Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 4:21 pm

I wasn't sure if this was appropriate here, but I think Ulysses certainly touches on philosophy, especially in its look at the mind and history. An entertaining article for its anniversary:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jan/29/dangerous-voyeuristic-transgressive-exciting-anne-enright-on-james-joyces-ulysses-at-100

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 5:44 am

I'm curious of anyone else feels this way, but there are two ideas in philosophy, which really bother me. One is Camus' idea that life is absurd. The other is our refusing pain and suffering--a denial which religion and politics are both based on. When pain is accepted, it seems to lead to pessimism (as in Schopenhauer), which I also dislike. Each of these views assumes something about life--a human entitlement that exists only in our minds.

Absurdity is a perspective, which assumes the world should appeal to human thought and pleasure, as if this is the aim of reality.

Pessimism assumes pleasure is the goal, and life fails by not meeting this. Why shouldn't we suffer, though? You can be happier once you realize pain is inevitable, instead of fixating on how life could or should be. Not that we should be passive, but pain is one form of meaning, not a refusal of life.

Of course, both relate to our hate of the body, and the idea impermanent things have no value. Religion and society are also based on this. It's very narcissistic to assume temporary things are worthless or illusory. But, that's religion and politics for you. We value things because they are impermanent--otherwise they would lack meaning.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 7:59 am

HighLlama wrote:
Why shouldn't we suffer, though? You can be happier once you realize pain is inevitable

I think happiness is just a relative thing. Without unhappiness it has no meaning.
Swedish cartoonist, poet etc Joakim Pirinen wrote a play once about a family who always were happy "Familjen Bra".
To accomplish that, everything had to get even better all the time. It became quite absurd really fast.

/Mats

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 3:02 pm

mohsart wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Why shouldn't we suffer, though? You can be happier once you realize pain is inevitable

I think happiness is just a relative thing. Without unhappiness it has no meaning.
Swedish cartoonist, poet etc Joakim Pirinen wrote a play once about a family who always were happy "Familjen Bra".
To accomplish that, everything had to get even better all the time. It became quite absurd really fast.

/Mats

That sounds hilarious :D

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2022, 4:17 pm

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 5:07 pm

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 5:18 pm

Thank you for posting WCW. I watched it last night. ^^

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 6:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Thank you for posting WCW. I watched it last night. ^^

You bet :) What did you think? I thought it was very well-done, especially for being short. A good, intimate, overview. I loved the comparisons with T.S. Eliot, too.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 7:54 pm

I enjoyed it, too. I've always been interested in his style for its simplicity and scope.

It's funny how a poet can be so astute about the human condition without rhyming. :wink:

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 4:19 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I enjoyed it, too. I've always been interested in his style for its simplicity and scope.

It's funny how a poet can be so astute about the human condition without rhyming. :wink:

A doctor, even :P

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 4:20 am

Steve Martin discusses his near-career as a philosophy professor, and how studying philosophy influenced his comedy.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 3:04 pm

Another good one, about the conductor Paavo Järvi. I thought it would be about contemporary classical composers, but instead it was a personal look into his life and how life is as a conductor.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 4:43 pm

A brilliant documentary on the poet Marianne Moore. It gives a great overview of her life, and wonderful analysis of several poems. I was very surprised. Nice discussions of technique and effect.