Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 2:20 pm

I feel very self conscious when I eat meat. My mom is going vegan and is telling me that meat isn’t healthy. It’s frustrating because I never eat fried or fatty meats. It’s all lean (chicken breast and fish mostly) nor do I eat fast food. I already gave up most sweets unless I cheat, which is very rare. What should I do? I was taught lean meat contributes to diabetes (I don’t have diabetes).

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 1:26 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I feel very self conscious when I eat meat. My mom is going vegan and is telling me that meat isn’t healthy. It’s frustrating because I never eat fried or fatty meats. It’s all lean (chicken breast and fish mostly) nor do I eat fast food. I already gave up most sweets unless I cheat, which is very rare. What should I do? I was taught lean meat contributes to diabetes (I don’t have diabetes).

i personally think veganism is very subjective. I tried to go vegan once & my health fell apart very quickly. I eat a lot of meat, but I don't like the ethical implications. But it does make me feel good inside & emotionally. I feel vitalized eating meat, yet when I reflect on it, it seems rather barbaric.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 10:57 pm

Meat is very good for the health.
Just go for good quality, ethical sources, and eat small quantities.
Avoid the processed stuff, like hot dog sausages, those are toxic.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 11:00 pm

I was taught lean meat contributes to diabetes

Well, you could say that eating contributes to diabetes...
But seriously, no. A healthy diet for diabetics usually includes lean meat, together with plenty of vegetables.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 11:09 pm

All foods are bad for us now. Fish, for example, is full of mercury, which is the most common cause of mercury poisoning. Mercury poisoning can lead to decreased intelligence. Seeing how humans typically behave, that explains a lot. :roll:

Everything is full of E. Coli and salmonella and listeria, it's a wonder we didn't all die years ago from eating. Maybe our bodies can develop a resistance to the poisons in small amounts?

enz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 1:47 am

Your Mum is just passionate about her new hobby you sound like your pretty healthy

Diabetes? Not unless you abuse your body every day with junk food

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 1:54 am

My sister is a vegan and it's quite annoying when she gets on her high horse.

Eating meat is fine for you health in moderation, if you want to be responsible and eat meat maybe stick to wild caught meat rather than farmed if you are worried about animal cruelty and/or environmental degradation.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 12:30 pm

enz wrote:
Your Mum is just passionate about her new hobby you sound like your pretty healthy

Diabetes? Not unless you abuse your body every day with junk food

I want to lose 60 pounds. My psychiatrist recommended a 1,500 calorie diet, exercise and eating healthy as well as seeing a dietitian. Rice and excessive sodium make my stomach bloat so I’m cutting that stuff out. I weigh about 260 but I looked and felt awesome between 185 and 200 pounds.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 12:38 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
Just go for good quality, ethical sources, and eat small quantities.
Avoid the processed stuff, like hot dog sausages, those are toxic.

This is reasonable advice. Also, if you're going to eat red meat, grass-fed is a good way to go.

I have a vegetarian friend who has tried to push me into giving up meat, but I'm very prone to iron deficiency anemia and giving up animal sources of iron never goes well for me. Doing this has at times even triggered telogen effluvium, when my ferritin levels got way too low. I take supplements, but don't seem to absorb them especially well, even with Vitamin C. Anyway, my point is everyone is different.

Not sure how you'd feel about this, but there is something to be said about trying to eat nose-to-tail. Not only is it less wasteful than only eating certain parts of the animal, but organ meats are loaded with nutrition and less expensive. For example, compare nutrition data for a single chicken liver vs a whole chicken breast.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 1:02 pm

I feel eating meat can be part of a healthy diet. Stick to fish and the lean meats like you're doing already. If I feel the urge to eat red meat I will eat London Broil. The cut is low fat; BTW Morningstar makes a very good vegan sausage.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2022, 6:38 pm

I have a couple female friends who went vegan/veggy in their early 30s, but have had to reintroduce red meat into their diets in their late 30s. Even with supplements/prescription they couldn't get enough iron, so it was red meat or iron infusions at the hospital. Both decided red meat beat more doctor & hospital visits. Therefor, I'd recommend getting your iron levels checked every few years if you continue to forego red meat.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 12:45 am

Blue_Star wrote:
I have a couple female friends who went vegan/veggy in their early 30s, but have had to reintroduce red meat into their diets in their late 30s. Even with supplements/prescription they couldn't get enough iron, so it was red meat or iron infusions at the hospital. Both decided red meat beat more doctor & hospital visits. Therefor, I'd recommend getting your iron levels checked every few years if you continue to forego red meat.

I’m almost 30 and I’m really starting to pay more attention to how I eat. White rice and too much carbs make my stomach bloat to where it’s painful. I had steak, eggs and a small amount of tater tots for dinner. My total calories today were like 1,153. Not sure if that’s too low or not.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 1:00 am

Blue_Star wrote:

I’m almost 30 and I’m really starting to pay more attention to how I eat. White rice and too much carbs make my stomach bloat to where it’s painful. I had steak, eggs and a small amount of tater tots for dinner. My total calories today were like 1,153. Not sure if that’s too low or not.

There's a number of apps/fitbits that can measure how much calories you take in and offset it against how much calories you burn (measured on a fitbit). If you enjoy your meat/eggs then should be ok as long as you keep yourself appropriately physically active.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:42 pm

Lean meat is way better for you than red meat from my understanding. Also if your mum is going vegan of course she would say that. Also all food in excess causes different issues. As long as you get your meat from good sources where the animals are well treated it should be fine :).