Anyone ever deal with false promises?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 2:47 pm

Hi:

I was wondering if any of you have ever held onto a job where your employers made false promises to you? If so, what were your experiences

Here are some of mine

-Nearly 20 years ago, I worked for a food company at an airport which was a very toxic work environment. Though they decided to stick me on cleaning duties and didn't want me doing anything else, two of the managers told me
1. They were going to give me a raise, which never happened
2 They were going to promote me to manager, which I took seriously. Meanwhile, when I told other co-workers, they confirmed that they were just teasing me

-Nearly 10 years ago, I worked on commission at a commercial real estate firm which both brokers:
1. Jerked me around about paying for real estate school which they made me pay for. Rather, they were going to reimburse me once I got licensed. They also let me go claiming I could not make cold calls without a license due to the supposed by-laws changing
2. They said they were going to pay me and never did
3. In 2018, they called me out of the blue looking for an assistant offering a part time wage. However, they kept pushing back the start date with excuses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 3:09 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
. . . I was wondering if any of you have ever held onto a job where your employers made false promises to you? . . .
A manager at a DOD facility strung me along for nearly two years with promises of being installed as a permanent employee (I was a term-contract employee).  I was patient only because the pay and benefits were good.

arianekh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jan 2022, 8:33 am

For decades. In fact I don't remember a time when a corporate promise has come to fruition. I assumed that's how it works and that's just normal. I get it all the time "you'll get promoted if you work harder" or "you'll get a pay rise if you meet some goals that aren't recorded anywhere and don't actually exist".

The trick is to assume this is just how jobs work and if you really want something, get it in writing where possible and figure out a way to legally enforce it, or else assume it is empty and won't happen.

https://psychology-tools.com/

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:14 pm

I have seen situations where people "Hire" some new recruits so they can "Train" them before relocating them to a new store of some sort. However, what they are really doing is seeing if they will be a good fit for the job to come.

I have also seen grocery stores who often hire new personnel and make it sound like they have a great job opportunity with benefits after the 90-day probationary period. That said, only hire that help on a temporary basis and then find a way to set them up for failure and then fire them because they don't want to pay for the benefits. Yet, they also hire their family member and friends who seem to "Keep" their jobs and all the perks.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2022, 10:04 am

I find it's just easier to assume absolutely everything I'm told by an employer or manager is a lie, and to never, ever do additional work until after I start getting paid for it. It covers most bases and it also serves to discover which managers are most likely to lie and screw you over, because they're the ones who will get angry that you actually want to be paid for your labor and aren't letting them have it for free just because they did a little bullshitting.

The ones that get the most personally offended are the ones who have had everything given to them when they've bullshitted, and they can't understand why their standard method of getting free stuff out of people isn't working.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 7:40 pm

When I accepted an internal "promotion" to a job that tripled my existing workload, it was after I got my boss to make a verbal agreement they would at least backfill a position I was covering for someone who was laid off. I felt pressured into accepting it at the time because I wasn't given an alternative option, but I really regret not getting this agreement in writing. Four months later and they haven't lived up to the promise.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:56 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Anyone ever deal with false promises?
Yes, especially after my first wife recited her wedding vows to me in front of God and all those witnesses.