Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 10:36 pm

Silly question..
Whenever I am walking, i frequently find myself looking up, rather than down or (most logicly) straight ahead. Anyone else do this?

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 10:39 pm

Hmm... I don't look up. Sometimes I do for a change of pace... it's interesting how the world looks completely different when you tilt your head contrary to your usual.

I normally look down... I think... or perhaps that is just when I am around people. I guess naturally I just look forward.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

StonedRoach
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2007, 10:44 pm

I used to stare down at the ground when I walked.

But by nowadays I've loosened up.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 10:58 pm

Yes, I do this too. Maybe because it's less distracting to look into the sky. :?:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 11:26 pm

I sometimes do it in order to avoid looking at people...looking down, my eyes might be more prone to bumping into them.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2007, 12:58 am

I used to have walking OCD pretty badly so I would always be looking down... but now my gaze tends to be level...

zee
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 6:15 am

I forgot to mention that I stumble on a daily basis... but I can usually keep my balance. :?

It reminds me of a kid's story about a buy named Hans who always looked in the air when he walked. I think eventually he walked into a lake and drowned or something.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 6:29 am

I did some research into this tale and found that actually the boy was rescued, but his "portfolio" was swept away in the river. Interestingly, the wikipedia article states:

"...Apart from... "Fidgety Philip" (Zappelphillip) and John-Look-in-the-Air (Hans-Guck-in-die-Luft), he wrote other descriptions that are strongly believed to describe persons with Attention Deficit Disorder. ADD in Germany is often also called the "Zappelphillip-Syndrom",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struwwelpeter

:!:

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2007, 8:45 am

As long as I have my sunglasses I like gazing into the sky when I walk, but then I end up stumbling on something or walking into some short object. So I tend to look up for a bit and then back down to plot my walking path. Then I can look back up for a bit more.
When I look straight ahead I can plot out my path using my lower peripheral vision to note potential hazards. I look at the ground when they get near to avoid them.

Iamscientist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2007, 10:33 am

Looking up constantly while walking sounds like a recipe for disaster.

My instinct, and what I actually did for many years, was to look down at the ground when I walked.

I noticed it, or someone else noticed it and told me I did it, and now I make an effort to look up. Now, I'm less stressed about looking someone in the eyes, so I always look at the faces of those coming toward me. There for a while, I would do that, but I would get spooked if they looked back at me and I would look away quickly. Now I look at them, and if they look back at me, I will lock eyes just for a second and smile or nod as the situation demands (fyi, women usually get smiles, men usually get nods, :wink: )

Truth is, I'm not a scientist. I'm an analytic philosopher, but we like to think we're scientists.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2007, 11:18 am

Sometimes I look up when I'm walking myself. Mostly when I walk outside my head is pretty down but at the same time trying to watch where I'm going, so I don't bump into anything or anyone.

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2007, 11:35 am

Iamscientist wrote:
My instinct, and what I actually did for many years, was to look down at the ground when I walked.

I noticed it, or someone else noticed it and told me I did it, and now I make an effort to look up.

I had the exact same thing. I never realized looking down was 'incorrect'. I make the effort to look ahead but try to avoid eyes of oncoming people.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 11:35 am

A mixture of a lot of things, I suppose.

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2007, 11:38 am

I look down while walking. If I look up I can't walk in a straight line very well and trip over my feet more.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 11:42 am

I realise that when around other people and wishing to be avoided, I will either look up or down..(I do look down sometimes as well..)...The looking up sorta has a floating in space sorta aspect to it that is interesting..

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 12:39 pm

Usually when I go out I usually look around and look at this bright and beautiful world exept for the rain we have been getting in England