Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 1:52 am

I know there's lots of Star Wars fans on WP so I'll keep this brief in case you haven't yet watched The Book of Boba Fett

I've seen the first three episodes

Episode 1 - quite compelling, some unnecessary bits 8/10
Episode 2 - even better - 9.5/10
Episode 3 - WTF! did kathleen Kennedy personally direct this one? went south from the start - 3/10

Hoping the remaining series can redeem itself

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 11:28 pm

I get that it was cool to get the same guy who played Jango Fett to play Boba, as he's supposed to be a clone of Jango, but Temuera Morrison is 61 and not in great shape, while canonically Boba Fett should be in his late 30s or so (I'm not nerdy enough to go look up the exact timeline), and I'm just having a hard time believing this guy is a galactic bad ass. I'd have recast Boba and had Morrison on as an aged surviving clone or something as a wink to the audience, but I just think there isn't enough CGI and fight scene choreography to sell this guy as an action hero, and they haven't even made him ruthless or vicious in some other way to justify his reputation. I get that it's Disney and there are limits for them, but if you're going to make a show about an anti-hero, you need to make him do some actually bad things, otherwise what's the point?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 12:39 am

A lot of folks haven't seen the series so I'll not give much away (other than what's on the trailers) but
1. Morrison does look pretty old and watching him crawl out of the Sarlacc pit as an old dude is lame/inaccurate
2. It's fine Disney is involved but Kathleen Kennedy has spoiled the series in episode 3. Her obvious involvement is plain for all to see,
3. So far Boba seems somewhat laid back/pleasant even? somebody got their wires crossed and made him into a warrior for justice (like a Jedi) whereas in canon and in the original star wars he was violent, uncaring and no-nonsense.

Disney seemed to also do this to the character of Bo-Katan as well. In Clone wars she was a member of death watch and was involved in the genocide of an entire village including murdering women and children. Yet mysteriously she's become a heroine for Mandalore to be "admired" for Star wars fans? Not sure how that happened?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 10:49 pm

First good episode, no Boba Fett in it... :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 12:33 am

Dox47 wrote:
First good episode, no Boba Fett in it... :lol:

Why though? the series is supposed to be about Boba. Ep 5 of the Book of Boba Fett should be renamed episode 1 from season 2.5 of the Mandalorian.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:03 am

cyberdad wrote:

Why though? the series is supposed to be about Boba. Ep 5 of the Book of Boba Fett should be renamed episode 1 from season 2.5 of the Mandalorian.

Right? I expected a Mando cameo, I wasn't expecting a full episode of that show. Not that I'm complaining, this was the first episode to have some of the action and tone that's been missing from the series so far, maybe some of that will rub off on ol' Boba. I want to see the guy that Darth Vader had to tell to take it easy, not the big softie we've seen so far.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:37 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Right? I expected a Mando cameo, I wasn't expecting a full episode of that show. Not that I'm complaining, this was the first episode to have some of the action and tone that's been missing from the series so far, maybe some of that will rub off on ol' Boba. I want to see the guy that Darth Vader had to tell to take it easy, not the big softie we've seen so far.

Yeah I figure this maybe Disney's way of showing how the legacy of Mandolore/Din DJarin will rub off on Boba making him more of the killer he was reputed to be

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 10:54 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Yeah I figure this maybe Disney's way of showing how the legacy of Mandolore/Din DJarin will rub off on Boba making him more of the killer he was reputed to be

At this point, they need a Red Wedding level massacre to fix the character, make it so the whole first part was him setting everyone up to think he's gone soft to sucker them in and wipe them all out at once or something, then feed that speeder "gang" to the rancor for fun...

I did like that they had Mando struggling with his new toy, unlike a certain untrained Mary Sue character who was able to just pick one up and instantly be better with it than people who'd been training for years, shows a different mindset in the writing team behind these shows than the mainline movies.

