Prince Andrew's titles & patronages revoked.

Page 4 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 10:44 pm

Your honour, I submit proof. (could be a bit of photoshop magic going on. I know...)

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 10:46 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
As for Andrew escaping prosecution because of his mum, you're going to have to point out how that works according to actual facts. Considering that King Charles I was prosecuted and put to death, even ruling kings haven't been above or able to escape the law as far back as 1649.

My understanding of Charles I is that he lived in an era where England was under civil war and accused of treason against England by using his power to pursue his personal interest rather than the good of the country. Oliver Cromwell was charged by the English parliament to put him and his followers to death. England was highly vulnerable during this time to invasion from Spain or France so the charges were serious.

The role of the British monarchy in 2022 is completely different to medieval times. As an institution they are intertwined with the identity of the commonwealth which the royal family is respected and part of the identity that includes Australia where our currency still has HRH on our coinage. The maintenance of this institution is extremely important not just the Britain and the wider commonwealth but also the USA for whom the commonwealth is one of your strongest allies, even stronger than NATO countries in Europe,

The incarceration of Andrew would have a devastating impact on the reputation of the monarchy and the dissolution of the monarchy would also precipitate the dissolution of the commonwealth and the rise of republican movements in various commonwealth nations that doesn't serve the interests of either the UK or the US.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 10:53 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Megan aint ugly.... :? or are you saying theres something wrong with my eyes....

My best guess is that Harry had what I can only call a "crush" on the much older Hollywood actress. He barely knew her but probably imagined "Rachel Zane" the hot sassy girl friend of the main character in "Suits".

You have to remember Megan is not only older than Harry but she had only recently divorced when she met Harry. Yes she's hot but I think Harry had women much more attractive and younger and with more titles to their name than Megan. She's an actress and probably knew exactly what to say to Harry (There's a lot stuff that's come out that she researched Harry before meeting him).

On a scale of every available single female on the planet (yes Harry was the most eligible bachelor on the planet) his choice of Megan was strange.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 11:00 pm

Strange...Not really. I guess she got Charisma.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 12:53 am

theprisoner wrote:
Strange...Not really. I guess she got Charisma.

Remember she lived on the side of the planet so in addition to everything else, Harry had to cross land and sea to even meet this woman. Yes she was charismatic and charming until she (supposedly) threw tantrums at royal staff.

Another point that has some confluence with Andrew is that both Harry and Andrew had a "type".

Harry like petite young blondes. Every girlfriend fitted the same mould, Andrew like slender, young and petite (infact if you look at the women Andrew dated they are exactly like Virginia Giuffre) so I suspect Giuffre was introduced by Epstain/Maxwell to Andrew precisely because she fitted the type Andrew liked.

So both Sarah Ferguson and Megan Markle were really strange choices from that perspective. Although Sarah Ferguson was at least landed gentry being descended from royal stock (Charles II). Markle's extended family were an embarrassment. Her mother seems quite a nice lady but I suspect she was estranged from her own parents/siblings for reasons that have never been clear?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 1:01 am

Harry went for a Human to human connection, a didn't buy into royal pedigree crap that he was brought up in. I respect the fact he broke away, and living his own life on his own terms.

He might be the only one I respect out of the royal family, just for that reason alone. I find the constant crying in the media, and publicity tours to be somewhat narcissistic though.

Last edited by theprisoner on 16 Jan 2022, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 1:07 am

theprisoner wrote:
He went for a Human to human connection, a didn't buy into royal pedigree crap that he was brought up in. I respect the fact he broke away, and living his own life on his own terms.

He might be the only one I respect out of the royal family, just for that reason alone. I find the constant crying in the media, and publicity tours to be somewhat narcissistic though.

Oh, do you mean Harry?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 4:28 am

Dox47 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
"The Firm" is something Elizabeth II came up with regarding the business side of the royal family.

Huh, I have weird associations, but to me "the firm" always referred to British intelligence, while "the company" was American intelligence. I'm also a Cold War history nerd, so make of that what you will.

Well duhhhhh. Thats the point.

Regular working stiff Americans refer to their employer as "the corporation", or "the company". Brits use the word "the firm" for the same thing. Like railroad/railway - one term is more commonly American the other more British, but either word is understood in either country. Spies are no exception and refer to their particular beauracratic employers the same way that retail clerks refer to their employers in both respective countries. And during the Cold War British spooks and American spooks routinely interacted and shared intelligence, so its only natural that both would start referring to the MI as "the Firm" and to the CIA as "the Company".

