I don't share my special interests.
Sharing waters them down.
They're mine and mine alone.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 3:06 am

Dandansson wrote:
I don't really know what you mean by the term special interest.

In the context of autism, a "special interest" is an unusually intense interest. Having such interests is common among autistic people. Indeed, one of the diagnostic criteria (B3) is:

Quote:
Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g., strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests).

Of course, "excessively" is a value judgment. I personally consider special interests to be one of the good parts of autism. (UNLESS your special interest is a person, that is -- that's a recipe for heartbreak. Or unless your special interest is something inherently harmful.)

It should also be noted that not all autistic people have special interests. B3 is one of the optional criteria.