Funny personal note, I rather enjoyed the scene where he had to go through security to get on the transport, they had some nice bonuses in the stuff he had to put in the tray for people with eagle eyes (he has a WWII Liberator disposable pistol for some reason), plus I've literally had that happen, with nearly as much gear, lol. When I was a young man I thought it was funny to see just how much weaponry I could conceal on my person without anyone noticing, and it turns out that it's kind of a lot; I unexpectedly had to drop something off at a hospital late at night one time and it took about 15 minutes to get everything logged and checked when they insisted I go through the metal detector, the looks on the guards' faces were priceless. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 12:45 am

Dox47 wrote:
I rather enjoyed the scene where he had to go through security to get on the transport, they had some nice bonuses in the stuff he had to put in the tray for people with eagle eyes (he has a WWII Liberator disposable pistol for some reason), plus I've literally had that happen, with nearly as much gear, lol. When I was a young man I thought it was funny to see just how much weaponry I could conceal on my person without anyone noticing, and it turns out that it's kind of a lot; I unexpectedly had to drop something off at a hospital late at night one time and it took about 15 minutes to get everything logged and checked when they insisted I go through the metal detector, the looks on the guards' faces were priceless. :lol:

That particular scene with transport mech-droid asking Mando to leave his multiple concealed weapons is directly lifted from a number of movies and is a play on an old TV trope. I think the Disney influence is to include lots of "funny" bits for the old belly laugh. But it makes sense you can't bring concealed weapons on a transport.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 3:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
But it makes sense you can't bring concealed weapons on a transport.

My fridge logic wonders how the scanners for that work, I can't imagine that beskar is radio transparent, and with all the other weird technological stuff built into the armor, it's essentially a weapon unto itself. I kind of like the Rick and Morty version of this, bring all the weapons you want, but you have to be tranqued to the gills for the duration of the flight.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 3:08 am

You're right though, it's totally a trope, really a deconstruction of the traditional "hero gears up" scenes but in reverse and played for humor.

Like this, but backwards:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 4:33 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

My fridge logic wonders how the scanners for that work, I can't imagine that beskar is radio transparent, and with all the other weird technological stuff built into the armor, it's essentially a weapon unto itself. I kind of like the Rick and Morty version of this, bring all the weapons you want, but you have to be tranqued to the gills for the duration of the flight.

In Star wars canon beskar comes in different grades/forms (for example the black sabre is a different type of beskar). Bit probably some leeway in interpreting the security needs (again invoking modern airport scanners rather than the star wars universe).

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 3:58 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The blaster in his hilt would have set it off, just assume he decided to play ball in removing everything, on the chance he was caught with any of the others after being ordered to, which he would have no way talking or getting himself charged or even arrested.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 6:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
You're right though, it's totally a trope, really a deconstruction of the traditional "hero gears up" scenes but in reverse and played for humor.

Like this, but backwards:

I suspect this is the "Disney" influence creeping into Star Wars that's part of the canon landscape now. For example the transport chase in episode 3 smacked of a typical/comical car chase trope seen in every action movie since Boney and Clyde. The shiny vehicles also are call back to one of Lucas's experiments in 1950s iconography American Graffiti which he made way back in 1975.While the inclusion of mod-tech cyborgs is a cool addition acting as mercanaries, they keep making the characters slightly slapstick (kind of like the ship mechanic Peli Motto who comes across like a NY stand up comic).

All for the purpose of selling merch to kiddies and rides at Disneyland.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 6:21 pm

I got the impression that Boba isn't the same guy he had been because of his new lease on life. Not so much because he had survived the Sarnack, but because he had relearned family life and a sense of community while living among the Sand People tribe.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 9:56 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I got the impression that Boba isn't the same guy he had been because of his new lease on life. Not so much because he had survived the Sarnack, but because he had relearned family life and a sense of community while living among the Sand People tribe.

I agree Kraichie. It makes sense.

We are technically going into uncharted territory anyway in Boba's life so this personal growth is entirely plausible (even if its deflated fans who want to see brainless killer Boba)