Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

TheEmptyShell
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2022, 8:21 am

Hi. I have Asperger's and made a post some time ago about a horrible job interview experience. Now it's the new year, I find myself considering whether or not I should even bother getting back to the job/work experience hunt. There are about 20-30 places within 15 miles of where I live that are relevant to the industry I am "interested" in (I will explain the quotation marks later). I've sent letters/emails to all of these asking for work experience, most don't reply and the few that do reply aren't able to offer me anything. I send reminders after two or so weeks to those who don't reply first time and usually I still don't get a response. I tried asking a recruiter for advice who couldn't help me because their clients are only interested in those who have work experience already. It seems like I am always hitting a dead end with no way out of this job maze.

I've found that the job advice online to be ineffective. Tailoring my cover letter/email to the specific company I'm applying for makes sense, but it seems like most places don't even read it. "Be enthusiastic" they say, but this is so difficult when the companies themselves aren't enthusiastic about taking on new people. There is this underlying assumption behind these job articles online that it's me who needs to change to get a job, well what do you do if you've tried to change and yet don't see a change in results?

The whole thing drains the life out of me. I have the required qualifications and I can get along and cooperate with other people, shouldn't that be enough? I said earlier that I was "interested" in a particular industry. I use quotation marks around that word because I doubt that I really have any interest in this profession. I embarked on doing the qualifications because at the time I didn't know what I wanted to do for a career and I needed to try something. I performed very well in the exams and thought this was something worth pursuing. To give up this path would be too much wasted time, yet I dread sitting at my computer with the intention of sending out more letters.

I honestly don't know what to do to how to proceed. I just want to be in a job that's going to bring me happiness and meet new people instead of being stuck at home. Thanks for reading this far if you have and if you have any insights I'd love to hear them.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 8:27 am

You could be packing shelves in a warehouse--oh excuse me,a fulfillment center, and still be feeling low.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

TheEmptyShell
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2022, 8:48 am

theprisoner wrote:
You could be packing shelves in a warehouse--oh excuse me,a fulfillment center, and still be feeling low.

I'm not sure exactly of your point. Are you saying I may not find happiness even if I were to find a job? Or I should be happier being in a situation where I am unemployed while there are loads of people in employment who aren't happy? Neither/both of the above/something else?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 8:53 am

My point is, Amazon sucks. And Jeff Bezos , laughs at your feeling low.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

TheEmptyShell
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2022, 9:02 am

theprisoner wrote:

Yes I can imagine Amazon being an awful place to work for, definitely at the bottom of the ladder where you can easily be replaced.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 6:13 am

We call them warehouses here in the United Kingdom & I don't see a problem with that, personally.

I find it annoying when businesses rename every job to try to give people more self esteem or the currency to put something better sounding on social media. Its patronising.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 10:49 am

TheEmptyShell wrote:
theprisoner wrote:

Yes I can imagine Amazon being an awful place to work for, definitely at the bottom of the ladder where you can easily be replaced.

Don't listen to him. He's being a d-ck.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 10:51 am

Yes, I agree. Jeff Bezos is a d--ck.

TheEmptyShell
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2022, 6:53 am

rse92 wrote:
TheEmptyShell wrote:
theprisoner wrote:

Don't listen to him. He's being a d-ck.

He may have a genuine grievance towards amazon so I don't mind too much, although I would have hoped someone would have been able to provide some sort of response relevant to my situation. Maybe it sounds like I am venting, which I am but that doesn't mean I'm not open to trying something that I haven't already seen elsewhere on the internet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 7:20 am

I would seek out civil service jobs. Go to their website. Take the tests. Many require college degrees.

I’ve been working at my civil service clerical job for 41 years.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2022, 4:33 pm

It sounds like it's not really the industry that you're interested in. So I wouldn't stress too much about trying to get into it. It's great that you've worked out the fact that it's not really right for you. Can't get a job in that industry? Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

So use your unemployed time and energy to work out what WOULD be a good fit for you. Do the online quizzes, find out similar resources from your job agency, whatever.

Treat the industry that you've been trying to get into the same as any other survival job. The thing you do to earn money while you try to establish a career in something else that you'd rather spend the rest of your life doing.

It doesn't matter that you did a course in that other industry. That's the past. It taught you something about what you're not interested in. We have a saying, 'Don't throw good money after bad'. Basically means, how long will you keep doing the wrong thing once you realise it, just because of what you already invested in it?

Let it go. The rest of your life starts now. “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”― John Milton, Paradise Lost. That's the potential of the rest of your life. Choose.

TheEmptyShell
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2022, 4:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would seek out civil service jobs. Go to their website. Take the tests. Many require college degrees.

I’ve been working at my civil service clerical job for 41 years.

Thanks for the advice.

TheEmptyShell
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2022, 4:51 pm

DoniiMann wrote:
It sounds like it's not really the industry that you're interested in. So I wouldn't stress too much about trying to get into it. It's great that you've worked out the fact that it's not really right for you. Can't get a job in that industry? Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

So use your unemployed time and energy to work out what WOULD be a good fit for you. Do the online quizzes, find out similar resources from your job agency, whatever.

Treat the industry that you've been trying to get into the same as any other survival job. The thing you do to earn money while you try to establish a career in something else that you'd rather spend the rest of your life doing.

It doesn't matter that you did a course in that other industry. That's the past. It taught you something about what you're not interested in. We have a saying, 'Don't throw good money after bad'. Basically means, how long will you keep doing the wrong thing once you realise it, just because of what you already invested in it?

Let it go. The rest of your life starts now. “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”― John Milton, Paradise Lost. That's the potential of the rest of your life. Choose.

Thanks for the insights. It feels like I don’t want to join this industry, the idea of performing the relevant tasks on repeat for the rest of my working life doesn’t appeal to me. What you say about treating it like a survival job makes sense though. I could keep job searching for this industry at the same time as looking for another that I’m more passionate about. Something to think about, thanks again.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 5:06 pm

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 10:22 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
I find it annoying when businesses rename every job to try to give people more self esteem or the currency to put something better sounding on social media. Its patronising.

Sandwich Artist is my current favourite. :lmao:

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 3:41 pm

Job hunting is super depressing.
It's even more depressing now that my Long Covid eliminates most of my possibilities.

It would be much easier if my GF could get a job, and I stayed home and took care of the kid (she gets too stressed out watching him), but she's having some kind of health issues (thyroid maybe?) and she keeps complaining that she's in too much pain from working and has to find a different job. I think she's gone through like almost ten jobs now, and my bank account is in the negative =/

Not sure what we're going to do from here.