Suggestions for noise cancelling headphones

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 7:01 pm

My new upstairs neighbors sound like elephants when they walk around. The thud thud thud across the ceiling is driving me nuts. Misophonia nightmare!

The previous owners put down laminate to make the place look nice to sell it, I noticed in the agency photos. But I don't think they put down sound proof underlay. I hardly used to hear them, but I don't think they were home much and the man often worked abroad. The woman was home most and she was a tiny lady who made no noise. Throughout lockdown they got stuck in another country and it was bliss to have absolutely no one upstairs. I've been spoiled for too long and this new noise is driving me mad.

I love my apartment and don't want to move. Noise cancelling headphones is my best bet.

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2021, 7:40 pm

I second this, I have been wanting noise cancelling headphones but can't find anything that would work for me. Budget recommendations would be great because I don't have 300 dollars.

Sminthian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2021, 7:55 pm

Earplugs. I usually wear foamies, Skullscrews are my favorite. They're like $2 a pair and can last for years.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 8:25 pm

I use Bose over-the-ear but sometimes I need classical music or other instrumental music - not just the earphones

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2021, 8:49 pm

I have been wearing the Bose Quietcomfort series for quite a few years now. They are around $300 full price, but it's not unusual to see them sell for $200 or even $150 sometimes. I wear them 95% of the time I am awake, and I think they are great. I have to replace them about every 1 to 1.5 years with the frequency that I wear them, so I would recommend a protection plan. And personally, it doesn't really matter what the price is, high quality headphones are a top priority for me.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2021, 3:22 am

Sminthian wrote:
Earplugs. I usually wear foamies, Skullscrews are my favorite. They're like $2 a pair and can last for years.

I need to listen to something playing in the background to fall asleep, so earplugs would stop the sound, but I would be wide awake.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2021, 3:22 am

Haverish wrote:
I have been wearing the Bose Quietcomfort series for quite a few years now. They are around $300 full price, but it's not unusual to see them sell for $200 or even $150 sometimes. I wear them 95% of the time I am awake, and I think they are great. I have to replace them about every 1 to 1.5 years with the frequency that I wear them, so I would recommend a protection plan. And personally, it doesn't really matter what the price is, high quality headphones are a top priority for me.

I've heard Bose are good. I supppose £250 is cheaper than selling my apartment.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2021, 6:58 am

These ones look quite good and a lot cheaper than Bose at £150 (still expensive though)

Sony WH-XB910N

Had to laugh at this review

Quote:
The noise cancelling works exceptionally well. Just be aware that you may not hear the next station announcement on the train, and miss your stop ( luckily only a 20 minute detour).

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2021, 7:15 am

These are cheaper still at £99

ReviewSennheiser HD 458BT

Quote:
I got these for the noise cancellation. As a student who had most work online it was difficult to concerntrate over the sounds of cabin fever settling in across student accommodation. Got these, I was sleeping better, managing to spend large amounts of time doing assignments without hearing a peep from others and actually actively listening to music

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 10:16 am

Ok, I've gone for a more recent version of the Sony earphones recommended on the home page.

I didn't realise there was a thread with people's comments on the brands availabe in 2018

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=369154

I've ordered the Sony WH-1000XM3. They are cheaper now because they have been replaced by the Sony WH-1000XM4. Its difficult to find the M3 model in stock, but John Lewis had some for £160. I will update on how I find them.

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2022, 6:19 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Ok, I've gone for a more recent version of the Sony earphones recommended on the home page.

I didn't realise there was a thread with people's comments on the brands availabe in 2018

I've ordered the Sony WH-1000XM3. They are cheaper now because they have been replaced by the Sony WH-1000XM4. Its difficult to find the M3 model in stock, but John Lewis had some for £160. I will update on how I find them.

I've stayed away from Sony because of the haptic controls. I was always afraid I would accidentally be pressing them when I touched the headphones, or when I'm using them in bed. You'll have to let me know how you like them.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 7:41 pm

That put me off at first, but I figure it will be like my phone and require fingertip contact. I'll need to see.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

01 Jan 2022, 10:16 pm

I've tried all kinds of earplugs, of all kinds of sizes and shapes, and viewed the reviews to many more, I really second the foam earplugs, they've been the most comfortable and most sound isolating, but not all are created equal. Polyurethane are the softest but maybe not best for beginners bc they can break if you dont use them correctly, there are some stiff ones, Quies, with a curvy bell shape and a glaze over them which are the fastest to get into the ear, and good sound protection, but they might be hard to get used to as there is inner ear pressure especially if I push them too deep, but now I use them the most since I broke my polyurethane ones by twisting them in opposite dirrections. There are Flints, which are hard to get in for me, fiance doesnt have any issue but might have bigger ears, but really comfy and not bad at all on sound. I tried Equate, I think from Walmart or a grocery store? Theyre not as good on multiple aspects.

