Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 7:19 am

Background:
My Driver's License expired a short while ago, but due to covid it's still valid as a Driver's License but not as an ID card.
So I filled out the form to get a new card, but since I have no valid ID card I cannot pick it up.
There are a couple of things I could do to resolve this, but the by far easiest is to get a passport, which will be a valid ID, and thus be able to pick up my new Driver's License.
But to be able to apply for a passport I need an ID card or have a relative come with me to tell them that I am me.
OR I could bring a colleague instead of a relative.

So I've asked two colleagues, one basically didn't answer and the other first said OK but later declined to help me with some excuse about disruption of her routines.
It was really hard for me to make myself ask these two, and now I don't know who else to ask.
I may just take a day off and travel to my brother to resolve the issue, but it seems like such a waste of time and money.

Not asking for advice or anything, just sharing an experience.

/Mats

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 7:23 am

yes, if the ones you trust and depend upon are not dependable, that is emotionally painful and does not feed confidence to try again. Hope you find a way to solve your troubles.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 8:27 am

The thing about asking is people can say no - if they cannot saw no it stops being asking and starts being manipulating.

Sometimes it hurts when someone says no. Sometimes it touches a hurting place inside of me.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:54 am

It doesn't really hurt, and I'm not expecting (but hoping for) a yes. But it's frustrating.
In this particular case, it's not a specific time or day, and it's not really burdensome. I'd offer to help instantaneously if someone asked a similar favor of me.
And I'm not really comfortable asking people I don't know at least a little bit.

/Mats

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 9:22 pm

hang in there and keep trying.
We are pulling for you.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 10:16 pm

Look on the bright side, a passport is a gateway to a new world if you are inclined.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 9:53 am

Got it sorted by emailing everyone at my unit.
I didn't bother renewing my passport earlier due to the pandemic. One lesson learned, I guess.
Anyways, this thread wasn't meant to be about this specific event. It's more of an example of situations I sometimes get into.

/Mats