Is it time for a zero tolerance policy on hate speech?

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 4:25 pm

Recently there have been some very offensive things posted on WP which have caused upset and driven some members away.

Within the site rules it allows debate but... some of what is posted is just hate speech. I'm fully aware of freedom of speech but there is, in my opinion, no such thing as permissible hate speech towards members of WP directly or indirectly.

I think the rules on here are too lax in allowing these people to cause such distress. I understand that many people have their problems but hating on others... this has consequences to their target.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 7:50 pm

I think this site is TOO politically correct, in my opinion. People here get all wound up when someone says they don't care for a certain group of people and they get accused of hate speech when it isn't that at all.

What I feel is the worst thing is when someone personally attacks someone for having high anxiety issues or has a harmless opinion on something or whatever. There's nothing worse than that because it's personal.

When people badmouth a group of people, it doesn't need to be taken personally, and usually it isn't meant personally either. For example, if I said I dislike old people it doesn't mean I hate your grandmother. I think people on the spectrum have trouble understanding this.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 8:24 pm

I think you're right in saying this site has become too PC.

What is really needed is a proper definition and analysis of what constitutes 'hate speech'. The scope of this term has been massively expanded and redefined in recent times, to a worrying degree in my view, and with alarming potential consequences for countries that are allegedly still democracies.

For example, the traditional definition of marriage was non-controversial fifteen or twenty years ago, and no-one would have been attacked for upholding it. Five or ten years ago, one could be regarded as a 'social conservative' for upholding it, but few would have questioned your 'right' to do so. Today it is regarded by many as 'hate speech' to support such a view, and you'd probably get closed down on this site for so doing.

To take another topic - the question of climate change has been a source of lively debate and controversy in recent years. Just in the last 12 months or so though, I've noticed that a very influential group (hopenothate.org) now includes climate change scepticism in its definition of 'hate speech'.

Even poking fun at 'woke' ideology is a hazardous business these days, as I and numerous others have found, even on nominally conservative forums. I'm actually left-wing to a large degree, and am opposed to neoliberal economics, privatization, Thatcherism, consumerism and so on, but the PC stuff and Identity Politics just alienate me completely.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 9:58 pm

Hmm, a "zero tolerance" policy on a website for people with a communications disorder; what could go wrong?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 10:05 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Hmm, a "zero tolerance" policy on a website for people with a communications disorder; what could go wrong?
Zero tolerance for “hate speech” mandates a single clear and concise definition of what “hate speech” really is.

With some people declaring that criticism of their beliefs is “hate speech”, this could get tricky.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 5:18 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I'm not going to be using WP anymore.

I've been getting increasingly tired of seeing transphobic BS the entire time I've been on here, and it's become apparent that a good amount of users don't really respect me or other trans people on here, even if they pretend to. It's lowkey dehumanizing to be on a site with a userbase like this, and I honestly shouldn't have stayed here in the first place when I noticed this crap after signing up.

I've also realized that I get a lot more negative feelings than positive ones from using WP due to this, so I guess this is where my time here needs to end.

If a policy is driving people away like this it needs looking at.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 6:46 am

I'm so sick and tired of everyone getting offended over simple disagreements calling out "hate speech" everytime they see someone who disagrees with their views/opinions.

THIS kind of behavior is the reason why people are moving away from WP.

I might as well be calling your thread hate speech.
You're calling for ban on people who disagree with you.

Why should you enjoy more right to freedom of expression than your opponents?
I agree personal attacks should not be allowed. But I don't see a lot of personal attacks.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 6:56 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
I'm so sick and tired of everyone getting offended over simple disagreements calling out "hate speech" everytime they see someone who disagrees with their views.

THAT is the the reason people are moving away from WP.

Sometimes these "views" are thinly veiled attacks calculated to be within the existing rules by a malicious poster whose sole intent is to cause harm.

Hate speech isn't a disagreement over views.

Disagreements I can absolutely understand people getting a little butthurt over.

I will also point out that if someone feels unsafe in a community they will leave... we're meant to be a place where people can feel safe.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 7:05 am

maycontainthunder wrote:
thinkinginpictures wrote:
I'm so sick and tired of everyone getting offended over simple disagreements calling out "hate speech" everytime they see someone who disagrees with their views.

THAT is the the reason people are moving away from WP.

Sometimes these "views" are thinly veiled attacks calculated to be within the existing rules by a malicious poster whose sole intent is to cause harm.

Hate speech isn't a disagreement over views.

Disagreements I can absolutely understand people getting a little butthurt over.

I will also point out that if someone feels unsafe in a community they will leave... we're meant to be a place where people can feel safe.

I don't feel safe on WP because when I make posts/threads that I find harmless, I often find them to get locked and getting a moderators attention/warning for posting my disagreements on various topics which _I_ find non-controversial, but which people get offended over.

One example are threads about the circumcision debates. I have never attacked jews, muslims etc. but I do find that circumcision should be a choice of the child when it reaches the age of 18, so it can decide what to happen to its own body, only exception being when there's a medical need for a surgical procedure.

Yet people get offended and call that hate speech, antisemitism etc.

Or when I questioned the trans gender policies, a topic that is completely a no-go on WP.

I haven't attacked trans people at all, but people get offended because I disagree with mainstream politics and opinions on that subject.

I don't feel safe AT ALL with that much censorship and even personal accusations against me for being transphobic and antisemitic when I am definitely NOT!

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 7:29 am

^ One of the issues with the internet is we can't 'see' you saying things; your expression, for example, would tell a great deal about your true attitude on this subject. It can very, very difficult for many on the spectrum to interpret something written and derive the true meaning from it. I've made mistakes and misunderstood what people have written on here a few times; it happens.

I think you need to learn when to step away from a thread as well as when not to respond to a comment in a new thread in which is something you disagree with. This is not me having a go at you in any way, shape or form... this is something I've learnt.

Many times I have typed a post in the heat of the moment then decided against posting it. I always try to think how something I post might affect others... I have mental health issues so I have no desire to trigger someone else's.

Walking away from someone who is trying to goad you into an argument is the hardest thing to do. I'm not 100% perfect on this but I try to avoid getting into arguments online... they are a complete waste of effort.

In the same vein when people post their opinions and I don't agree with them... agree to disagree and move on. It works for me and may work for you... the first few times will be hard walking away but you hopefully will feel better for it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Jan 2022, 7:39 am

The problem, thinkinginpictures, as we've discussed at length - is the way you sometimes phrase your disagreements and as I've said, I understand that your intention is always to avoid posting hate speech or antisemitism. I should also stress that none of the moderators think any worse of you in these situations.

Fnord wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Zero tolerance for “hate speech” mandates a single clear and concise definition of what “hate speech” really is.

With some people declaring that criticism of their beliefs is “hate speech”, this could get tricky.
All this. ^

It works both ways: people sometimes go too far in expressing a disagreement and spill over into something problematic - and people sometimes read too much into what was posted and take offence to it.

There is very rarely a black-n-white tickbox solution to unravelling these communication issues to the satisfaction of those involved.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 8:22 am

This site is even becoming PC about paedophilia. If there comes a time where we are forced to tolerate paedophilia then I will be leaving, as I refuse to be part of a site that supports paedophiles.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 8:24 am

This Site doesn’t support pedophiles….that’s for sure!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Jan 2022, 8:37 am

Joe90 wrote:
This site is even becoming PC about paedophilia.
That's simply not true.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 8:43 am

Cornflake wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
This site is even becoming PC about paedophilia.
That's simply not true.

No but I have a feeling it is heading that way.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=402370

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Jan 2022, 8:46 am

Nope, still not true.