Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2021, 11:25 pm

Hello everyone! In my most recent session with my therapist she said completely unprompted that I "definitely have several autistic traits". Her son is autistic, so her opinion carries a lot of weight with me. I have never previously considered ASD as a diagnosis, so I have been doing a lot of internet research recently. Is it possible for someone with ASD to have only some autistic traits and not others? Whenever I do self evaluation tests I usually receive something like 70%. Some experiences really resonate with me and others don't at all. I have no problem reading other people's facial expressions for instance. But I have seen some discussions on this forum about the calculations some people with ASD do to determine what the correct amount of eye contact is in a given conversation, and this is definitely something I have done all my life.

I have been trying to schedule an official test with a local diagnostics office, but I probably won't be able to get an appointment for quite some time. I don't know anyone that has ASD, so I would love to hear what everyone here has to say on this, and what your experiences are!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 11:39 pm

Well, it's a spectrum; there's different traits and they can be experienced to different degrees.

Somewhat kinda depends on context. From a diagnostic standpoint there's a cutoff where one would be considered sub-clinical vs. meeting the diagnostic criteria.

Not enough traits, even if some are severe along with many traits, none of which are severe enough might both count as sub-clinical.

A person that one perceives as 'somewhat autistic' might actually be significantly impaired if they successfully mask well. I'm relatively well-spoken and can manage social interactions relatively well but also have significant struggles related to poor executive function.

Some of my reports from doctors would probably shock people I worked with but that doesn't mean the doctors and I aren't accurately assessing things, it means my coworkers didn't realize I was slowly unravelling nervous wreck who had to rely on stimulants, sleep-aids, painkillers and more just to attempt to function in the circumstances I had gotten myself into because I refused to admit I needed to pursue support.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 11:44 pm

Hello and welcome.

My opinion is that if your therapist thinks it's possible, and you do identify with some / many of the diagnostic criteria, it's worth pursuing an official assessment. That is, assuming you want to know for sure. You'll be on a wait list for quite some time, but you can use that time to gather more information about your childhood development or to learn about autism in more detail.

Somewhat autistic? No, just like a person can't be a little bit pregnant. That doesn't mean you are / aren't autistic, though. Only a licensed and experienced neuropsychologist can tell you that. :wink: I like the way FXE explained it, above. I didn't have the bandwidth to explain in such detail.

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2021, 11:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
A person that one perceives as 'somewhat autistic' might actually be significantly impaired if they successfully mask well.

The whole concept of masking is making it really hard for me to determine what traits I do and don't have. I'm 26, so by now I've figured out what the social customs are. Though when I'm around other people, and feel like I'm doing a good job passing, I do always have this persistent thought that what's going on inside my head is not what is going on inside their head right now.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 11:52 pm

Haverish wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
A person that one perceives as 'somewhat autistic' might actually be significantly impaired if they successfully mask well.

The whole concept of masking is making it really hard for me to determine what traits I do and don't have. I'm 26, so by now I've figured out what the social customs are. Though when I'm around other people, and feel like I'm doing a good job passing, I do always have this persistent thought that what's going on inside my head is not what is going on inside their head right now.

I feel you on that, except for sometimes being overly terse, missing jokes, stuff like that I think I do a decent job passing, but I also know it wears me out very quickly and that most extended interactions have that effect unless it's people I can be myself around (and those only rarely exist).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 11:56 pm

Don't forget, it's not all about social differences. I feel autistic even when I'm completely alone, because of my strict routines and rituals, my poor nonverbal understanding, and my wide range of sensory issues. Sensory (Part B) is evaluated just as much as social (Part A), in a clinical setting.

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2021, 12:03 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Don't forget, it's not all about social differences. I feel autistic even when I'm completely alone, because of my strict routines and rituals, my poor nonverbal understanding, and my wide range of sensory issues. Sensory (Part B) is evaluated just as much as social (Part A), in a clinical setting.

Good point! Though when I am alone it doesn't feel odd necessarily, because there is no one there to call out my behavior as being different. When I am forced to interact with other people is when it becomes apparent that we aren't speaking the same mental language.

But I do wear noise cancelling headphones 98% of the time I am awake. But again, I never thought that was odd until I started really assessing my own behavior recently and realizing other people wouldn't do that.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 5:33 am

I don't remember the exact criteria for getting an ASD diagnosis, but you don't need to have all of the traits present, and the severity of them don't have to be massive.
I certainly lack some traits myself, and/or have found workarounds for some.

It's kinda tricky when finding out as an adult. I was asessed and diagnosed one year ago and I'm 53.
I am often unsure if lacking traits are just traits that I've managed to handle. Or that I actually have problems with them but am happily unaware. Ie come out as weird, but thinks people see me as cool.

/Mats

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 6:42 am

autism is never the same thing in any person as in another, we are all so different. uneven neurological development is not the same in any single one of us. Some of us might share some things but we will never be "like" each other in all things.
Keep searching for good info, look for documentation to back up claims.
Ask loads of questions here, things get clearer as you go along.
Lots of past experiences to sort, lots of emotional homework, and for me, there were so many "aha" moments when I finally understood things in a way I never did before once I was able to look at how autism had always been working in my life without anybody knowing or understanding.
You are not alone.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2021, 10:31 am

mohsart wrote:
I don't remember the exact criteria for getting an ASD diagnosis, but you don't need to have all of the traits present, and the severity of them don't have to be massive.
I certainly lack some traits myself, and/or have found workarounds for some.

