Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 7:29 am

Aspie1 wrote:
There's a world of difference between "can't work" and "don't want to work". Most of the homeless and the criminals I see and hear about are perfectly healthy men, with strong muscles and a street-smart mind. There's absolutely no reason they can't get a job loading Amazon trucks, or stocking Walmart shelves, or mowing boulevard medians. But they know all too well they can make more money from panhandling, selling drugs, or robbing innocent people who feed their lazy, freeloading butts. So my sympathy for them is extremely limited.

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding then.

I agree with you that people who smash cars and sell drugs should get a job. In any case, it's a lot safer stocking Walmart shelves than selling drugs or going on a "gang mission" to torture some innocent people.

Though I must say that people who are financially secured, either by a huge inheritance or another huge sum of money making them independent, or people getting Disability Pension (in the few countries where this still exists) are more likely to work whatever they are capable of, even for small wages. What matters to them is to get out of the door and meet other people and make a contribution to society.

In Denmark there are very strict rules to get a Disability Pension, and some few of them have it secured, guaranteed like a kind of Unconditional Basic Income. People who get this type of pension are way more likely to work, even work for 20, sometimes 30 hours/week below the minimum wage. They don't get rich by working, yet they work anyway, even though they are not obliged to work at all.

What does this tell you? It certainly tells me that when you treat people nicely, they'll return the favor.
But if you push them beyond their physical or mental capabilities, they get more sick or disabled and cannot work.
It has to do with stress hormones, I think.

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 11 Jan 2022, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 7:51 am

People can’t make more than about $400 a month while on SSI in the US, without at least a reduction in benefits, while they can make a little more than that on SSD, though they certainly can’t work 30 hours a week and continue to receive benefits.

SSI is for people who have worked little or not at all. SSD is for people who have worked a few years.

Denmark might have a decent disability payment system, allowing part-time work.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 10:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
thinkinginpictures wrote:
This is the kind of attitude and wrongful accusations that cause me to hate conservatism.

People who don't work, don't work for a REASON! Such as poor health.
People who are homeless are homeless for a REASON! Such as having no job - because they have a poor health.
There's a world of difference between "can't work" and "don't want to work". Most of the homeless and the criminals I see and hear about are perfectly healthy men, with strong muscles and a street-smart mind. There's absolutely no reason they can't get a job loading Amazon trucks, or stocking Walmart shelves, or mowing boulevard medians. But they know all too well they can make more money from panhandling, selling drugs, or robbing innocent people who feed their lazy, freeloading butts. So my sympathy for them is extremely limited.

Now, homeless people in genuine need DO EXIST. In which case, the resources for them are aplenty and not hard to find. There are soup kitchens. There are SNAP, TANF, and Medicaid. There are bleeding-heart liberal churches that let them sleep in the pews at night. There are rescue missions. There are food banks. There are job placement programs. If a homeless person WANTS TO get better, the opportunities ARE THERE. But many choose not to take them. In which case, they and they alone are to blame!

In a nutshell, if you're healthy enough to smash storefronts, set cars on fire, and rob productive workers who pay for your food and housing---with Cacala Harris covering your bail and lawyer fees---then you're strong enough to work! :evil:

It's exactly that attitude, sir, that will hold the door open for a right wing dictatorship. It's the demonization of the have-nots, including blaming them for all your problems, that feeds the resentment the authoritarian right lives on and gathers members.

This stuff has gone on for a great deal of the history of this nation ........ am hoping our government with its own system of checks and balances would prevent that situation from happening .

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 10:58 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding then.

I agree with you that people who smash cars and sell drugs should get a job. In any case, it's a lot safer stocking Walmart shelves than selling drugs or going on a "gang mission" to torture some innocent people.

Though I must say that people who are financially secured, either by a huge inheritance or another huge sum of money making them independent, or people getting Disability Pension (in the few countries where this still exists) are more likely to work whatever they are capable of, even for small wages. What matters to them is to get out of the door and meet other people and make a contribution to society.

In Denmark there are very strict rules to get a Disability Pension, and some few of them have it secured, guaranteed like a kind of Unconditional Basic Income. People who get this type of pension are way more likely to work, even work for 20, sometimes 30 hours/week below the minimum wage. They don't get rich by working, yet they work anyway, even though they are not obliged to work at all.

What does this tell you? It certainly tells me that when you treat people nicely, they'll return the favor.
But if you push them beyond their physical or mental capabilities, they get more sick or disabled and cannot work.
It has to do with stress hormones, I think.

your confusing , the concept of a idea society with reality .. i have watched this hoodlum and drug prevailing activity on the street up close . The persons you refer to that do gang missions and
drug sales are not doing this because of a hard situation or have no choice .. But rather have observed . that the effects of drugs on individual are addictive . And they look for easy access.
Much of what happens can be traced to peer pressure. And ease of access. Then often as they degenerate into this lifestyle often can find if they want support of their buddies they need to continue behaving as they do . Not all of them are drug addicts but often times it is just peer pressure . Young men wanting the feel of excitement going through their minds . So if your a criminal type to get the admiration of your peers . You might just committ a greater crime and not get caught . And even if you do get caught and get out , The peer group still still admires you for your experience. If you dont get caught you become a idol that your other peers may think that they want to prove that they are as "bad" as the next peer . be it doing drugs or doing crimes.
It is the nature of the gang culture and often that of some street people . They often may see people that try to help them out of the situation as Suckers . People who are not aware of street culture. This is obviously not the case with all" homeless" but many of this types will use these words as a cover , to avoid some of the judgement honest people might put on them .
And further take advantage of the Suckers . Using basic street psychology . They will use words like everybody hates us homeless people to bring this psychology into use to protect their lifestyle.

The Genuine ones are usually already engaged in trying to get off the streets. This does not address the sick and disabled persons in these situation. These are my 1 st hand observations of situations destroying my neighbourhood .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:03 am

In other words, there are many reasons why people become drug addicts or criminals.

It’s not just the socioeconomic reasons put forward in sociology courses. Though these reasons do exist

Many middle class (or rich) kids merely are attracted to the lifestyle of drug addicts/criminals.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2022, 11:29 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
slam_thunderhide wrote:
There seems to be a steady stream of threads in here started by liberal types – usually Americans – complaining about the mess their society is in and worrying out loud about some impending right wing, Fascist dictatorship.

The fact is, the US (like most other Western countries) has been moving in a socially liberal, economically neoliberal, anti-national and globalist direction for decades – so if liberal types are unhappy about the state of their society, maybe they should start by casting some of the blame on their own liberal value system instead of forever focusing on some future Fascist bogeyman.

Doesn’t it say something about the deficiencies of the current liberal democratic system we live under that it has little else to motivate and inspire people beyond scare stories claiming that what ‘might’ replace it is going to be even worse?

In fact, there has always been a conservative reactionary resentment toward liberalism, and therein lies the fascist threat.

Fascism is a revolutionary ideology, so in that important respect is very much the opposite of reactionary conservatism. About 90% of people on this forum throw the word 'fascism' around without understanding what it means.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Many of the people who took part in the January 6 riot had been motivated by fears that they were losing their high status as white people due to non-whites gaining equality due to liberalism, or believing that the growing number of non-white Americans was proof that whites were being replaced.

Whatever their motivations were for supporting Trump in the first place, the immediate motivation for the protest was the belief (backed up by plenty of evidence I might add) that their preferred candidate had been cheated out of the Presidency by election fraud.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Same as with middle class people believing that they are losing economic standing because of liberal policies that provide a social safety net for poor people.

Oh really ... I thought it was fascism when they dared to criticize people like George Soros. (The outrageous wealth of people like Soros, who has produced nothing of any value to justify it, is a result of the 'liberalism' you love so much by the way.)

It seems like the only thing ordinary white people are allowed to complain about without being 'fascists' is ... other ordinary white people (for being fascists of course).

Kraichgauer wrote:
Fascism feeds on the irrational fear and resentment of the haves of the have-nots, and for the liberalism that provides equality and livelihood for said have-nots.

