What makes you manipulative?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 7:28 pm

It's a term based on the old 40's movie. He is trying to convince she is cray-cray as to steal her wealth. It's a good movie as I just watched it. Today it's used to describe a person that presents a false narrative that makes another doubt their perceptions and then to be misled.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 7:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
lvpin wrote:
Manipulation is confusing and I constantly wonder what the line is. Like with masking, is that manipulative because you are changing yourself/not presenting the real you. Then again the real you might get rejected or be misunderstood. I think I get confused because lots of people mistook my genuine misunderstandings as me trying to manipulate/lie to them. Idk

I think from the responses in this one instance though I must not be.
One person's manipulative behavior may be another person's survival mechanism.  If everything we did to maintain a peaceful social environment was considered "manipulative", then we would all be guilty.  However, in my opinion, deliberately playing on someone's feelings (i.e., guilt, pride, sorrow, et cetera) to get what you want (i.e., perks, promotions, raises, et cetera) is far more manipulative than simply smiling and making eye contact.

Ah I see, That is a good point. My goal is to just have people not be horrible to me so I think based on what you said that is ok? I have a bit of difficulty with that stuff as I have a lot of unhealthy relationships with family that complicated my upbringing and a lot of people who definitely have some stuff that has not been diagnosed. On top of that I deal with dissociation so I don't even know what I feel or think sometimes. Your definition has been helpful so thank you.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 7:40 pm

txfz1 wrote:
It's a term based on the old 40's movie. He is trying to convince she is cray-cray as to steal her wealth. It's a good movie as I just watched it. Today it's used to describe a person that presents a false narrative that makes another doubt their perceptions and then to be misled.

I love that film! That and vertigo are my favourite psychological films around that time period. I was just confused if they were saying I was gaslighting or not :')

It's a sensitive topic bc I've been accused of being manipulative when I've shown I was upset about things in the past as I have strong emotional reactions which I'm working on.

CrisChalcedony
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2022, 4:13 pm

lvpin wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
You don't sound manipulative by any definition of the word I'm familiar with.  You sound tired of being hurt and rejected.
The opening post has little to do with being "manipulative", and more to do with lvpin's negative self-image.

Manipulation is confusing and I constantly wonder what the line is. Like with masking, is that manipulative because you are changing yourself/not presenting the real you. Then again the real you might get rejected or be misunderstood. I think I get confused because lots of people mistook my genuine misunderstandings as me trying to manipulate/lie to them. Idk

I think from the responses in this one instance though I must not be.

I get confused about this a lot, too, but I agree with others that in this case I don't think you're being manipulative. Not in the generally-understood definition. I'm sorry you're feeling this way! It's tough to sort these things out and know where the lines are. But exercise is healthy for many reasons and there's no harm in the action regardless of the cause.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 5:21 pm

lvpin wrote:
Wasn't quite sure if this belongs here but let me explain. One of my constant obsessions that peaks when my mental illness is at its worse is that I must have something about me that is repulsive to most people, with this affecting males the worst. I thought of it initially as an energy but now I think it has to come from how I hold myself and there must be something about how I act that I don't understand because of my autism.

I was thinking about this today and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how I look, I will always be ugly/repulsive because that s what I am in myself

Then I started thinking about how the friend who cut me off said that when he first met me he wanted to protect me/thought I needed to be protected but then after he got to know me more he ended up saying something about me made him want to argue with me/upset me. I think maybe this is what a lot of people get with me so maybe how I can stop this happening is try to skew things more to the protective side.

I'm already working on losing weight because a sudden weight gain triggered by a fear of abandonment made it really hard for me towalk more than 10 minutes. When I weighed myself last I was 91.8 (202lbs) kg and I'm aiming to get to around 60-65kg (132-143). I think it's possible as I'm doing it through mindful eating and exercise, the former which made me realise I was bingeing every three or so days and eating constantly till I felt sick. I feel if i was that smaller weight, paired with the fact my legs turn in and the fact I apparently always look terrified that would make people less repulsed. I don't want to be protected but I'd rather people feel that than want to hurt me.

Is that manipulative? I know it isn't exactly healthy but when he cut me off that was my last straw. Guys seem to always get disgusted at me, so strongly that they like to rub it in my face. It's not like I insult them or argue with them just before it happens. I think they must realise what I am and that is why they are disgusted. Is it wrong of me to try to stop this? I don't know if that is manipulative or not and I don't want to be that because it is morally wrong. I just don't want to feel abandoned again.

Self improvement...excercising to make yourself look better so folks have a better impression of you is not being "manipulative". Or not in the usual sense folks mean. So dont feel guilty about trying to improve yourself. Thats ridiculous.

Being "manipulative" is more deliberate exploitation of people than that, by playing on their emotions. Its simply not an issue for you it sounds like. So dont worry about it.

You have some kinda issue, but thats not it.

You obviously have "abandonment issues". I knew a young lady who was very clingy and it drove people away from her. She evolved into a remarkable person whom i kinda regret loosing touch with. But when she was young she ws very needy and clingy on many levels. That maybe what is going on with you. Or not. I dont interact with you in person so I cant tell. But continue to excercise and to improve your dress and so forth if thats wanting. And try to get some counseling.

arianekh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2022, 4:48 am

Manipulative
exercising unscrupulous control or influence over a person or situation.

Unscrupulous
having or showing no moral principles; not honest or fair.

So I'm going to vote no, you are not manipulative. I have the same struggles, I find that people are very superficial. After I gave birth I was really heavy and people didn't treat me very nicely, but when I force myself to exercise and eat healthily, which I hate, and wear nice dresses and make-up, people treat me better. It's a sad situation but it unfortunately happens. So I'm in the same boat, trying to hyperfocus and obsess about things that will make me look better so people treat me better. I would love to hide away, be happy and only surround myself with people who like me for who I am, but I have to work so that's not realistic. But you're not manipulative, from my perspective, you sound quite normal and I'm happy to hear I'm not alone :D

https://psychology-tools.com/