I have to say when you're trying to game or wanna listen music or even want to have a comfortable ear experience, nothing compares to noise cancelling wireless headphones. The cancelling sound isnt just isolating but gives that experience of not going nuts because of sound being muffled or nothing being heard.

My one experience was a suggestion from my fiances cousin who has a ton of headphones and knowledge about them, he said these are affordable, and indeed even compared to my country prices they are. Theyre from the US, my fiance bought them for me. I have to say theyre the only ones I tried, they may be a bit heavy or stay on the scalp with weight and they arent to be worn while laying down bc noise cancelling in them gets too loud if you lay on the side with them, I read some dont do that. I also cant say they have the best microphone for talking to others, or I just dont know how to use it. it's not very loud. Other than that they offer good cancelling, sounds that sound HD in games, comfortable soft ear cups over ear, comfortable experience, some sounds are slightly audible but voices you cant make them out or hear at all, and it really helps with loud argumentative and cussing neighbors or firecrackers. They offer the best and fastest recharge, long lasting battery for wireless with the cancelling on, which ive seen the others be much less than these are. This is essential trait for wireless. Soundcore Life Q20, made by Anker.

I hear Phillips makes good ones.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 6:21 pm

My experience with the Bose QuietComfort is that they are based on the active-noise canceling which was originally developed for airplane pilots and they do a VERY good job or eliminating low frequency noise like the fans for the AC at work, but not as good at canceling the noise of someone having a conversation two cubicals over or the guy I used to share a office with. For me the choose was quit my job, get fired for poor productivity or buy some good ear phones. If I listen to Bach or some other classical or instrumental music it helps me concentrate. The only problem with some classical pieces is they have periods of silence, or the volume of the instruments varies a lot during a piece. During the quiet parts I may have to turn up the volume or skip to the next song (or just put up with the break through noise). When I shared an office with this one guy who have conference calls or people in for meetings or just friendly visits it helped a lot to have some music. It made it "all go away". Just the noise canceling alone would completely eliminate the fan noise from the AC but not the talking.

I think a lot of active noise canceling works just like this. When the sound is continuous it is easier to cancel.

When the music was on sometimes I would miss lunch because I couldn't hear my buddy (in the same room) asking me if I wanted to go to lunch.

So now I have set up my laptop to automatically shut down five minutes before lunch.

Haverish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2022, 10:36 pm

Fenn wrote:
My experience with the Bose QuietComfort is that they are based on the active-noise canceling which was originally developed for airplane pilots and they do a VERY good job or eliminating low frequency noise like the fans for the AC at work, but not as good at canceling the noise of someone having a conversation two cubicals over or the guy I used to share a office with. For me the choose was quit my job, get fired for poor productivity or buy some good ear phones. If I listen to Bach or some other classical or instrumental music it helps me concentrate. The only problem with some classical pieces is they have periods of silence, or the volume of the instruments varies a lot during a piece. During the quiet parts I may have to turn up the volume or skip to the next song (or just put up with the break through noise). When I shared an office with this one guy who have conference calls or people in for meetings or just friendly visits it helped a lot to have some music. It made it "all go away". Just the noise canceling alone would completely eliminate the fan noise from the AC but not the talking.

I think a lot of active noise canceling works just like this. When the sound is continuous it is easier to cancel.

When the music was on sometimes I would miss lunch because I couldn't hear my buddy (in the same room) asking me if I wanted to go to lunch.

So now I have set up my laptop to automatically shut down five minutes before lunch.

You might want to check out the newest in the Bose over-ear noise canceling series, the Bose Noise Cancelling Earphones 700. They were just released June 30th 2021. The general consensus from the reviews I have read say that the sound quality is pretty much identical to the QuietComfort series, but Bose has redesigned the noise cancelling system for a much better noise cancellation effect. When my current pair of QuietComforts needs replacing I will be trying the 700s. I can make a post about them when I do. Here is a link to the amazon USA page.

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-Cancelling- ... 39896&th=1

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 4:09 pm

Haverish wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

I've stayed away from Sony because of the haptic controls. I was always afraid I would accidentally be pressing them when I touched the headphones, or when I'm using them in bed. You'll have to let me know how you like them.

Looks like I bought the last pair John Lewis had.

I love these headphones. Wore them in bed and the touch controls weren't activated by the pillow. You need to be precise with it when you swipe with your finger, so is not easy to activate.

I'm amazed at the noise cancelling feature. I was listening to a video and had the noise cancelling on and couldn't hear my washing machine on full spin, but I could feel the floor moving.

I can't heard my neighbours thud, thud, thudding across the floor either.

I'm very impressed.