Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 3:16 am

uncommondenominator wrote:

Really? Seems more like people whining and moaning cos only FOUR million people "like" them instead of the usual FIVE million. Also, say it again , but slower. P R I V A T E. C O M P A N Y. Private means PRIVATE. How exactly their PRIVATE platform becomes "da new publik space!" does seem a little mysterious. Please do explain. When facebook and twitter got popular, did the Real World cease to exist? Did all IRL public spaces suddenly vanish from reality? The presence of protesters in the real world streets seems to indicate that actual public spaces still exist, and are still used, too.

Wow, you're really trying hard to be dumb here seeing as how I didn't make any comments regarding the rights of private companies to regulate their online spaces, it's like you're so interested in picking a fight with me that you're willing to put on the clown shoes and the makeup to do it. For the sake of argument, I can pretend you don't know what is meant by "de facto public space", but frankly you're plenty tiresome even without me assuming you're less bright than you are. Do you also need me to pretend that you don't know why it's funny for the "literal fascism" crowd to cheer on the public/private partnership suppressing disfavored views, or is that one obvious enough for your fellow midwits to admit understanding?

Social media is not a public space. It is a privately-owned space, made available to the public, contingent upon compliance of agreed-upon rules. Just cos you're "out in public" or "publicly visible" doesn't mean you're in a Public Space. Just cos the whole neighborhood can hear you when you shout from my front yard, doesn't change the fact that it's MY front yard. A shopping mall is not "public space" just cos it's open to the public.

Somma y'all seem like you'd scream "FASCISM!" if your momma made you eat your veggies as a child. The horror! Spoiled brats screaming "fascism!" any time they don't get their way. Acting like being reprimanded is literal torture.

Anything less than "getting your tongue cut off"? Lol wut? That's quite a leap, from "twitter ban" to "rendered physically incapable of speaking". I mean, now that she doesn't have twitter all she has left is facebook, instagram, reddit, tumblr, tik-tok, fox-news, her seat as a congressperson, the ability to speak openly in public, etc, etc. That's practically NOTHING! The poor woman! Just imagine how dark and barbarous things were before twitter existed!

In all fairness, if they were that "silenced", I wouldn't still be hearing them screeching about it.

IT'S TWITTER FFS. If Twitter dies one day, are y'all gonna shed a tear for the loss of so much free-speechification? How many people on here would even notice if Facebook shut down right now, other than hearing other people whining about facebook being gone? If twitter failed tomorrow, would you be all up in arms lobbying congress to fund it's continuation? Or would you simply join any one of the other social media sites, and start complaining there, too.

*gets banned from a social media site*
*joins 8 other social media sites*
"OMG can you believe it, I've been SILENCED!! !"

:roll: :roll: :roll: clearly... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Social media gave the average moron the exposure normally only afforded to people in formal media or politics. And attention is addictive. "NO! NOT MY LIKES! I NEED THEM! VALIDATE MEEEEEE!" Sure, sometimes it's a convenient tool, and offers some useful benefits in some cases - but twitter is also a hundred million idiots babbling for 140 characters at a time. If all social media ceased to exist tomorrow, I somehow feel like life would go on just fine. Some individuals would probably be desperate for a "like" fix for a while... "noooooo, need followers, must feel important somehow...!"

If I've never used twitter at all, does that mean I'm even more "silenced" than she is? I don't use instagram or tik-tok either. I barely use facebook. IT MUST BE THE WORK OF FASCISMS!! ! I'VE BEEN SILENCED AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT! Quick, somebody help me make a youtubes! I can FEEL my freedom slipping away as we speak!

All this talk of FASCISM! reminds me of a child I once knew that would quite literally hurl herself onto the ground and start flailing and screaming "HELP! ABUSE!" in public any and every time her father wouldn't cave into her every whim. Usually over toys or candy.

This topic is a good laugh though.

Little free advice, aside from the reading comprehension that should go without saying:

https://writers.com/concise-writing

Omit needless words.

Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subject only in outline, but that every word tell.

You're a one trick pony, and it's not a very good trick. What's next,accusing me of tRAsh tAlK again? Then, you're also the one that thought calling me "dorks" was the height of wit, so maybe this really is the best you can do as you follow me around the forum, kind of sad if that's the case.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 7:26 am

Dox47 wrote:
Wow, you're really trying hard to be dumb here seeing as how I didn't make any comments regarding the rights of private companies to regulate their online spaces

Yeah you did.

