Disproportionate Number of Black People in Prison

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 2:20 am

Black people are frozen out of white society. White authority tells black people that they are savage, that they don't follow the prevailing social etiquette. That they are dangerous - even when they have done nothing wrong.

White policemen & policewomen shake down black people simply for walking down the street.

This is 21st century America & it stinks.

You are a thief if you are a black man, even when you haven't stolen anything from anybody. You are a drug dealer as a black person, even if you have never dealt drugs to anyone. You are every white persons nightmare, in every respect.

The ultimate scapegoat.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 4:44 am

But there is unfortunately cultural problems with many younger black people, specifically young black men that often brings them into contact with the police and authorities more often.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 5:26 am

Blitzgrieg, for once I agree with you. The reasons behind it get complicated, but there is definitely an element of rules that only seem to exist for people of color, practically guaranteeing they will get forced to break them. Most of American racism is subtle like that, a whole difference experience forced onto most of the black population pretty much from birth, that keeps the odds stacked against them. A lot of people don’t want to believe that is true, but studies of our education and criminal justice systems confirm it’s true. It’s something we periodically say we want to fix, and a few tweaks get made here and there each time, but never enough to fix the inequity. I’m at a loss to see how I could play a constructive part in changing it, I don’t want to virtue signal while not actually doing anything, so I only hope to increase awareness, but perhaps I fail at that, too.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 6:51 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Blitzgrieg, for once I agree with you. The reasons behind it get complicated, but there is definitely an element of rules that only seem to exist for people of color, practically guaranteeing they will get forced to break them. Most of American racism is subtle like that, a whole difference experience forced onto most of the black population pretty much from birth, that keeps the odds stacked against them. A lot of people don’t want to believe that is true, but studies of our education and criminal justice systems confirm it’s true. It’s something we periodically say we want to fix, and a few tweaks get made here and there each time, but never enough to fix the inequity. I’m at a loss to see how I could play a constructive part in changing it, I don’t want to virtue signal while not actually doing anything, so I only hope to increase awareness, but perhaps I fail at that, too.

I think if you cannot change anything yourself, it is perfectly reasonable to simply refrain from virtue signalling and to do nothing else.

Yes, there are endless rules that black people have to follow that are completely alien to black people and which black people are expected to know & are punished for not knowing.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 8:09 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

I think if you cannot change anything yourself, it is perfectly reasonable to simply refrain from virtue signalling and to do nothing else.

Yes, there are endless rules that black people have to follow that are completely alien to black people and which black people are expected to know & are punished for not knowing.

I think it would be more accurate to say "alien to MOST people," period. It isn't the fault of the black population that they end up subject to more rules including ones that don't seem to serve any useful purpose outside of creating more ways someone can fail.

Rules can be a negatively self-perpetuating cycle: create invasive rules that people are likely to fail. Crime statistics, as a result, go up. Use the increasing crime statistics to make more rules and restrict life further. Repeat.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 8:18 pm

Yes, this is a serious problem for the BIPOC community.

I don't want to virtue signal either, so I don't know what else to add.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 8:28 pm

This can't be true. In the late 50's, the black demographic was that fastest growing in the US. The Great Society was gonna fix everything and it was signed by LBJ, a democrat potus. There was some democrats upset about it in Alabama, but let's not talk about that one, okay. So crime went out of bounds and the democrats led by the current potus, good ole' boy with the grand wizard poohah of the KKK, wrote a crime bill in the 90s. Crime did drop, gotta give 'em that one.

I was told the gop were the racist bunch. Now the democrats want to decriminalize the justice system, yeah, that gonna work out great dividing the nation even more than it is now.

or sumthang

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 12:47 am

A great many of those incarcerated black men have been convicted of drug related crimes. Blacks and whites use illegal drugs in about equal numbers, but it's black neighborhoods that the police occupy like an invading army, and it's black individuals who are more often stopped by police for being "suspiciously" black. If there was true equality, then black and white drug offenders would be punished in equal number.