Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 7:03 am

I have aphantasia too. I had no idea that when people said "picture this" they could actually see images in their minds. I learned about my aphantasia after I learned of my autism in my late 60's, It really helped me understand how come I had so many struggles as a kid. Between understanding my autism and learning I am also aphantasiac, I have a lot more peace of mind and self forgiveness over the things I can't do well. ( and there are a lot of them!)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 7:36 am

autisticelders wrote:
I have aphantasia too. I had no idea that when people said "picture this" they could actually see images in their minds. I learned about my aphantasia after I learned of my autism in my late 60's, It really helped me understand how come I had so many struggles as a kid. Between understanding my autism and learning I am also aphantasiac, I have a lot more peace of mind and self forgiveness over the things I can't do well. ( and there are a lot of them!)

Same! How the heck can you learn visual tasks when you have nothing in your brain that involves pictures?

It takes a long time to even do something as simple as picking up a box without looking at it, etc.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 8:17 am

I have visual aphantasia, can't picture a thing in my mind. I was shocked about a year and a half ago when I realized that others were not like this! It made a lot of sense in explaining parts of my life, and I can make accommodations for myself now I know. Apantasia is not thought at present to be related to autism in any way, but it is little understood and only beginning to be studied. I was surprised that aphantasia can also be of sound, taste, touch, etc. I guess I am lucky to only be missing visualization. It is thought to be neurological and atypical at that, with only about 2 percent of people worldwide experiencing this.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson