Low vaccination uptake amongst ethnic minorities

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2022, 1:46 am

As an individual who has lived in a heavily multicultural, deprived socio-economic area all of my life & grew up in an area where there was probably about 30% of both my primary school and high school that were persons of ethnic minority (and there was little genuine racism abound) - the reason why ethnic minorities don't want vaccines is because they don't trust government.

It is a very white cultural concept, to trust governments. Ethnic minorities, disabled folk and other minorities have been historically persecuted by governments in western society.

Virtue signalling pro-vaccination narratives is actually discriminatory against minority groups who have reason to distrust government.

For many minority groups, whom western governments purposely disadvantage and try to kill in every way possible (economically, culturally etc.) - a vaccination is a very threatening, disturbing prospect. :skull:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2022, 10:56 pm

Vaccine hesitancy among ethnic minorities, especially among Black people, is certainly understandable, given the history of things like the Tuskegee experiment.

But this doesn't mean it's "racist" to encourage vaccination. On the contrary, it would be racist to have an attitude of "just let the Black folks get sick." What's needed is additional, culturally-sensitive pro-vaccine messaging targeted at Black and other ethnic minority communities.

Also, at least here in the U.S.A., one of the main reasons for the relatively low vaccination rate among minorities is not vaccine hesitancy, but lack of convenient access to places where one can be vaccinated. (At least this was true a year ago; I'm not sure to what extent it's still true. To whatever extent it is still true, it should be remedied, of course.)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 6:15 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Vaccine hesitancy among ethnic minorities, especially among Black people, is certainly understandable, given the history of things like the Tuskegee experiment.

But this doesn't mean it's "racist" to encourage vaccination. On the contrary, it would be racist to have an attitude of "just let the Black folks get sick." What's needed is additional, culturally-sensitive pro-vaccine messaging targeted at Black and other ethnic minority communities.

Also, at least here in the U.S.A., one of the main reasons for the relatively low vaccination rate among minorities is not vaccine hesitancy, but lack of convenient access to places where one can be vaccinated. (At least this was true a year ago; I'm not sure to what extent it's still true. To whatever extent it is still true, it should be remedied, of course.)

I have never said anywhere that it is racist to encourage vaccination. That was an implication you perceived in your mind, not mine.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 6:19 pm

I've never quite bought the whole Tuskegee thing as an explanation for black vaccine hesitancy, it reads to me as a way for progressives to let one of their protected classes off the hook for something they want to condemn other groups for.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 6:46 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I've never quite bought the whole Tuskegee thing as an explanation for black vaccine hesitancy, it reads to me as a way for progressives to let one of their protected classes off the hook for something they want to condemn other groups for.

For me, progressives are anti-wokeology (at least, authoritarian wokeology).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 7:47 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

I have never said anywhere that it is racist to encourage vaccination. That was an implication you perceived in your mind, not mine.

What does this, that you posted mean than?:
Virtue signalling pro-vaccination narratives is actually discriminatory against minority groups who have reason to distrust government.

It does kind of look like you are implying it's racist/discriminatory to encourage vaccination.