Yes, that old cliché again: "fascists gain support by feeding on people's irrational fears" claim people whose blind support of liberalism is fed by irrational fears about fascism. It's amazing people can't see the irony here.

I'm quite convinced that if people like you lived in a fascist society, you'd be repeating fascist propaganda with all the conviction you currently repeat liberal propaganda while living in a liberal society.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:38 am

There is no evidence to support any claims the 2020 presidential election was "stolen" from Mr. Trump.

If the alleged "evidence" originated on Twitter, Youtube, or any other social website, then it is bogus.

If the alleged "evidence" originated with Mr. Trump, his relatives, or Mike Lindell, then it is bogus.

Deal with it . . . and quietly, please.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2022, 11:55 am

Fnord wrote:
There is no evidence to support any claims the 2020 presidential election was "stolen" from Mr. Trump.

If the alleged "evidence" originated on Twitter, Youtube, or any other social website, then it is bogus.

If the alleged "evidence" originated with Mr. Trump, his relatives, or Mike Lindell, then it is bogus.

Lol @ someone with a 52,847 post count implying I'm making too much noise in here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:57 am

slam_thunderhide wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Lol @ someone with a 52,847 post count implying I'm making too much noise in here.
Since you cannot refute the message, you attack the messenger.

The "noise" you are making is the false claim of a stolen election.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2022, 12:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
slam_thunderhide wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Part of your 'message' is basically telling me to shut up. That's not an argument. And it's there in black and white for all to see.

I know you won't admit it though. You'll probably just post a few more of your clichés until the thread gets closed down.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 12:16 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
Fnord wrote:
slam_thunderhide wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Part of your 'message' is basically telling me to shut up. . .
No, that is a friendly request for you to quietly deal with the truth about Mr. Trump's election defeat.
slam_thunderhide wrote:
I know you won't admit it though. You'll probably just post a few more of your clichés until the thread gets closed down.
I will never agree with someone else's false claims.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2022, 12:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
slam_thunderhide wrote:
Fnord wrote:
slam_thunderhide wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Part of your 'message' is basically telling me to shut up. . .
No, that is a request for you to quietly deal with the truth about Mr. Trump's election defeat.

Lol, that's the same thing, and everyone can see it. I disagree with about 90% of what gets posted in this Politics forum, but I'm never brazen enough to tell people to be quiet.

The details of the election aren't really relevant to this thread. I just mentioned them in passing with a note on my own beliefs about the matter. And for your information, I am not really bothered about who the US President is, just as I am not really bothered about whether coronavirus came from a wet market or a lab, so the implication that I am some sort of Trump supporter who needs to "deal" with his defeat is false.

I'm done with this thread. I'm sure you're determined to have the last word, so go for it. See if you can address any of the other points I made in my post to Kraichgauer - that might at least get the thread back on track.

Last edited by slam_thunderhide on 11 Jan 2022, 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 12:39 pm

Bye!

:D

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 2:39 pm

Augh...! !! You have critiqued , my favourite Pillow Manufacturer of the very same pillow , i use!
By reason of virtue signalling you are disrespecting my personal possession. The very item , i sleep with night after night , even before you made this association with him and President Trump
in this thread. You might be a bully if you drive people off of threads. :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 2:44 pm

Jakki wrote:
Augh...! ! ! You have critiqued , my favourite Pillow Manufacturer of the very same pillow , i use! By reason of virtue signalling you are disrespecting my personal possession. The very item , i sleep with night after night , even before you made this association with him and President Trump in this thread. . .
Lindell and Trump have already made the association.  I refer you to  This Thread. 

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Augh...! ! ! You have critiqued , my favourite Pillow Manufacturer of the very same pillow , i use! By reason of virtue signalling you are disrespecting my personal possession. The very item , i sleep with night after night , even before you made this association with him and President Trump in this thread. . .
Lindell and Trump have already made the association.  I refer you to  This Thread. 

okay that thread was enlightening . but in defense of my own situation, it seems , i feel you have put me in a position to throw " my pillow" out ! of my bed 8O . My relationship with my pillow will never be the same. ...... :cry: