Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:31 am

Dumb question #5 from me:

I have a 2012 Macbook with a gazillion YouTube songs saved in my Bookmarks. I have an iTunes app but iTunes doesn't work anymore. I think they're out of business now or something.

I have no idea what to do with my music or how to make a music library on my Macbook. I can't figure out how to get Apple Music on my laptop even though I have Apple Music on my iPhone and I use it on my iPhone.

How do people store music on Macbooks?

Thanks, from The Technologically Inept One

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 12:04 pm

I use VLC on MacBook and on Windows - it is Free Open Source with no ads to listen to music and audiobooks - it works with video content too but I mostly use it as a music player.

I think Apple renamed iTunes app as Music - come to think of it - I use “iTunes Store” and “Music” apps on my iPhone but not on my MacBook

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 12:20 pm

Fenn wrote:
I use VLC on MacBook and on Windows - it is Free Open Source with no ads to listen to music and audiobooks - it works with video content too but I mostly use it as a music player.

I think Apple renamed iTunes app as Music - come to think of it - I use “iTunes Store” and “Music” apps on my iPhone but not on my MacBook

Thanks Fenn. I've never heard of VLC but I'll have a look. Does it organise music like Apple Music would, into playlists?

Right now I only save YT videos in my Bookmarks, and they aren't organised so it's hard to find anything. I can't make playlists. I still have the iTunes icon but when it click it, it just tries to sell me stuff.

Edit: OK nevermind. I asked my daughter. She laughed her arse off at me and said that iTunes is Apple Music now? Somehow she got all my Apple Music playlists to transfer onto my Macbook with the push of a button. Kids .... :oops:

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 12:35 pm

I had the same problem with all the cds I painstakingly ripped. I ain’t buying the Beatles white album again. I have a flash drive that holds everything and I’ll update it if I purchase any new music. To get it on the iphone is the pain as you can’t sync with itunes anymore. I had to use the iCloud to physically copy the files and point music to the files on the mac. To get them on the iphone, connect via a cable and sync via finder. I still don’t have all my music on the iphone but most have transferred.

Remember when you could only sync your itunes to 3 devices, what a pain!

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm

You seem to have got this sorted now, Isabella, but as another possible strategy for you to consider, here's what I do with my YouTube music files:

Anything that I like and want to keep, I download it from YouTube and then have a permanent copy that I can put in my own folders. This guards against the clip being removed from YouTube in the future or becoming otherwise inaccessible.

There's a program called '4K Downloader', and there appears to be a Mac version:

https://www.4kdownload.com/welcome

Alternatively, there's a very straightforward addon for Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... -download/

Here's a small section of my collection:

The only downside to this process is that it would be a bit time consuming if you have hundreds, or thousands, of bookmarks.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 8:03 pm

I use Foobar2000 , cause I'm a geek. And i'm used to it now. Of course I have VLC installed and all that.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 9:05 pm

VLC does have play lists. (Now that you already have a solution).
I just googled "VLC playlists youtube" and there are many many hits.
You can also use it to rip YouTube videos (google for how to) and rip DVDs and CDs.

Here is the wikipedia article on it - you can jump from there to the VLC web site if you are still curious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player

I found it years ago when I got sick of MS and others making Music apps that were all bug-ware or annoy-ware.
It handles all kinds of formats - ones that other "For Pay" apps don't.

Actually iTunes suffered from bloat. It got broken up into:
(Apple) Music App
(Apple) TV App
(Apple) Podcasts App
Syncing from/to your iPhone is now in Finder
I think there are a few others I missed like iCloud App and (Apple) Books App

In other news - my father locked himself out of his new iPad that I got him - and drove 7 hours to give him because his last one stopped charging. And that was caused by his replacing the AC to DC converter with one that didn't work with his previous iPad. It was all working when I left. The main reason I got it for him was so he can Facetime his grandkids.

Actually it is my fault - I should have written down the new PIN and stuck it to the back of his bathroom mirror. Or used the same one he was using on his old iPad. Why can Apple not make things that work for everyone - not just for teenagers and Apple employees and people who are computer Savy?
(sorry OT - major tangent).

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Dumb question #5 from me:

I have a 2012 Macbook with a gazillion YouTube songs saved in my Bookmarks. I have an iTunes app but iTunes doesn't work anymore. I think they're out of business now or something.

I have no idea what to do with my music or how to make a music library on my Macbook. I can't figure out how to get Apple Music on my laptop even though I have Apple Music on my iPhone and I use it on my iPhone.

You mean they're actual files? Just go into Finder and copy and paste them onto another device.