Shocked about Betty White's passing

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2022, 12:39 am

I know she was 99 and lived a good, long life, but I'm in shock that she is no longer with us. This doesn't feel real. I thought that she was going to live to be 100 and beyond. I thought she would be around for at least another 5 to 10 years. She always said that she was in good health at her age and she had big plans to celebrate her 100th birthday. I guess her death is both shocking and not shocking at the same time. It is shocking because she had been in the headlines for weeks gearing up for her 100th birthday which is on January 17th. It also isn't shocking because she was 99 and anyone who lives to be that age can go unexpectedly any day. It just proves that if you live a good, long, healthy life, death will eventually catch up to you. None of us are spared from the grim reaper.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 12:43 am

She was a good actress and all but what's the big deal about someone 99 years old dying?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 2:04 am

So shocking.... :roll: I remember Kirk Douglas, 103. Its more shocking these celebrities live that long, if anything.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jan 2022, 11:02 am

Does anyone know what her cause of death was :?: I just heard that she passed away peacefully in her home which is probably one of the best ways to die if there is a good way to.

MSBKyle wrote:
It just proves that if you live a good, long, healthy life, death will eventually catch up to you. None of us are spared from the grim reaper.
We could spend our whole lives trying to do everything rite to avoid death & we will all still die eventually in the end. We could spend our whole lives avoiding smoking, drinking, & drugs, & we can work out regularly, eat organic, take supplements, go out in the sun regularly, get plenty of sleep, & wear a mask 24/7, & every one of us will all still end up dying. We could live our lives trying to cheat death only to lose in the end or we we can try to make our lives matter to the people who are important to us & have some fun in the process.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 11:10 am

Shocked?  No.

Saddened?  Yes.

When you get to be a certain age, and start attending more funerals than baby showers, you also start anticipating the deaths of people your age and older.  The fact that Ms. White was a kind and generous person -- always seemingly upbeat and optimistic -- coupled with her acting talent and indefatigable energy, made her an endearing presence wherever she was working.

All of the people of my grandparents' generation, most of the people of my parents generation, and an ever-growing number of my own generation have died.

There is hardly anyone left for me to look up to or to go to for advice.  It feels like I am walking on an ever-narrowing path toward a darkened precipice beyond which nothing can be seen or known.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 11:14 am

Every new year's eve, my ex used to say "I wonder who will die this year?", pertaining to ageing celebrities.

He was especially intent with "I wonder if George Burns will die this year?" -- For some reason he thought George Burns would be invincible and he was always taking bets on when it would happen. Apparently he died in 1996 right at the end of our relationship, but strangely I don't remember his death. (My ex must have lost the bet and kept it quiet).

My daughter once said that he checked a website called "Who Are You Older Than?" or something like that, on a daily basis, to see which celebrities he had outlived. He took a perverse joy in this, for some bizarre and likely narcissistic reason.

Morbid and creepy? Yes

The reason I find new year's foreboding and scary? Likely

Rest in peace to the great Betty White, such a truly classy woman.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 9:26 am

I think it's a bit of a bummer that she died so close to the 100 milestone. Same with Prince Philip. But I can't say it's shocking or even all that sad really. What would be shocking to me is if I lived another 40 years. I was still just a teenager 40 years ago, so another 40 years? Mind boggling.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 9:37 am

we all gotta go sometime. good ol' ms. white checked off all the usual bucket list boxes and much more. she had "been there and done that." so, IMHO the higher part of herself, her oversoul, called her home. in heaven she will be given a chance to rest up from the busy life she had, then she will likely busy doing good angelic works, perhaps even comparing notes with the spirit that was allen ludden. their agonizingly delayed reunion can be expected to be abounding with utter joy and at long last relieved longing. :star: :heart: :heart: :star:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 10:04 am

I heard she died three days after a booster vaccine. Hmmm.

I'm sure it's coincidence but still really sad.

She seemed to be well lately, on all her interviews and 100th birthday interviews.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 10:13 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I heard she died three days after a booster vaccine. . .

F A L S E ! !

When beloved American actor and comedian Betty White died at the age of 99 on Dec. 31, 2021, no specific cause of death was immediately made public, though police said she appeared to have died from natural causes.

With the COVID-19 pandemic still a major public health concern, social media rumor-mongers were quick to invent a specific cause of death out of whole cloth: White, they claimed, died just three days after supposedly receiving a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot on Dec. 28.

Upon what evidence was this claim based?  Only a fabricated quote -- something there’s no record of White actually saying — attributed to a Dec. 28 media interview in which the supposed quote does not actually appear.

. . .

