Christian persecution in the United Kingdom

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 4:21 pm

Just to clarify, the comments I made were pertaining to religions of all faiths in the context of academia.

I'm not talking about Christianity and I'm talking about culture or daily life.

It's a friend's thesis and I thought it was relevant so I mentioned it as food for thought.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 4:22 pm

Some "intellectuals" may recoil at what some Christians use as a default answer to science questions: "G^D did it!"

• What causes AIDS?  Some Christians would say, "Not the HIV, but the Wrath of G^D against the sin of homosexuality."

• Why hurricane Katrina?  G^D's wrath again; directed at the prostitutes and voodoo practitioners of New Orleans.

• Why do babies die?  G^D needs more angels.

I could go on, but these beliefs and other beliefs like these are why I hate religion (even though I still believe in G^D).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 4:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
Some "intellectuals" may recoil at what some Christians use as a default answer to science questions: "G^D did it!"

• What causes AIDS?  Some Christians would say, "Not the HIV, but the Wrath of G^D against the sin of homosexuality."

• Why hurricane Katrina?  G^D's wrath again; directed at the prostitutes and voodoo practitioners of New Orleans.

• Why do babies die?  G^D needs more angels.

Of course that's inappropriate and unjustified. Again, that's not what I'm describing though. In my friend's context, she posits that a mere affiliation with any religion can ruin an academic's career, even if they aren't practising, referring to it, or making religious overtures in their field of study (this includes all departments: STEM scientists, politicians, humanities, social sciences, and economics).

I thought it was an interesting topic because of discrimination law and the prevalence of prejudice (assuming a person from another country follows a certain religion, even if it's only cultural adherence).

Of course we need a separation of church / state, and I'm not referring to anyone who would blame hurricanes on God.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 4:46 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
The fact that the conservative commentator doesn't agree that Christians are persecuted, and doesn't defend Christianity, really does prove the point that Christianity is an underdog in the United Kingdom. Even the people you would expect to defend it, do not.

Christians are persecuted more than any of those groups, because they don't have any voice in the United Kingdom, whereas all of those other groups do have a significant voice, apart from disabled people and homeless people, within UK, mainstream media.

Refugees have been blithered on about since I have been a child, on the BBC. Muslims too.

It's all the more insulting considering that the entire history of the United Kingdom is based on Christianity and as such, Christianity should be the number one priority with a greater weighting than any of those character groups. :idea:

See, I think that this shows a bit of a persecution complex, where all the talk about being accepting of other groups is actually hiding feelings of thinking that Christianity is more important than them still, and any special treatment of other groups or lessening of nay special privileges is somehow persecution. I don't think that you realise how much privileges Christianity has in your culture, especially if you think that it is somehow an underdog in comparison to other groups.

You said that "Christians are LGBTQ+ friendly/accepting", that there are a bunch anti-trans problems that have especially been prominent in Britain, that it has become a bit of a meme in online spaces to call it TERF Island, and that anti-trans stuff is coming from the more conservative people, which is a lot of the Christians. I think that you might be deluding yourself into believing that Christians are some of underdogs that are friendly to all the other groups and don't get the same back. And as for being looked down on within STEM, do you think that it might really just be the sciences just in general don't look favourably at faith based approaches, with the same reaction to really any religion? Perhaps an only difference being that Christians thinking that they are persecuted if they are not given all the special treatment.

The biggest and main reason for Christians who are not LGBTQ+ accepting is the boomer generation. Once they have had their glorious time upon this Earth, the next generation of Christians for a new age shall take their place, and rule supreme, over the dying masses & deceased bodies of the vaccinated and those marked with the beast.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 4:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
. . . a mere affiliation with any religion can ruin an academic's career, even if they aren't practicing, referring to it, or making religious overtures in their field of study (this includes all departments: STEM scientists, politicians, humanities, social sciences, and economics). . .
This may be because when people hear you are a member of any random religion, they imagine all kinds of anti-science beliefs in you, or they associate you with the snake-handling and poison-drinking fundamentalists who roll around on the floor while speaking nonsense and beating their "demon possessed" brothers and sisters to death.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 4:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
. . . a mere affiliation with any religion can ruin an academic's career, even if they aren't practicing, referring to it, or making religious overtures in their field of study (this includes all departments: STEM scientists, politicians, humanities, social sciences, and economics). . .
This may be because when people hear you are a member of any random religion, they imagine all kinds of anti-science beliefs in you, or they associate you with the snake-handling and poison-drinking fundamentalists who roll around on the floor while speaking nonsense and beating their "demon possessed" brothers and sisters to death.

