Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 8:34 pm

I figured I could find something and I did, and it's even in a field I am interested in. It is a job where I have to help take care of animals which I mean that has kind of been what I always wanted to do, but seemed most paid positions for that require college education. So I was excited to see they wanted someone to work with animals and they only required having graduated High School.

I am a bit nervous about starting, but I go in on Monday for training and stuff to learn the job....so just trying to keep a positive attitude and be ready to learn.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 6:17 am

Good for you! That sounds like a really nice job. I would love to work with animals. I hope it works out for you.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 7:15 am

That sounds awesome.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 9:46 am

Congrats! Best of luck to you!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 9:57 am

For what ever reason it seems employers in the US have had trouble filling jobs. I can't see why they'd require a college degree for this position but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that had once been a requirement. If so, it's good they've decided to wake up and admit that a college degree is no proof of a person's worth.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2022, 7:43 pm

Congrats!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 7:29 am

go you! congratulations! there are lots of animal related jobs that don't require a degree. I made a living from caretaking animals in all sorts of ways. ( and people and their places too) People do things like grooming and bathing or exercising, cleanup, feeding and other care for $$. Hope you enjoy your new job, keep us posted!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 8:56 am

Congrats! My son is looking for a job working with animals - it can be hard to find. What are your duties? Is it a zoo?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 11:42 pm

Fenn wrote:
Congrats! My son is looking for a job working with animals - it can be hard to find. What are your duties? Is it a zoo?

Nah, its more doing animal care at a veterinary research place. But could be good experience if I ever want to work at a zoo or anything like that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 12:08 am

MaxE wrote:
For what ever reason it seems employers in the US have had trouble filling jobs. I can't see why they'd require a college degree for this position but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that had once been a requirement. If so, it's good they've decided to wake up and admit that a college degree is no proof of a person's worth.

Well just seems a lot of positions i've seen for animal care seem to have a lot of pre-requites, its been something I've been interested in for a while but I could never find a job like that that didn't require pre-requites I didn't have. This is the first job ad I've seen for animal care work that didn't require more than a highschool diploma.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 2:36 am

Alright so anyways, I am starting to learn how to do things at my job. Lol I am a new person starting with animal care so seems the entry level involves a lotta cleaning up of poop specifically...but I always figured initially getting into animal work would involve some cleaning up of poop, but its not so bad. I mean honestly my favorite part of the cleaning is grabbing the scraper to scrape poop off the floor idk it's just pretty satisfying to get those poops scraped off the floor...sounds gross but if you want to work with animals part of it is cleaning up their poos.

I do hope to gain more experience and maybe do more than just the poopy work, but seems at my work place they are a little short staffed so I'd like to do whatever I can to help even though I can only do part time. If anything I am just kind of hoping with it being such physical work I might build a little muscle and the work won't seem quite as hard...cause yeah I am quite sore, but I've also no had any sort of job in a while and have been kind of lazy so I'm just all out of shape...but if anything this job may help with that without me having to consider trying to go to a gym which idk I worry that would be embarrassing(I'm not overweight or anything, just weak...lol).