Source:
 This Snopes Article 

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 10:45 am

That's good to know. I saw it last night when it hadn't been debunked yet, even though I wasn't blaming the vaccine for her death. I knew it would cause a lot of media hype either way and that made me feel sad for her. That's not how she should be remembered -- even if she had one.

RIP to the great Betty White

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 2:53 pm

I think she decided it was time for her to check out 1ce she found out that it rained fish in Texas.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/01/us/t ... index.html
It rained fish over a Texas town this week in a bizarre weather event

Quote:
(CNN)It's raining fish in east Texas -- but it's nothing too out of the ordinary.
Earlier this week, residents of Texarkana reported small fish falling from the sky in what seemed like an epochal weather event. The reality was more mundane: The swimmers, many of them palm-sized, were likely picked up by a waterspout and dropped back down to earth as it lost momentum, the city told residents in a Facebook post.
The fish showers are an example of "animal rain," the city explained, and "while it's uncommon," it can happen when the weather is just right -- and the fish are just light enough.
The animals didn't originate in the sky before they started raining, of course -- rather, they were picked up off the ground by powerful waterspouts, which begin in the air and move down toward water's surface. As these spouts gain momentum, the vortex at the center of the waterspouts can start picking up small, light objects -- including fish. And when the waterspout loses energy, those small objects come falling back down, explains the Library of Congress.

Updrafts -- super-strong winds -- are more powerful than waterspouts and can pick up animals larger than skinny fish, according to National Geographic, including birds, bats, frogs and snakes.
The residents of Texarkana were by all accounts relatively nonplussed by the bizarre weather event. Tim Brigham told CNN affiliate KSLA he thought it was "pretty cool" to see tiny fish falling from the sky and useful, too -- he said he "started to get me a bucket and pick them up for fishing bait." The employees of Discount Wheel and Tire stepped away from the tires and instead started cleaning up their parking lot's surprise seafood platter.
Others shared photos of their own backyard fish finds after the city's Facebook page asked them to "show us your fishy pics." Most of them were no bigger than the palm of the hand of the resident who took the photo.
Texarkana's animal rain may be one of the only recorded instances of the phenomenon in the state, but California last saw the same thing in 2017, when elementary school officials in Oroville reported that 100 fish fell from the sky and onto school property. Fish have fallen from the sky in the town of Lajamanu in Australia's Northern Territory at least three times in the last 30 years, per the Weather Channel.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 3:32 pm

nick007 wrote:
I think she decided it was time for her to check out 1ce she found out that it rained fish in Texas.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/01/us/t ... index.html
It rained fish over a Texas town this week in a bizarre weather event
Quote:
(CNN)It's raining fish in east Texas -- but it's nothing too out of the ordinary.
Earlier this week, residents of Texarkana reported small fish falling from the sky in what seemed like an epochal weather event. The reality was more mundane: The swimmers, many of them palm-sized, were likely picked up by a waterspout and dropped back down to earth as it lost momentum, the city told residents in a Facebook post.
The fish showers are an example of "animal rain," the city explained, and "while it's uncommon," it can happen when the weather is just right -- and the fish are just light enough.
The animals didn't originate in the sky before they started raining, of course -- rather, they were picked up off the ground by powerful waterspouts, which begin in the air and move down toward water's surface. As these spouts gain momentum, the vortex at the center of the waterspouts can start picking up small, light objects -- including fish. And when the waterspout loses energy, those small objects come falling back down, explains the Library of Congress.

Updrafts -- super-strong winds -- are more powerful than waterspouts and can pick up animals larger than skinny fish, according to National Geographic, including birds, bats, frogs and snakes.
The residents of Texarkana were by all accounts relatively nonplussed by the bizarre weather event. Tim Brigham told CNN affiliate KSLA he thought it was "pretty cool" to see tiny fish falling from the sky and useful, too -- he said he "started to get me a bucket and pick them up for fishing bait." The employees of Discount Wheel and Tire stepped away from the tires and instead started cleaning up their parking lot's surprise seafood platter.
Others shared photos of their own backyard fish finds after the city's Facebook page asked them to "show us your fishy pics." Most of them were no bigger than the palm of the hand of the resident who took the photo.
Texarkana's animal rain may be one of the only recorded instances of the phenomenon in the state, but California last saw the same thing in 2017, when elementary school officials in Oroville reported that 100 fish fell from the sky and onto school property. Fish have fallen from the sky in the town of Lajamanu in Australia's Northern Territory at least three times in the last 30 years, per the Weather Channel.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 12:19 am

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate she died of old age.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 7:50 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate she died of old age.
I was told in school that old age is no longer listed as an official cause of death. They look deeper than that & try to figure out exactly what screwed up 1st.