Exactly my point: needless bigotry and stereotype.

For example Fnord, you are an Engineer and you go to church, although you aren't especially religious and you are a firm believer in the scientific method / empirical thought. What I'm describing is the fact that people like you are often shunned from academia and / or teaching positions, even if they aren't believers, just because of bigoted assumptions.

Some people are what you describe above, but most aren't.

*I'll step out now because it's not the same topic as the OP

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 03 Jan 2022, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 4:55 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
The biggest and main reason for Christians who are not LGBTQ+ accepting is the boomer generation.  Once they have had their glorious time upon this Earth, the next generation of Christians for a new age shall take their place, and rule supreme, over the dying masses & deceased bodies of the vaccinated and those marked with the beast.
The lack of acceptance among Christians for LGBTQ+ people has more to do with Old Testament Fundamentalism than with any specific generation.

Sneaking in more anti-vaxx lies and associating the vaxxed with the Beast of Revelation is a dirty trick.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2022, 4:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Perhaps an only difference being that Christians thinking that they are persecuted if they are not given all the special treatment.
This generally seems to be the case. They've been treated special for so long, that being treated like everyone else feels like "persecution".
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression." -- Clay Shirky, July 2016

Christians in the US have existed in a bubble of "privilege", falsely believing that the USA was founded on Christianity.  Thus they also believed that they were the only "real" American citizens.

Christian Americans are discovering that more and more of them have have neighbors who are Atheist, Buddhist, Jew, Islam, Sikh, et cetera; that many of those "blasphemous" people are healthier, wealthier, and better-educated; and that American Christians are no longer G^Ds "chosen people" (as if they ever were).

Nothing screams "Christians under attack" more than seeing a Methodist church's run-down property getting sold to a wealthy Buddhist sect.

“Equality feels like persecution when you’re used to privilege” is pretty much number one in the list of virtue-signalling internet liberal clichés (see Bradleigh, uncommondenominator and Fnord above for variations on this smug, gaslighting theme).

By the way, this thread is meant to be about the UK. I just thought I’d better mention that before it drifts off into a discussion about the United States.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 5:00 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Exactly my point: needless bigotry and stereotype.  For example Fnord, you are an Engineer and you go to church, although you aren't especially religious and you are a firm believer in the scientific method / empirical thought. What I'm describing is the fact that people like you are often shunned from academia and / or teaching positions, even if they aren't believers, just because of bigoted assumptions.  Some people are what you describe above, but most aren't.
People like me are also shunned and ridiculed by people who lack any STEM education at all -- I get it from all sides.  But I always have the last laugh from having education in both the Christian religion (2 years at a Seminary) and Electrical Engineering (4+ years at university), so I know more about both the Bible and Science than most people.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2022, 5:01 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
The fact that the conservative commentator doesn't agree that Christians are persecuted, and doesn't defend Christianity, really does prove the point that Christianity is an underdog in the United Kingdom. Even the people you would expect to defend it, do not.
Christians are persecuted more than any of those groups, because they don't have any voice in the United Kingdom, whereas all of those other groups do have a significant voice, apart from disabled people and homeless people, within UK, mainstream media.
Refugees have been blithered on about since I have been a child, on the BBC. Muslims too.
It's all the more insulting considering that the entire history of the United Kingdom is based on Christianity and as such, Christianity should be the number one priority with a greater weighting than any of those character groups. :idea:

Good points; I mostly agree.

Really, I would argue the whole ‘oppression’ narrative that permeates our society is a scam and a moral fraud. It should be obvious that the more the media, universities and politicians lecture us that we need to do more for certain ‘oppressed’ groups, and the more advocacy groups those groups have, then the less oppressed they actually are, and the less incentive those groups have to stop complaining about their ‘oppression’.

Or, if some of those groups really are marginalized, then the main reason they get a mention at all is so other so-called (but not really) ‘oppressed’ groups can maintain the appearance of consistency.

I don’t know if the majority of people on this sub-forum really can’t understand this, or if they just pretend not to understand it. If the former, then I suppose it shouldn’t be surprising that so many people on an aspie forum seem to automatically sympathize with whatever oppression narratives they see and hear in the media, but I still find it tiring to witness.