Dox47 wrote:
It's like some people can't grasp why allowing private companies to arbitrarily limit who has access to the modern public square might be problematic, which is particularly ironic coming from the literal fascism crowd.

The "de facto public space" is the internet which I believe MTG still has full access too. Facebook , Twitter Et al are just dark busy clubs around the square which have a very strict dress code - if you don't don clown shoes and makeup you don't get in.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 11:27 am

Dox47 wrote:

Wow, you're really trying hard to be dumb here (trash talk) seeing as how I didn't make any comments regarding the rights of private companies to regulate their online spaces (you actually did), it's like you're so interested in picking a fight with me that you're willing to put on the clown shoes and the makeup to do it (trash talk). For the sake of argument, I can pretend you don't know what is meant by "de facto public space", but frankly you're plenty tiresome even without me assuming you're less bright than you are (trash talk). Do you also need me to pretend that you don't know why it's funny for the "literal fascism" crowd to cheer on the public/private partnership suppressing disfavored views, or is that one obvious enough for your fellow midwits to admit understanding? (trash talk)

Little free advice, aside from the reading comprehension that should go without saying:

https://writers.com/concise-writing

Omit needless words.

Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subject only in outline, but that every word tell.

You're a one trick pony, and it's not a very good trick (trash talk, and you've said this before, too). What's next,accusing me of tRAsh tAlK again? Then, you're also the one that thought calling me "dorks" was the height of wit (did I?), so maybe this really is the best you can do as you follow me around the forum, kind of sad if that's the case.

Well, lets see, you've called me dumb, a clown, tiresome, "less bright", a mid-wit, a one-trick pony, and sad. Please, tell me again how you totally don't trash talk. Then you can say "it's not trash talk, its FACTS!", and then I can point out that that's just more trash talk. So yeah, I think it's fair to accuse you of more trash talk.

Hey, remember that time that you mocked me for using AlTeRnAtInG CaPs? But I bet you're being ironic, which makes you kool for doing it. Yes, I called you "dorks", and that was the end of it. I don't remember celebrating or anything that would indicate that I felt it was the "height of wit". All I was doing was mocking you and pepe for similarly bastardizing my name like a couple of schoolkids, which you two seemed rather pleased with. It really seems like I'm the one living in your head, what with all the imaginary fan-fics you keep writing about me.

I know you don't read what I write, but do you even read what you write? It's like you're just copying what other people say about you, and hurl it back. If you truly believe in brevity, then you could save yourself a lot of trouble and just say "I know you are, but what am I?" over and over.

You spend an awful lot of time engaging someone you claim isn't worth engaging.

Hey remember that time you said you only need two paragraphs to cut someone up? Still waiting :heart:

Hey, I know, call me stupid again. I'm sure it will TOTALLY work THIS time. Clown shoes? Better to be a comedy than a tragedy :wink:

As for your rules of brevity, based on what drug-fueled logic should I give a rotting toss what you think the rules for writing should be? Furthermore, your own rules state that "This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short", which seems to undermine your incessant whimpering about my audacity to write at length. It seems like you're just trying to invent ways to "tie my hands" as it were. Part of me wants to take that as a challenge, and start writing even longer, since the snippets I write here are but a fraction of the length of the papers I usually have to pen. Another part of me wants to take that as a challenge and start replying to you entirely in Haiku. Here's two for now.

Dox makes many claims
Never any evidence
Now comes the trash talk

Petty posturing
Thinks everyone is stupid
Acting like a brat

I can also reply in the form of a song, if that's preferable.

Noooooo oooneeee talks s**t like Dox
No one throws fits like Dox
No one gaslights and picks fights for kicks quite like Dox
His sick burns are highly OVER-rated
Who thinks he's greeeeaaaaaat? Mostly just Doooooox!

Perhaps a meme is more your speed? It's even short, with very few pesky words.

Please, let me know what silly rules you'd like (me, not you of course) to adhere to, to compensate for your lack of skill and ability with the written word.

Yes, sometimes I do clown around. But do remember - some clowns make themselves look foolish, and some clowns make others look foolish. Some clowns merely help others make fools of themselves. Is being called a clown supposed to hurt my feelings? How fragile do you think I am? Is this the best you've got? Cut me up already. I was promised a cutting up, in two paragraphs or less. Is this the height of your wit? (sad trombone sound)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Jan 2022, 3:02 pm

! Cornflake wrote:
Now that tempers have flared, please calm down and let's have no more of it.
It should be possible to discuss this topic without getting snippy with each other.

I know it's more fun to strut around with little sharpened sticks but it takes the discussion nowhere and when that happens, the chance of a thread being locked or vanishing increases proportionally.

