Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2007, 3:46 pm

When originally interviewing at the college I eventually attended, I was asked many questions that I thought I needed to answer as factually accurately as possible. When asked, "How would your friends describe you?" I answered, "I don't know, You have to ask them." My entire interview consisted of these short one line honest, accurate answers. I thought I had done pretty well. A few months later, I got a call from the college. They said my application and my interview seem too different to be the same person. They wanted to know which one was the real me and asked if they could interview me again over the phone. I put on a false persona, a character for this second interview and was accepted.

This phenomenon also occurred in high school when I was applying for a place in the Honors Society. My first interview was the real one. I answered all the questions accurately and honestly, and I was rejected. I was given a second interview in which I acted a part that was not me and was accepted.

I was wondering if anyone else has a story like these.

Last edited by spdjeanne on 30 Jul 2007, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Jul 2007, 3:49 pm

boy grows up in mexico gets bullyed has a few bad times lives on the streets comes back goes through a little bit of councelling applies for disability gets accepted and wahlah here i am :D

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 3:52 pm

Absolutely. When I'm honest, they reject me. When I play a part and answer what they want to hear and lie, lie, lie...they adore me.

Woman
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2007, 4:09 pm

Greentea wrote:
Absolutely. When I'm honest, they reject me. When I play a part and answer what they want to hear and lie, lie, lie...they adore me.

it's messed up, but true. Its happened to me on jobs where I will act the part, get some laughs, score the job, but once the job, no one particularly likes me.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2007, 4:31 pm

I was being interviewed for a job at a phone company as a delivery driver delivering phones and equipment.

I flat out told them - when they asked for my weakness - that I am not very good at communicating with people and that my strength is my immense creativity and ability to figure out multiple ways to do things (rule breaker).

It was funny because I had the same interview with the same person a year earlier and responded the exact same way (summer student job). Needless to say I was rejected both years.

Then I realized that people aren't very good at communicating in general. If you listen to the words people use, they aren't very good with the english language. I think what makes it hard for people to communicate with me is that I tend to enjoy speaking in abstract and I find everyday speaking to be utterly boring.

I also realized that 95% of social chit-chat is ineffective and the world would probably run a lot smoother if we just cut that chit-chat out of our routine and stuck with our purpose. Well, people like me have realized that and are actuating that belief.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2007, 5:19 pm

Woman wrote:
Greentea wrote:

it's messed up, but true. Its happened to me on jobs where I will act the part, get some laughs, score the job, but once the job, no one particularly likes me.

I have found this to be the main problem with "faking it" (which is how I think of what you described). I can not fake it forever. Is it even worth it?

“There are moments when one has to choose between living one's own life, fully, entirely, completely --or dragging out some false, shallow, degrading existence that the world in its hypocrisy demands.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Logan5 on 30 Jul 2007, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jul 2007, 5:26 pm

yes, i also agree, i wish chit chat can be eliminated, things, for us anyways would be better, we would fit in more.

Every job I had I put on a mask and did the job for a while, then when i got good at what i did and did not feel like i had to impress anybody i just be myself, suddenly everyone was confused, did not like it, kept asking me what was wrong, conclusion: be yourself right from the beginning, i mean, u can kinda fake a little to get that job, but once u have it, just be yourself, its easier in the long run...

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2007, 6:04 pm

I nearly killed myself at that college because I couldn't get away from people and was on overload all the time both socially and academically. Actually, I'm not sure how much I learned in either category, but I did just barely graduate. If I could do it again, and I am thinking about going back to school someday, I might have requested that I not have roommates.

I'm not sure how much this has to do with my original interview, but maybe if I had not been accepted I could have gone to college when I was good and ready. Knowing me, that would be never, so I guess I'm glad I went when I did and got that whole thing over with... not that it did me any good since I can't get a job even as a fry cook.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jul 2007, 6:28 pm

roomates screwed my life over in collage too, u need privacy, we all do on here, i was lucky to go to school in the adirondacks, i had plenty of space to run away and hide for hours, up mountains, trails, lakes, but in the end, when the day was done, i had a horrible roomate to go home to, heh, could not even stim, i had to leave that place eventually, but still managed an associates degree.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2007, 9:30 pm

To get away from people I used to go on long walks around campus at night and throw rocks at things. Probably wasn't the safest thing to do in retrospect, but I rarely have any instinct for what is safe and what isn't. I completely lack that gut feeling people are always telling women to listen to.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 10:45 pm

yeah you make up a personality. i do that.
people who know me very well say i do have my own personality but its so 'radically difference' it seems like no personality at first.
people who know me a little just see my fake personality, or no personality.
my fake personality, i do things like smile but i almost make an effort to make it look fake to show 'i know im not trying hard, i couldnt do it anyways'. fake 'thank you's and stuff like that. its because of the way my mum acts being all fake all the time. my brothers gf told me i act just like my mum sometimes.