Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 6:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
There are three ways I would go about this.

1.If she is a stranger she could be flirting with you or being friendly. Without any body language or context it's hard to tell.

2.If she is a college, friend, or a person that works there ALWAYS assume that she is using it as a term of endearment and that she is comfortable with you but don't assume she likes you romantically because it usually doesn't go well. Many women do that to be nice. You can ask her but be prepared to play it off like it's nothing or it will be awkward.

3.If she is older than you than it is common for women to use "darling", "honey", "baby", etc(especially in southern US) when speaking to someone younger than them.

But, these are experiences from what I have seen, read, and heard, also experienced myself.

Agree with point 3, also applies Australia. Regarding points 1/2 I really can't see a younger female calling a stranger or colleague or friend "darling"? Never heard it in my life or on TV.

To be fair points 1 & 2 really didn't start happening until like late 2000s early 2010s. At that point you would've been about 35-40 which is after the age in which men and boys stop encountering that sort of thing. It usually happens to guys in their 20s- early 30s(if you aged well). Though it can still happen to you it would just be rare, I have seen a woman that was like 26-27 call a 52 year old man "boo"(which in my opinion is VERY disrespectful!).

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

1.If she is a stranger she could be flirting with you or being friendly. Without any body language or context it's hard to tell.

2.If she is a college, friend, or a person that works there ALWAYS assume that she is using it as a term of endearment and that she is comfortable with you but don't assume she likes you romantically because it usually doesn't go well. Many women do that to be nice. You can ask her but be prepared to play it off like it's nothing or it will be awkward.

3.If she is older than you than it is common for women to use "darling", "honey", "baby", etc(especially in southern US) when speaking to someone younger than them.

But, these are experiences from what I have seen, read, and heard, also experienced myself.

Agree with point 3, also applies Australia. Regarding points 1/2 I really can't see a younger female calling a stranger or colleague or friend "darling"? Never heard it in my life or on TV.

To be fair points 1 & 2 really didn't start happening until like late 2000s early 2010s. At that point you would've been about 35-40 which is after the age in which men and boys stop encountering that sort of thing. It usually happens to guys in their 20s- early 30s(if you aged well). Though it can still happen to you it would just be rare, I have seen a woman that was like 26-27 call a 52 year old man "boo"(which in my opinion is VERY disrespectful!).

Point taken, yes, I was not circulating around single girls in the time period you mentioned.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 7:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

Some younger women do talk like that....I have certainly ran into that a few times buying things from gas stations. It always makes me think they sound like a grandma.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 8:21 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

Some younger women do talk like that....I have certainly ran into that a few times buying things from gas stations. It always makes me think they sound like a grandma.

In the late 1990s there was a popular UK comedy sitcom called "Absolutely Fabulous" starring Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley which became so popular in Australia it was referred to by the shortened "Ab Fab". The main stars would always greet people with "hello darling" and use the term "darling" fairly liberally to just about everyone.

I am not sure if this type of cultural zeitgiest at the time primed young girls in the 2000s to use the term darling? but honestly I have never ever heard any female except older women use it.