Play nicely.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 4:52 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Yeah you did.

Then you should have no problem quoting the part in my one paragraph post where I did so.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 5:02 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
Yeah you did.
Then you should have no problem quoting the part in my one paragraph post where I did so.
He already did.
Dox47 wrote:
It's like some people can't grasp why allowing private companies to arbitrarily limit who has access to the modern public square might be problematic, which is particularly ironic coming from the literal fascism crowd.
Please explain why you think private fora are part of the "modern public square"; why you think private companies arbitrarily limit who has access to the "modern public square"; and why you think that fascists would find this ironic.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 5:25 pm

Well, lets see, you've called me dumb, a clown, tiresome, "less bright", a mid-wit, a one-trick pony, and sad. Please, tell me again how you totally don't trash talk. Then you can say "it's not trash talk, its FACTS!", and then I can point out that that's just more trash talk. So yeah, I think it's fair to accuse you of more trash talk.

Am I not supposed to point out your numerous flaws and deficiencies just because you're going to whine about my "trash talk"? For someone who constantly complains that people are trying to tie your hands, silence you, label you in such a way that no one will take your seriously, etc (all of which you manage to inflict on yourself anyway), you sure do it a lot yourself, trying to preemptively take criticism of yourself off the table by labeling it unfair or poor sport, while engaging in the exact same behavior yourself.

Hey, remember that time that you mocked me for using AlTeRnAtInG CaPs? But I bet you're being ironic, which makes you kool for doing it.

Yep, that's how it works when you build an attack style around a tired cliche, other people get to make fun of you for it.

You spend an awful lot of time engaging someone you claim isn't worth engaging.

Worth engaging and fun to bat around are not the same thing; you're like one of those sand filled inflatable punching bags that just keeps popping up; it doesn't really gain me anything to knock you down again, but it's amusing to do it.

Hey remember that time you said you only need two paragraphs to cut someone up? Still waiting :heart:

Given your blinkered vision, I imagine you'll be waiting a long time, not a lot I can do about that.

Hey, I know, call me stupid again. I'm sure it will TOTALLY work THIS time. Clown shoes? Better to be a comedy than a tragedy :wink:

I actually wasn't calling you stupid, I was calling you malicious, or intentionally dense in your seeking out a fight, but I guess pointing out your inability to see that could be seen as questioning your intelligence.

As for your rules of brevity, based on what drug-fueled logic should I give a rotting toss what you think the rules for writing should be? Furthermore, your own rules state that "This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short", which seems to undermine your incessant whimpering about my audacity to write at length. It seems like you're just trying to invent ways to "tie my hands" as it were. Part of me wants to take that as a challenge, and start writing even longer, since the snippets I write here are but a fraction of the length of the papers I usually have to pen. Another part of me wants to take that as a challenge and start replying to you entirely in Haiku.

Well, there's a whole tradition of brevity and concision in writing that hardly emanates from me, and we're online, a medium that calls out for clarity and literary efficiency, but also, it seems to piss you off for some reason, as accurate criticism has a way of doing, so here we are. By all means knock yourself out, it just gives me more opportunities to cut out the crazy bits and mock them, and if each post takes you longer to write, that means you can write fewer of them, a net gain for the community.

I'm also not sure where you got drug fueled from, have you been reading my posts about my ketamine therapy? Granted, being high would probably make "debating" you fairer as it might bring me closer to your level, but it's not my normal practice.

Here's two for now.

Dox makes many claims
Never any evidence
Now comes the trash talk

Petty posturing
Thinks everyone is stupid
Acting like a brat

I can also reply in the form of a song, if that's preferable.

Noooooo oooneeee talks s**t like Dox
No one throws fits like Dox
No one gaslights and picks fights for kicks quite like Dox
His sick burns are highly OVER-rated
Who thinks he's greeeeaaaaaat? Mostly just Doooooox!

Perhaps a meme is more your speed? It's even short, with very few pesky words.

All I'm going to take from this is that you don't ever get to make any claims about rent free living in anyone's head again, you're literally penning poems and songs about some guy on a discussion board, that's dare I say a bit creepy. Also, my shtick is that I bring the evidence and I beat you up with it, as can be seen in 14 years of post history clearly available by clicking on my name, adding "liar" to your list of flaws.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Jan 2022, 5:37 pm

! Cornflake wrote:
As this thread has already collapsed into pointless noise:

... and had already generated three reports, I'll put it out of its misery now.

Locked.