Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2022, 3:20 pm

The following scientists believe that there might be multiple universes or a multiverse.

Don Page
Brian Greene
Max Tegmark
Alan Guth
Andrei Linde
Michio Kaku
David Deutsch
Leonard Susskind
Alexander Vilenkin
Yasunori Nomura
Raj Pathria
Laura Mersini-Houghton
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sean Carroll

Stephen Hawking and Hugh Everette also believed that might be multiple universes.

Last edited by Sonic200 on 03 Jan 2022, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 3:32 pm

Mere belief proves nothing.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 3:32 pm

Mark Everette, lead singer of 'Eels' father Hugh Everette was one of the first to propose a parallel universes theory back in the 50's. The youtube video in the link below that documents him finding out more about his fathers work is a good introduction to the concept I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LroZS97VjA

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 3:36 pm

Most of the scientists listed base their belief on related quantum mechanics based hypotheses and there is a growing body of scientific and theoretical mathematical evidence to support this.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2022, 3:41 pm

Fnord wrote:

Of course. It's just like there are astronomers that believe that Planet Nine might exist, but it hasn't been proven to exist.

Last edited by Sonic200 on 03 Jan 2022, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 3:41 pm

I understand the concept; but I would like to pop over to a universe wherein Frank Sinatra was never born, and therefore, he was unable to use his influence to get Kennedy elected.  So Nixon won the 1960 election and totally botched the Cuban Missile Crisis causing World War III.

Then I would round up as many 1950s artifacts as I could find (the ones that weren't radioactive), bring them back here, and make a fortune selling them on eBay.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 4:43 pm

Many people believe many things on many subjects.

That does not make those beliefs true or false. It's a fallacy, an Argumentum ad Populum - appeal to popularity (or appeal to popularity amongst authorities or respectable people, known as Argumentum ad Verecundiam).

https://www.britannica.com/topic/argume ... erecundiam

This set aside, the multiverse might be true, but not in the popular meaning.
What happens is that the universe does not acutally "split" into multiple universes and exists far beyond our observable universe. It exists right here amongst us (if true). It just happens that it has branched and those branches are out of phase with our observable part of the universe, and thus we cannot perceive them.

It is - essentially - part of the same universe/universal wave function, which obeys the Schrödinger Equation.

I recommend you watch this PBS Space Time video, explaining what goes on:

Also take a look at this Decoherence explanation video:

In other words, the multiverse might be true, but for the reasons of the logical implications/predictions made by Quantum Mechanics.

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 03 Jan 2022, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2022, 5:20 pm

Sonic200 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Of course. It's just like there are astronomers that believe that Planet Nine might exist, but it hasn't been proven to exist.
Exactly.

I would be absolutely thrilled to travel crosstime into a divergent or parallel universe, or to meet an extra-terrestrial alien, or to shake hands with Sasquatch, or to acquire telekinesis and telepathy, or to simply attend Hogwarts and learn magic; but merely believing in the possibility of each of these things does not make them real, and that makes me sad.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 5:54 am

If there are not multiple worlds, how else are we supposed to make sense of the randomness in quantum physics?

How are you then able to describe and work out the origins of randomness?

In Quantum Mechanics, there's a cloud of probability as to where a particle might be found (location).
When you measure it, you find it at a specific location, because of the decoherence.

Decoherence is when you/the measuring apparatus gets entangled with the particle, and if the spin is up, the apparatus will measure it spin up.

The probability for measuring spin up/down is given by the amplitude squared.
It's basically Pythagoras Theorem applied to Quantum Physics (probability of the location squared + probability of the momentum (velocity times mass) squared = amplitude squared).

Now, where does this probability come from?
What determines whether I'll end up seeing spin up/down, specific location or momentum by any given measurement?

There's only one solution, and that is to look at the wave function evolving according to the Schrödinger Equation, tellings us that the world will branch upon decoherence - which occurs all the time. When an atom decays, the world branches.

You can't talk to these other worlds. They are forever seperated.
It's like a waves out of phase with each other, there's no intereference pattern.

The Copenhagen Interpretation says we should treat the quantum physics seperately from the classical realm.
But that's a big mistake, because the classical realm is derived from the quantum realm.

Even though the Copenhagen Interpretation predicts accurately what the world would look like if it was true, the Everettian multiverse would look exactly the same.