Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 8:53 pm

My friend called Aspergers an illness, Aspie is not illness, is it?

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 8:58 pm

No, it's neurobiological disorder.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 8:08 am

I would not call it a "disorder". Rather I see it as a neurological variant. The children Hans Asperger studied all went on to have successful lives.

There are many ways and an almost infinite combination of how neurological structures can present.The category defined by Aspergers is not as disadvantages as some other combinations.

Perhaps the biggest problem is the industrialization of education after WWII. When children are considered components to be processed, individual differences are not well tolerated.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 8:10 am

It's a blessing and a curse.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 11:55 am

timf wrote:
I would not call it a "disorder". Rather I see it as a neurological variant. The children Hans Asperger studied all went on to have successful lives.

While I agree with "variant" rather than "disorder", as I understand it the children he studied weren't diagnosed with Aspergers since the term didn't exist until after his death?
I wonder what diagnosis they would have had if it did exist, or with what they would be diagnosed with with the current system. My guess without much knowlege would be autism level 2.

/Mats