NYC student pro remote learning walkout protest

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 5:10 pm

Scores Of NYC High Schoolers Walk Out Of Classes Demanding Remote Learning During COVID Surge

Quote:
Students at several high schools in New York City coordinated a walkout from classes on Tuesday to call for remote learning as they protest what they say are unsafe learning conditions inside school buildings as COVID cases surged just as the spring semester began last week.

A campaign mounted by students and activists across some of New York’s best-known high schools – including Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech and Stuyvesant – led to a walkout shortly before noon on Tuesday.

While precise numbers were not immediately available, organizers estimated hundreds of students participated, with about 400 students walking out at Brooklyn Tech alone.

Students like me that have parents that are immunocompromised, students that are themselves immunocompromised, I can't imagine how anxious they are to go into a building and feel like they're putting their lives at risk every day,” said Sarah Ismile, a 16-year-old student standing outside Brooklyn Tech.

“The main goal we have is to have a temporary shutdown of schools in NYC and a hybrid option for students who have food insecurities or who need childcare. We also want more COVID testing for students and staff and an improved [Department of Education] health screening,” said Samantha Farrow, 16, a junior at Stuyvesant, in a phone interview. The city says it's testing 10 % of the unvaccinated students in each school, and an equal number of vaccinated students.

The students calling for remote options say in-person learning is currently hobbled, with curricula in holding patterns as scores of students, teachers and staff tested positive for COVID-19 while the highly-contagious omicron variant of COVID swept through the city after the winter holidays.

“The first day I came back to school on January 3rd — all of my teachers were absent except for one. We had lots of substitutes – it was a lot of nothing,” Farrow said. “Some of us read, some of us just sat around. We weren’t learning anything.”

Dorothy Chan, a senior at Brooklyn Tech, said the most recent email from the administration cited 85 new cases among the school community. Brooklyn Tech is one of the biggest high schools in America with 5,921 students enrolled last year, and Chan pointed out the student body takes mass transit from across the city to get to school.

“We have students that come from all five boroughs. And we also take many different types of public transport. And there's also no social distancing in our classrooms, or staircases or hallways, and there are a lot of different avenues that COVID can transmit between students, and it's ultimately not a safe place for students to be,” Chan said.

On January 10th, the city reported 11,825 cases among students, or about 1.2% of the 930,000-person student body. There were 2,298 cases among staff reported.

“I have asthma and other medical conditions and so do the people in my household as well,” said Lauren, a 15-year-old sophomore at University Neighborhood High School in Lower Manhattan where 30-40 students walked out.

In an interview last week, Mayor Eric Adams remained firm on keeping schools open, pointing out that many students may be "in communities where they don't have high speed broadband Wi-Fi, where they can't go online and get the education they need."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 10:16 pm

Ideally it becomes a choice, with a zoom view available, similar to the natural fall out that has happened in thousands of offices nationwide, and similar to the way many professional continuing education seminars have operated for years now. Choice is always good. Having fewer students in the classroom makes it safer for those who need to be in a classroom, as well.