Prince Andrew's titles & patronages revoked.

Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 3:35 am

The queen already guillotined him as much as she had the power to by revoking his titles and patronages. And put another way, it sounds like he's been kicked out of "the firm".

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 4:53 am

Anything that puts another nail in the coffin of the monarchy is welcomed by me. The UK will never emerge into “the modern age” (whatever that means) until the whole system of class and privilege comes crashing down… and that system is shored up by the royal family.

Rant over…

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 5:09 am

There are people whose lives were ruined, here. Posting his titles means nothing. The end of monarchy means nothing. Lack of character and compassion are problems that won't just go away because we change systems.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 5:38 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The queen already guillotined him as much as she had the power to by revoking his titles and patronages. And put another way, it sounds like he's been kicked out of "the firm".

A number of royals have been "kicked out" of the firm before Megan and Harry. Most famously King Edward VIII who ran of with Wallace Simpson and regularly had tea with Mr Hitler while his countrymen were being bombed by the Luftwaffe. The Queen has more influence than she is given credit for, They will never throw O'l Andy into the gallows. He's being cast out of the kingdom, to be exiled.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 6:26 am

HighLlama wrote:
There are people whose lives were ruined, here. Posting his titles means nothing. The end of monarchy means nothing. Lack of character and compassion are problems that won't just go away because we change systems.

You are mixing two evils together.

The end of the monarchy, the end of privilege, the end of Eton College… means an awful lot.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 6:41 am

People will find other ways to get privilege without a specific governmental form or college, though.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 6:57 am

HighLlama wrote:
People will find other ways to get privilege without a specific governmental form or college, though.

Now you’re mixing three evils together. Maybe deal with one at a time.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 3:31 pm

Time to release the rabid ferrets into his trousers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 5:17 pm

Personally, I wish he was allowed only the level of legal representation that a homeless person might have -- a law-school student doing pro-bono work to earn credits for a passing grade whether or not the client is acquitted.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 7:31 pm

Trueno wrote:
The end of the monarchy, the end of privilege, the end of Eton College… means an awful lot.

Eton and Harrow are still the bastion for educating children of the aristocracy in Britain. Getting rid of the royals hardly means the end of the "blue bloods". Many of those in the house of lords were patrons of the kings of old and not entitled to give up their legal titles. I also doubt the royal family will ever lose their land titles or assets even if the monarchy becomes redundant.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 7:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
Personally, I wish he was allowed only the level of legal representation that a homeless person might have -- a law-school student doing pro-bono work to earn credits for a passing grade whether or not the client is acquitted.

Yeah like that would ever happen.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 7:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yeah like that would ever happen.
If wishes was fishes . . . et cetera.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 8:32 pm

I'm glad the Queen has seen sense.
But I can't see the lawsuit going anywhere, can you?
I doubt that Andrew was involved enough in what was going on to know that the girl was being trafficked, it's not as if Epstein and Maxwell would have been telling everybody what they were up to.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 8:51 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
I doubt that Andrew was involved enough in what was going on to know that the girl was being trafficked, it's not as if Epstein and Maxwell would have been telling everybody what they were up to.

I mean, that's a fair point. I'm willing to give Andrew some benefit of the doubt that he didn't think too deeply about it.

It's like being a guest at the palace of the Sultan of Brunei who has (in real life) a bevy of girls at his beck and call and he offers you one of his "pets" as a gesture of good will. Most men don't turn into Sherlock Holmes trying to work out the back story of the woman on offer. They likely just part-take.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 9:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I mean, that's a fair point. I'm willing to give Andrew some benefit of the doubt that he didn't think too deeply about it.

It's like being a guest at the palace of the Sultan of Brunei who has (in real life) a bevy of girls at his beck and call and he offers you one of his "pets" as a gesture of good will. Most men don't turn into Sherlock Holmes trying to work out the back story of the woman on offer. They likely just part-take.

That's an area where I've often had a problem with US law, depending on the state you can be charged with statutory rape even if the girl showed you a fake ID claiming that she was over 18 at the time, that always struck me as unreasonable.

I could see building a defense around ignorance, I can't imagine there were signs up at Epstein Island advertising the underage girls on offer, and IIRC none of the girls was prepubescent where it would be obvious.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 9:20 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I could see building a defense around ignorance, I can't imagine there were signs up at Epstein Island advertising the underage girls on offer, and IIRC none of the girls was prepubescent where it would be obvious.

There's an interesting comment I've quoted before from Epstein's former friend Donald Trump where Trump acknowledges he knows Epstein likes his women "on the younger side" (Trump's words). A prosecutor could argue that it was common knowledge and that Epstein's friends (including Bill Clinton and Andrew) must have suspected something.

But, younger in this context probably just pertains to the "age-gap" rather than the girls being under-aged. In this context only Ghislaine Maxwell and Epstein himself knew that and probably kept that information to themselves to protect their own backs.

I think if Andrew just came clean and said he thought the girl was 21 (rather than pretend he never saw her before) he wouldn't be in this mess. I think he's embarrassed about his close friendship with both Epstein and Maxwell so its more guilt by association. So while the Queen is taken away his titles and patronage I doubt the criminal charges would stick.

Where he would come unstuck is if evidence came out that Giuffre communicated her age to Andrew and/or a witness testified that Andrew knew her age then things become more sticky for him.