Heirs of the Red Gene: A Century of Chinese Communist Rule

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 2:05 pm

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/3016111/

Sorry it's not a YouTube link but I tried to insert the link in such a way that it should be obvious that it's a video.

This was made by the Japanese NHK network. You may think what this shows exemplifies authoritarianism and total suppression of independent thought, but you have to admit the reporters got a lot of access and the people with whom they spoke seem to be speaking frankly. It probably helps that China and Japan both have Confucianist roots so they understand each other better than most Westerners understand either. From personal encounters with Chinese, I have the impression that the typical Han Chinese (minority groups notwithstanding) does not harbor antagonistic feelings towards their government.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 4:10 pm

There is BS right there in the title.

The "centennial" being celebrated is that of the birth of the Chinese Communist party. Not of "Communist rule" in China.

The Communist didnt "rule" until 1949, even though the Communist Party of China was formed in 1920.

The last Emperor was deposed in 1911. The Nationalists took over and formed a republic. The Communist started out as a faction of the Nationalists. The nationalists and Communists competed, and finally descended into civil war in the Thirties. Mao and Chiang Kai Chek fought each other while both fought the invading Japanese. Japan surrendered to the US in 1945. And the Chinese continued to fight each other with Mao winning on the mainland, and Chiang fleeing to Taiwan in 1949. So its only like 73 years of actual Communist "rule" now.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 7:37 am

naturalplastic wrote:
There is BS right there in the title.

The "centennial" being celebrated is that of the birth of the Chinese Communist party. Not of "Communist rule" in China.

I wouldn't give that too much weight. This documentary was made by a Japanese network. I don't know what the original Japanese title was. It could have been something entirely different. Japanese is a famously tricky language to translate.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 3:42 am

The link is dead.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 3:59 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The link is dead.

Here is the link to the description of the program:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/worldprime/20220108/3016111/

But it does appear they took the video down. Possibly they only keep the videos up a certain length of time.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 1:01 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The last Emperor was deposed in 1911. The Nationalists took over and formed a republic. The Communist started out as a faction of the Nationalists.

A little mistake.
It was not that the Kuomintang(Nationalists) took over the last emperor.
Traditionally, "Republic of China" refers to Chiang Kai-shek's Nationalist government. But the Republic of China was actually founded by Yuan Shikai, and he and the leaders of several factions after him were collectively known as the "Beiyang Warlords".
This period is known as the "Beiyang government" (1912-1924).
The Beiyang government was overthrown by the cooperation of the Kuomintang and the Communist Party. The Kuomintang only began to rule over China in 1924.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 1:07 am

^ Interesting.