Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 9:46 am

Kalamazoo author with autism creates children’s book to instill confidence, teach acceptance

Quote:
Erin Beal always learned things in a different manner than her peers. It wasn’t until four years ago that she knew the reason why.

Beal, now 34, has autism spectrum disorder.

“Growing up, everyone just kind of pegged me as quiet, shy, smart, sweet little girl,” she said. “And because I didn’t cause any trouble and was intelligent, it was overlooked that I was really struggling with sensory issues and was not on the same path as my peers.

“That just became more and more apparent the older I got, growing into more and more challenging situations socially and professionally. So in my early 20s is when I really started thinking about it, and before I turned 30 I started looking into it and researching it a lot and that eventually led to me being diagnosed.”

That diagnosis also led Beal — an experienced technical writer and social media marketer who has a bachelor’s degree in rhetoric and writing from Western Michigan University — down a different career path.

I just wanted to find a career path where I could be myself and help other people,” she said. “Unfortunately, the center had to close due to COVID. So, I began doing a lot of creative writing and art in my free time, and that’s when the story came together.”

The story is Beal’s first published book. A children’s fable, it is titled, “I am Enough: Little 1′s Journey.”

Geared toward all ages and “anyone who feels a little different,” Beal penned the book with the intention of inspiring those who may face similar challenges as she did to “keep going and when you fall down, get up and try something new.

The author stated that the biggest challenges throughout her life have been dealing with sensory issues and being accepted in educational and professional environments.

The book, which was also illustrated by Beal using Adobe Illustrator — giving it a more modern look — can be digitally downloaded at Blurb.com. Softcover copies can also be ordered at Blurb or at amazon.com.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman