SCOTUS blocks Biden’s workplace vaccine rule

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 4:42 pm

But the justices ruled that a separate federal policy insisting that many health care workers be vaccinated could move forward.

Quote:
The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked enforcement of President Joe Biden’s requirement that workers at larger businesses get vaccinated against Covid-19 or submit to weekly testing, a major blow to the administration’s strategy for fighting the coronavirus’ spread.

But the justices ruled that a separate federal policy insisting that many health care workers be vaccinated could move forward.

The decision to halt the most widely applicable mandate — the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s emergency standard for businesses and other organizations with more than 100 employees — split the court, 6-3, along the usual ideological lines.
The high court’s action allowing the health care worker rule to proceed garnered a narrow five-justice majority formed by the court’s three Democratic appointees as well as two Republican-appointed jurists, Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

The court’s action on the business mandate punts that issue back to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. But it signals that if the case returns to the high court, a majority of the justices will likely side with businesses and Republican-led states that sued to squelch the requirement, which would affect an estimated 84 million workers as the Omicron variant is driving up cases and straining health care systems.

Still, given the fast-moving nature of the pandemic, the Supreme Court’s interim actions take on added weight.

The court’s conservative members wrote in an unsigned opinion that OSHA — part of the Labor Department — had overstepped its authority in issuing the regulation.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 5:57 pm

Good.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 7:57 pm

No surprise.

I have mixed feelings; I always thought it was the wrong move by Biden, but I don't know if I'm willing to forever block the doors. Guess I'll need to study the opinion at some point, to see what it really does to those doors.

It frustrates me having coworkers who aren't vaccinated. I feel decidedly less safe, not that I want to debate all that here again this thread. Just venting.