Regarding Christianity, I cannot say I have much sympathy with the belief system, but I have sympathy with many Christians. In my opinion, if there is some mockery of Christians that permeates the media, it just flows from the media’s anti-majoritarian stance in general. However, in this sub-forum, one probably can’t say too much about this (or much else of any interest to be honest) without getting a thread shut down.

Last edited by slam_thunderhide on 03 Jan 2022, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 5:02 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
Fnord wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Perhaps an only difference being that Christians thinking that they are persecuted if they are not given all the special treatment.
This generally seems to be the case. They've been treated special for so long, that being treated like everyone else feels like "persecution".
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression." -- Clay Shirky, July 2016

Christians in the US have existed in a bubble of "privilege", falsely believing that the USA was founded on Christianity.  Thus they also believed that they were the only "real" American citizens.

Christian Americans are discovering that more and more of them have have neighbors who are Atheist, Buddhist, Jew, Islam, Sikh, et cetera; that many of those "blasphemous" people are healthier, wealthier, and better-educated; and that American Christians are no longer G^Ds "chosen people" (as if they ever were).

Nothing screams "Christians under attack" more than seeing a Methodist church's run-down property getting sold to a wealthy Buddhist sect.

“Equality feels like persecution when you’re used to privilege” is pretty much number one in the list of virtue-signalling internet liberal clichés (see Bradleigh, uncommondenominator and Fnord above for variations on this smug, gaslighting theme). . .
Dismiss it as a mere cliché all you want; that will not make it any less true.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 5:05 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
. . . if there is some mockery of Christians that permeates the media, it just flows from the media’s anti-majoritarian stance in general. . .
No, it flows primarily from inter-denominational competition for political power, members, and the members' money.

Christians are their own worst enemies.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 5:09 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
“Equality feels like persecution when you’re used to privilege” is pretty much number one in the list of virtue-signalling internet liberal clichés (see Bradleigh, uncommondenominator and Fnord above for variations on this smug, gaslighting theme).

Well, I am not a liberal. But how is that virtue signalling, while saying that Christians are being persecuted because Muslims get accommodated for their daily prayers as an important part of their religion, isn't virtue signalling? As far as I am aware, Christmas is still treated as the norm in the UK, as one of the most important holidays, and much of its attached religious significance.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 5:42 pm

According to the Cambridge English Dictionary, virtue signalling is the popular modern habit of indicating that one has virtue merely by expressing disgust or favour for certain political ideas or cultural happenings.

Thus, saying that Christians are being persecuted because Muslims get accommodated for their daily prayers as an important part of their religion is NOT virtue signalling.

Christians may believe they are being persecuted whenever Muslims get accommodated for their daily prayers as an important part of their religion; but no one should feel persecuted or threatened just because another person is being accommodated in this way.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2022, 6:00 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
slam_thunderhide wrote:

Well, I am not a liberal. But how is that virtue signalling, while saying that Christians are being persecuted because Muslims get accommodated for their daily prayers as an important part of their religion, isn't virtue signalling? As far as I am aware, Christmas is still treated as the norm in the UK, as one of the most important holidays, and much of its attached religious significance.

Fnord wrote:
According to the Cambridge English Dictionary, virtue signalling is the popular modern habit of indicating that one has virtue merely by expressing disgust or favour for certain political ideas or cultural happenings.

Thus, saying that Christians are being persecuted because Muslims get accommodated for their daily prayers as an important part of their religion is NOT virtue signalling.

Christians may believe they are being persecuted whenever Muslims get accommodated for their daily prayers as an important part of their religion; but no one should feel persecuted or threatened just because another person is being accommodated in this way.

Bradleigh, I don't think you quite understand what is generally meant by the term virtue signalling, but I don't think Fnord's post really clarifies things either.

Complaining about how others are being treated (especially other groups to whom one does not belong), when one is not really interested in them, and is really just interested in boosting one's own status via holding the 'correct opinions' - that is a form of virtue signalling.

Complaining about how oneself (or the group one belongs to) is being treated is not virtue signalling.

Last edited by slam_thunderhide on 03 Jan 2022, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2022, 6:00 pm

<duplicate post>

Last edited by slam_thunderhide on 03 Jan 2022, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.