I am afraid at the assessment they are going to say "no you are not on the spectrum", and I don't know what I would do at that point. Because the traits are still there. I have always had this feeling that I have some condition that hasn't been named/discovered as a society, and 100 years from now when psychologists name it they will look back and say "oh yeah he had that".

autisticelders wrote:
Ask loads of questions here, things get clearer as you go along.
You are not alone.

I would love to, but I'm not exactly the most outgoing type of person :) , it took a lot of effort just to make this thread!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 4:10 pm

In my view, it's entirely possible to be "somewhat" autistic, i.e. autistic to a degree, in the sense that an individual's overall score on an autism test would be a number on a continuous scale from zero to whatever. Severity levels are already handed out with a diagnosis. Clearly it's dangerously reductionist to see ASD as a single number. ASD is a lot of traits, and even if you factor in how much each of them is messing with your life, which might be useful, it's still reducing a lot of traits to a single number. So I think degree of autism is a useful concept as long as we don't expect too much of it. If it's not useful, then why not go the whole way and ditch the entire concept of ASD, and just focus on the individual traits without trying to shoehorn them into any particular overarching label? I've already done that for years with IQ tests which I break down into aptitudes, and I barely recognise the IQ number itself. And similarly for ASD, though I don't deny it exists, when I try to develop coping strategies or capitalise on so-called ASD super-powers, I focus on particular traits.

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2021, 8:45 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
In my view, it's entirely possible to be "somewhat" autistic, i.e. autistic to a degree, in the sense that an individual's overall score on an autism test would be a number on a continuous scale from zero to whatever. Severity levels are already handed out with a diagnosis. Clearly it's dangerously reductionist to see ASD as a single number. ASD is a lot of traits, and even if you factor in how much each of them is messing with your life, which might be useful, it's still reducing a lot of traits to a single number. So I think degree of autism is a useful concept as long as we don't expect too much of it. If it's not useful, then why not go the whole way and ditch the entire concept of ASD, and just focus on the individual traits without trying to shoehorn them into any particular overarching label? I've already done that for years with IQ tests which I break down into aptitudes, and I barely recognise the IQ number itself. And similarly for ASD, though I don't deny it exists, when I try to develop coping strategies or capitalise on so-called ASD super-powers, I focus on particular traits.

I'm interested to hear you say that. This is what makes the most sense to me as well, rather than a simple YES/NO diagnosis.

But as to why pursue a diagnosis rather than treat all the individual behavioral issues... I think for me it's about being understood. I don't ever feel like I really 'fit in' when I am in social situations, and when I am alone I feel 100% completely alone on the planet. Being diagnosed with ANYTHING that can explain those feelings, and possibly connect me with other people that have similar feelings would be quite a relief. Though I understand the actual goal of treatment is going to be identifying and addressing particular behaviors and traits, regardless of whatever the overarching diagnosis categorizes me as.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 9:50 pm

Haverish wrote:
But as to why pursue a diagnosis rather than treat all the individual behavioral issues... I think for me it's about being understood. I don't ever feel like I really 'fit in' when I am in social situations, and when I am alone I feel 100% completely alone on the planet. Being diagnosed with ANYTHING that can explain those feelings, and possibly connect me with other people that have similar feelings would be quite a relief. Though I understand the actual goal of treatment is going to be identifying and addressing particular behaviors and traits, regardless of whatever the overarching diagnosis categorizes me as.

Yes that makes sense to me. Once you've checked quite a few of the ASD trait boxes, it becomes worthwhile to look at the other traits associated with ASD, and the chances are you'll recognise yourself in some of those too. With a bit of luck there will be others on the spectrum who can relate to some of your experiences etc.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 10:17 pm

Anyone can have autistic traits and not clinically have autism.

Anyone could clinically have autism and not have a lot of known autistic traits, circumstances and experiences.

There's having autism, and there's being autistic.
A person can do either, both or neither.

I'm the only one who know where my own disability ends and where my own neurodiversity begins.
A person can have all disability and no neurodiversity -- the same with someone who has all the neurodiversity and no disability.
The blur typically lies on "management" and "attitude" both in self and others.

Having autism is either you do or you don't, and only professionals can determine that.
Being autistic may mean one can be somewhat autistic -- usually seemingly similar in experience, inclinations, preferences and circumstances.

There are plenty of ways of being related to autistics without having autism.
And there's having autism and not being able to relate to autistics.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 10:01 am

Yes, at least in official documents. Sometimes when a person checks a lot of boxes but not enough to get an actual diagnosis, there will simply be a mention done by the doctors in official documents of the person having "autistic traits."

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2021, 10:54 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Anyone can have autistic traits and not clinically have autism.

Fireblossom wrote:
Yes, at least in official documents. Sometimes when a person checks a lot of boxes but not enough to get an actual diagnosis, there will simply be a mention done by the doctors in official documents of the person having "autistic traits."

Thanks for letting me know. I really had no idea it could work that way. I have been wondering what would happen if at my assessment they determine that I don't have ASD, yet I still have all these traits; what would that mean for me? So hearing that this is not unusual is somewhat comforting, although having these traits but not having any clinical diagnosis as to WHY I have these traits would certainly be frustrating.