Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Age: 86
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,315
Location: Italy

30 Jul 2007, 4:25 pm

Now the preliminary problem: is this AS connected or not? I don't know. Is it just my solitary madness?
Anyhow I don't see anything on TV except the initials of the BBC and the first 30 seconds of titles. Same with CNN (but initials are here not so good as on BBC). No other channel, but: on CNN I am totally fascinated by Becky Anderson. I don't follow what she says but I find her deportment absolutely arresting. What a star she wood have been in films! Perhaps she prefers giving economic news and interviewing prime ministers. Who knows? She is brobably right.
No one here likes so much Becky Anderson?



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,262
Location: London

30 Jul 2007, 5:25 pm

I'm not fascinated by a particular correspondent or reporter, but I do think the deportment and presenting style is interesting and funny. I often say out loud "Hello, I'm Huw Edwards/Fiona Bruce/George Alagiah/Faisal Islam/Andrew Marr/Krishnan Guru-Murthy/Samira Ahmed". I also like to bang out the beeps on the BBC news.

When I see them do charity shows, I realise actually they wouldn’t be that good at acting. The ones I’ve seen anyway.



sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,283
Location: Bandon-by-the-Sea, Oregon

30 Jul 2007, 9:00 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
I also like to bang out the beeps on the BBC news.


you mean the intro song on the radio World News Service newscast? it has 8 intervals all rising? I am addicted to it, I count out the musical phrases mentally and it is like a security plushie for me.

Merle



Stellian
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 207

30 Jul 2007, 9:39 pm

I don't get CNN here, so I've only seen Becky Anderson through photos. What's so fascinating about her?

She could have been a movie star, yes, she looks good for the camera (I know that because she also looks easy to draw).

I like Monserrat Álvarez from TVN (Chile):
ImageImage



imipak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2007
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 236
Location: Oregon, USA

30 Jul 2007, 9:51 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
I also like to bang out the beeps on the BBC news.


you mean the intro song on the radio World News Service newscast? it has 8 intervals all rising? I am addicted to it, I count out the musical phrases mentally and it is like a security plushie for me.

Merle


I always liked the BBC News intro on the regular radio in England - three short pips, one long beeep, followed by "And here is the news from the BBC." Doubly so because the BBC are so prim and proper, but managed to slip in a split infinitive anyway, just to show the purists. :P



sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,283
Location: Bandon-by-the-Sea, Oregon

30 Jul 2007, 10:54 pm

imipak wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
I also like to bang out the beeps on the BBC news.


you mean the intro song on the radio World News Service newscast? it has 8 intervals all rising? I am addicted to it, I count out the musical phrases mentally and it is like a security plushie for me.

Merle


I always liked the BBC News intro on the regular radio in England - three short pips, one long beeep, followed by "And here is the news from the BBC." Doubly so because the BBC are so prim and proper, but managed to slip in a split infinitive anyway, just to show the purists. :P


I listen to the over night news service, when I wake up in the night, it is a comfort, listening deep in the midnight to the morning news in London. . .thinking about English people eating muffins. . having their morning cuppa. . .



paolo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Age: 86
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,315
Location: Italy

31 Jul 2007, 2:38 am

Stellian wrote:
I've only seen Becky Anderson through photos. What's so fascinating about her?
[/img]

If you haven't seen here in action you have lost the whole thing.

"Yes she is the best.Ready to talk on any topic from Borat to IT,wars to fun. Very confident,cute,pretty and intelligent. No over-acting is there.All is natural and lovely. She is the best"

here she is Image
But the photo doesn' say much. It's all how she moves, speaks, smiles and frowns (often).

Look her in action digiting Becky Anderson Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSf0dawVZ4



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,262
Location: London

31 Jul 2007, 3:37 am

sinsboldly wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
I also like to bang out the beeps on the BBC news.


you mean the intro song on the radio World News Service newscast? it has 8 intervals all rising? I am addicted to it, I count out the musical phrases mentally and it is like a security plushie for me.

Merle

Well origonally it was a straight count down using 'pips' it is to cue the presenters on time. But now on many of the bbc channels, and new programs they have turned it into a bit of a coposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Time_Signal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdGsfHWU6Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFhZ-x-mdTU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR438vV6YoY

remix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhVdLVB5o4



UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 901
Location: temporarily trapped in Holland

31 Jul 2007, 3:53 am

(sorta off on a tangent; please forgive me...)

The first time I saw Richard Quest on CNN International, I thought it was some sort of practical joke. He's the UK's answer to Jerry Lewis. :lol:

Image



Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2005
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,684
Location: Townsville

31 Jul 2007, 3:58 am

UncleBeer wrote:
(sorta off on a tangent; please forgive me...)

The first time I saw Richard Quest on CNN International, I thought it was some sort of practical joke. He's the UK's answer to Jerry Lewis. :lol:

Image
My goodness! How did his teeth get so white? That can't be natural.


_________________
Break out you Western girls,
Someday soon you're gonna rule the world.
Break out you Western girls,
Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon


0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,262
Location: London

31 Jul 2007, 4:11 am

When our family african grey parrot was still living with us she used to do the bbc pips perfectly and in key.



UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 901
Location: temporarily trapped in Holland

31 Jul 2007, 4:15 am

Pandora wrote:
My goodness! How did his teeth get so white? That can't be natural.

I figured they were some comedic dental appliance, like Jerry Lewis used when he was the "Nutty Professor". Nope; Quest is one of CNNi's featured journalists. 8O

If you've never heard his voice, it also falls right into that ultra-absurd Jerry Lewis slot, too.

(sorry-- didn't mean to hijack the thread!)