So naturally the Queen is going to refer to the family business that she heads as "the Firm".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 4:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So naturally the Queen is going to refer to the family business that she heads as "the Firm".

Its weird but I really doubt the queen would use an American term to describe the royal household.

I would of thought something like the "House of Windsor" would be how they see themselves.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 4:49 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Its weird but I really doubt the queen would use an American term to describe the royal household.

I would of thought something like the "House of Windsor" would be how they see themselves.

Dude... are you able to read ?

My point was that "firm" is a BRITISH term. "Company" is the American equivalent. Not the other way around. Where did you get confused?

I meant that British working stiffs call THEIR employers "the firm". Was that not clear?

Obviously the queen wouldnt call it "the firm" in public, but use some grander term. But behind the scenes they all might call it the more mundane "firm" in jest (but many a truth is spoken in jest- it IS a family run business much like a Paki owned laundromat).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 5:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Obviously the queen wouldnt call it "the firm" in public, but use some grander term. But behind the scenes they all might call it the more mundane "firm" in jest (but many a truth is spoken in jest- it IS a family run business much like a Paki owned laundromat)]

Phillip will be rolling in his grave hearing you compare the royal institution/House of Windsor with a "Paki family owned Laundromat" :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 5:12 am

naturalplastic wrote:
My point was that "firm" is a BRITISH term. "Company" is the American equivalent. Not the other way around. Where did you get confused?

Yeah I watched "The Firm" with Tom Cruise which was my point of reference for it being American.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 5:35 am

Hmm, I don't think of "firm" as a particularly British word, in American English is would sound strange to refer to a law firm as a law company, for example, where as calling a manufacturing company a manufacturing firm sounds maybe a bit formal, but not that unusual or foreign the way calling an apartment a flat would.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 5:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Yeah I watched "The Firm" with Tom Cruise which was my point of reference for it being American.

In all fairness ...you're not an American yourself. So you dont carpool with me and my fellow employees to worksites. So you wouldnt know that Americans never use the word "firm" in conversation, but do talk about how "our company merged with that company, and thats why we inherited this company and that company as our clients..." and how we only hear the word "firm" in movies (usually movies with British characters, but yes... there is that Tom Cruise movie I forgot about). But as Dox pointed out we do say "law firm" for some reason. And the Firm in the Cruise movie IS a law firm I believe (havent seen it).

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 7:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
As for Andrew escaping prosecution because of his mum, you're going to have to point out how that works according to actual facts. Considering that King Charles I was prosecuted and put to death, even ruling kings haven't been above or able to escape the law as far back as 1649.

My understanding of Charles I is that he lived in an era where England was under civil war and accused of treason against England by using his power to pursue his personal interest rather than the good of the country. Oliver Cromwell was charged by the English parliament to put him and his followers to death. England was highly vulnerable during this time to invasion from Spain or France so the charges were serious.

The role of the British monarchy in 2022 is completely different to medieval times. As an institution they are intertwined with the identity of the commonwealth which the royal family is respected and part of the identity that includes Australia where our currency still has HRH on our coinage. The maintenance of this institution is extremely important not just the Britain and the wider commonwealth but also the USA for whom the commonwealth is one of your strongest allies, even stronger than NATO countries in Europe,

The incarceration of Andrew would have a devastating impact on the reputation of the monarchy and the dissolution of the monarchy would also precipitate the dissolution of the commonwealth and the rise of republican movements in various commonwealth nations that doesn't serve the interests of either the UK or the US.

Based on many comments I've read over many years from those who reside in the UK, most Brits would like to see the defunct monarchy put to an end. As far as I can see its only benefit to the UK is its appeal to tourists. And the only prime figures are Elizabeth, Charles and William. Andrew, Anne, Edward and Harry are all second string.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 9:20 pm

Hmmm interesting. According to this link it's attributed to an interview with an American newspaper and Queen Elizabeth's father George IV in an interview with the New York Times.
https://www.oprahdaily.com/entertainmen ... g-origins/

It's only a guess but since George IV was a well rounded individual, his use of the term of "Firm" in this context was having a joke with the New York Times which is an American publication so is it possible he just used a term the American public would understand? It's possible Phillip and Elizabeth may have continued the "light hearted"