The Slippery Slope Argument is NOT a fallacy

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 9:56 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:
It's not a fallacy so much as people overuse it and blow minor things out of proportion by treating them as opening the door for The Destruction Of Society.

The slope is rarely as slippery as people treat it.
Look at the past and you will see endless examples of people treating something as a precursor to disaster only for nothing of the kind to happen.

Well, in Kasakhstan high fuel prices lead to snipers in the streets...
This is NOT a fallacy. It really happens. You just have to open your eyes and read the news.

Or a virus was found in China, and all of a sudden the entire world was in chaos.

I could go on and on.

It has been explained perfectly well before, but this is still bugging me: escalating events are not what is referred to as "slippery slope fallacy" - the slippery slope fallacy is a style of argumentation, like an ad hominem attack.

Using it to describe just any chain of events, domino effect, or escalation is just not how the phrase is used.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 12:47 am

Sometimes it's a fallacy, but honestly, I usually see efforts to label it a fallacy as bad faith attempts at intellectual base stealing, trying to win arguments by disqualifying the other guy rather than actually debating their points.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 8:35 am

delete

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 12 Jan 2022, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 8:52 am

Dox47 wrote:
Sometimes it's a fallacy, but honestly, I usually see efforts to label it a fallacy as bad faith attempts at intellectual base stealing, trying to win arguments by disqualifying the other guy rather than actually debating their points.

True.

But in order to claim the argument itself as a fallacy, it must be logically invalid.
To make slippery-slope argumentation logically invalid would be the same as saying there's no causality.

If you accept causality as reality, the slippery slope argument will nevere be a fallacy. However, it depends on the logic driving the slippery slope and the likelyhood/probability of any of the resulting scenarios.

The axioms must be true nonetheless, but that's the same for ANY argument.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 8:58 am

Negative actions often lead to negative consequences.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 2:39 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Yes I think that can happen, rather like the "ad hominem" thing - somebody says those magic words and it shuts down the other person, though it reality ad-hominem arguments aren't always complete rubbish. As you say, it's better to debate the actual point they're making than just to throw a pejorative label at it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

True.

But in order to claim the argument itself as a fallacy, it must be logically invalid.
To make slippery-slope argumentation logically invalid would be the same as saying there's no causality.

If you accept causality as reality, the slippery slope argument will nevere be a fallacy. However, it depends on the logic driving the slippery slope and the likelyhood/probability of any of the resulting scenarios.

The axioms must be true nonetheless, but that's the same for ANY argument.

Nothing to do with the Slippery Slop argument.

Simple cause and effect does not make an argument a slippery slope argument.

Its not enough to say A will cause B.

It has to be a slope that we slide down into, sliding past increasingly bad points, until we arrive a rock bottom hell, like a bug falling into carnivorous pitcher plant.

So a slippery slope argument would be "If we allow A, it may seem okay, but then it will set a precedent to allow B (slightly worse), which will set a precedent for later allowing C, which allow a precedent for allowing D, and someday we will be in the living hell of E! "

The year is 1921, and the nation is considering allowing women to vote. you're a right thinking gentleman of that era who is against that nonsense. So you argue that "if we let women have the vote now, then later that will lead to women wanting better jobs, women holding office, and hundred years from now even running for POTUS, and in a 100 years women will be getting tattoos! Cant have THAT." That would be a "slippery slope" argument. And in that case you would have been right! :lol: But thats because each descent down the slope was likely to occur.

On the other hand THE main argument used during the Sixties and Seventies to keep the US in Vietnam was the "Domino Effect" argument. Which was similar to "the slippery slope" argument. The Domino theory went "if we pull out and allow the communist to have South Vietnam then other countries in the region will fall like dominoes, and the Communist will later take over Thailand, India...Indonesia, and in a few years the Communist will have taken over the whole Pacific, and will be knocking at our door in California, and we will need to fight an even bloodier war to drive them from our shores. We did loose South Vietnam. But it did not result in other nations in the region "falling like dominoes" as predicted in the argument. And in fact it was the communist world that ended up collapsing.

So the lesson is that the "slippery slope" argument is not intrinsically a fallacy. The key is to examine 'the slope' in question to see how "slippery" it really is. That is to examine how likely each step in the descent into the supposed hell that the person is fearmongering you about is likely to result from the previous step. It might be a fallacy in some cases, but not in others.