Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

cabowm02
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jan 2022, 11:09 pm

Im 35
I was diagnosed with Autism level 2 in May 2019. Lost my apartment and car I had paid off and it’s been a nightmare ever since.

I live in Louisville , Kentucky
When my disability was denied the person on web cam that did the evaluation said “you have pretty eyes”

I have a head injury from when I was 3. I can only raise one eyebrow, one eye twitches , one eyebrow can’t produce sweat.

It’s been really scary having private landlords in backwards Louisville , Kentucky .

Like I’ve definitely learned, if you tell someone you have autism, they will mock you, be curious, think about your diagnosis like they are re diagnosing you themselves and convince themselves basically that you don’t have autism if you can respond with a sentence.

I struggle a lot . I was able to keep a health insurance job working remotely but landlord threatened my life and showed up without notice when I was living in a ghetto apartment on the west end of Louisville. I am smart , but I have all the difficulties you can think of with autism and for me to do social interaction is a lot of work.

1 on 1 , I can do a lot easier. Because well I’m talking usually , but my only
Option now is jail, homeless shelter or under the bridge and I really hate Kentucky and the city of Louisville .

Currently I’m too scared to even apply for food stamps and I’ve lost most of my belongings from people that don’t want to ever drive and give them back to me. I’ve lost everything except some old clothes I got in bags .

Wish me luck because I have an infection in my gums from a surgery I knew about since 16 and finally got it.

Nobody cares in this backwards state of Kentucky if you’re an adult with autism. They just want to mock you and challenge you and laugh.

I don’t think I’m going to be alive much longer so wish me luck.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 7:13 am

If there are not state services available to you, you might be able to find a small church that could offer some help.

cabowm02
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2022, 11:08 am

timf wrote:
If there are not state services available to you, you might be able to find a small church that could offer some help.

Thank you for replying. I just needed to vent.

I actually am staying with a “church group.”

I even downloaded this Bible app they recommended , and it’s actually an awesome app.

For me, I wasn’t raised religious and since I feel so emotional but also all over the place, the app at this moment at least, is something that could help, but I like to be analytical and since I’m so scared about staying alive, it might make me more scared about staying alive.

They have fed me food, gave me coffee. They are such positive professional amazing people , but sometimes I can get “maniac” and kinda “shutdown.”

Usually to me though, it is because of real world problems I face , to me I have a “logical reason.”

Hopefully today, I can make some better steps. My main problem is, I could force myself to work with public, but I really shouldn’t and I just get overwhelmed if it isn’t “one on one” conversation .

Thank you for replying and reading.

cabowm02
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2022, 11:11 am

timf wrote:

I think normal people staying with a church group , wouldn’t feel like they are “doing a full time job,” but with my social interaction issues , I feel like I’m working right now , but I’m not, if that makes sense.

I think most people would just be overly thankful and happy and not feel “mentally drained,” or be thinking over and over about anything that’s said, which I even think is ridiculous too , but I do know me enough when it comes to social interaction and how much it impacts me lol

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 11:29 am

So glad to read you are getting help. Another source that would know about the autism such as the aane.org group.

cabowm02
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2022, 12:52 pm

txfz1 wrote:
So glad to read you are getting help. Another source that would know about the autism such as the aane.org group.

Thank you!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 5:57 pm

I hope that you get more of the help that you need.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 10:47 pm

I hope you can find some help and also get away. I grew up in a very backwards and intolerant town, and my life improved enormously after I escaped to a more diverse and tolerant place.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 10:23 pm

All states have VR Services that help people like us find work, so
would you consider contacting your state's VR Services in order to try and get back on your feet?

Oregon's VR Services helped me find work and it's been great ever since!

Keep us updated! :D

cabowm02
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2022, 10:44 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
All states have VR Services that help people like us find work, so
would you consider contacting your state's VR Services in order to try and get back on your feet?

Oregon's VR Services helped me find work and it's been great ever since!

Keep us updated! :D

Vocational Rehabilitation is who had me referred to be diagnosed with autism. I was given a career counselor, she suggest I work in a factory. I still had my car then. Prior to that job I was working at a web company as a web developer for roughly 13 months. I had mandated counseling I had to complete, and the person deciding how many sessions I should have, said him and his family is in web work, then they assigned me the most sessions possible. I took a temporary job at a health insurance company because I needed flexible hours to do mandated counseling.

Looking back, maybe the factory job would be okay, but since I have a head injury from when I was 3, since I need to still clear the infection in my gums (I could die from sepsis if I don’t have it cleared eventually) and of course lose my teeth , I also have very tiny lanky arms and I’m just 5’6..

Physical labor I could do depending, but not repetitively , I would have to gain muscle mass. I was using a exercise bike with arm bands for my arms..

Atrophy in my arms, longer thin arms for someone short, head injury are main reasons physical labor not so great.

Now the career counselor wanted to start talking about her vacation, when I still had my car and drove to another appointment, she said “she forgot about the appointment and needed to cancel.” Which I understand, any job, no one can be perfect everyday, it’s impossible. She was definitely intelligent and professional and age appropriate for someone to help me. I definitely appreciated our first phone call and definitely appreciated her motivation.

I just. With my personality and what can be offered as far as VA, I felt like I spent all my time for them to get paid and smile and feel comfortable.

I still feel, had I never sought a diagnosis , I would still have my apartment I live alone in and car that I paid off .

I dunno. Kentucky Louisville people (or just anywhere more conservative) are really “crazy in a professional way” about work and “crazy in a professional way” about anyone saying they have any type of disability like “autism.”

I just. Yeah ..

I did just get hired for a job!
Wish me luck!

Problem with autism. Keeping a job, doing the job correctly and contributing just as much as anyone else. I definitely DO NOT want anyone at any future job I work to know I have autism, unless I successfully do my job correct and have already excelled.. even then not really because I’m gay with small bones . So really I just don’t want to announce that for my future. It isn’t beneficial in anyway .