosaic pattern of interest - which might just best encourage adults on the Autism spectrum to "break the ice" to make friends (esp. friends who are frequent PBS viewers, and even periodic contributors).

It is hoped that key people with PBS read (and even respond to).........this discussion-thread.

After all, many of us are anticipating that PBS might just produce a broadcast which best tackles the concerns of adults on the Autism spectrum who are largely independent! - Such a broadcast might just truly "break the ice!!"

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 7:22 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
MODERATE READ:

The request for video clips which best encourage efforts to "break the ice so to speak" seems like a "tall order of sorts!"

From my own personal experiences, productions of interest to 'PBS' 'Public Broadcasting Service' periodically pique interest - that is, I occasionally imagine myself in specific social situations being aired on PBS.

At this time, I cannot pinpoint specific broadcasts which pique interest - yet I feel what's of interest to PBS offers a good solid starting point for helpful video content!

PBS offers quality broadcasts encouraging thoughtful human values. Broadcasts unrelated to the concerns of adults on the Autism Spectrum -- can sometimes pique the interests for those concerned with the Autism spectrum.

I sense what best piques interest are candid, surprisingly informal, unscripted video content avoiding any of those mentions of 'how to' guidance.

In short, the video content which piques interest (again, what is of interest to PBS) comes in periodic "bits and pieces."

Hence, the best thing to do is note those specific parts of broadcasts which pique interest - in hopes that these "bits & pieces" of video content (posted here in this WP discussion thread) can reveal a mosaic pattern of interest - which might just best encourage adults on the Autism spectrum to "break the ice" to make friends (esp. friends who are frequent PBS viewers, and even periodic contributors).

It is hoped that key people with PBS read (and even respond to).........this discussion-thread.

After all, many of us are anticipating that PBS might just produce a broadcast which best tackles the concerns of adults on the Autism spectrum who are largely independent! - Such a broadcast might just truly "break the ice!!"

ADDENDUM: (SHORT READ) Through searching 'YOUTUBE' with search terms 'ADULTS' 'ASPERGER' , I'm unable to find videos which meet the criteria discussed (in above WP response).

It's difficult to locate 'YOUTUBE' videos which go beyond interviews, and portray adults on the Autism Spectrum who seem NT-like. For example, social skills in settings that are candid, surprisingly informal, and unscripted.

Let's locate and post those "hard to find" video clips!

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 2:47 am

Thanks for the interesting video.

I found this one about communication. It's a bit basic but still good to help us remember how to start off a conversation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI2WXrZYffo

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 3:55 pm

Thank-you for posting this video clip. It's great to view a clip hosted by someone experienced with counseling people on the Autism Spectrum.

It would be interesting to view a candid, informal, and unscripted clips which might be something like "the day in the life" of a person experienced with helping people on the Autism spectrum make friends.

In my original (yes, I know wordy) post in this thread stemmed from my own personal experiences - that is, I felt that candid, informal, and unscripted videos might also pique the interests of many adults on the spectrum.

Keep posting these helpful video clips!

traven
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 1:11 am

ok don't panic, this belgium guy has an english channel too

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 3:42 pm

Glad this discussion thread is gaining traction via encouraging videos.

Have any of the speakers in these videos participated here on WP?

To clarify: It would be interesting to view candid, informal, and unscripted clips which might be something like "the day in the life" of..........the speakers in these videos!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 11:33 pm

Video Clip (7min 30sec) from Asperger/Autism NEtwork - www.aane.org

Neurotypicals and Empathy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp1pDIPrz9U

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 10:54 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Video Clip (7min 30sec) from Asperger/Autism NEtwork - http://www.aane.org

Neurotypicals and Empathy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp1pDIPrz9U

ADDENDUM:

AANE Asperger/Autism NEtwork (AANE) seems to be a model agency demonstrating best practices regarding resources encouraging for adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent - yet, it's disappointing that AANE does not have ample recognition here on WP - Why?

Reflecting on AANE's Past and Future: Video Clip (7min. 15sec.):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzqxDCRv12I