Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Feccy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2022, 6:22 pm

Hello fellow Aspies

After 30 mins lurking I thought I’d jump right in.
My partner sent me the link to the AQ test over the Christmas holidays. She scored 4 and I scored 31! Have to say it was part shocking and part pure relief! It certainly explains a lot about the last 50 years!

I’m still in the process of speaking to my GP regarding a formal diagnosis so hopefully I’ll get somewhere with that soon but I’m not holding my breath.

I guess what got me here was yet another work related melt down primarily from working alongside idiots! Of course they’re not idiots but that’s not what my brain says on a daily basis. Hopefully I’m not alone with that train of thought

I don’t have any issues with eye contact, reading emotions and/or over stimulation but I certainly view life through a different lens.

I’m currently going down the kindle rabbit hole which highlighted this site and so far I’m pretty sure I’m in the right place!

Living in rural Scotland with my partner of 4 years and currently going through the (mostly) revelatory experience of being somewhere on the spectrum

I’m looking forward to learning from all you lovely people.

Namaste 8)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 6:52 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find the company pleasant.

Since you are still doing the initial exploration I'll toss in a few other thoughts to make things more complicated:
-=-- Apparently there is something called "Borderline Autism"
-=-- There are other "conditions" that can be confused with Autism
I guess these are the kind of reasons for getting a professional assessment if there is any uncertainty.

After I started learning about the Autism Spectrum I (and my bride) concluded before long that I might be a "High Functioning Autistic". It was my AQ test score that added enough credibility that I pursued a formal assessment. While talking to the Psychologist who did my assessment I noted that I was pretty sure I was somewhere near the bottom of the Spectrum but I didn't know whether I was almost on the Spectrum or just barely on it. (Turns out I am on it—Level 1.)

But whether you get an assessment, or not, and no matter what diagnosis you get: Welcome to WP! It is not just for Autistics, it is also for people interested in Autism.

P.S. The Aspie-Quiz might also interest you. Note that registering there is optional!

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 7:47 pm

Welcome, I've lived in Aberdeen for a couple of months in the 90's. I was treated to a traditional Burns supper at a castle near Stonehaven. One of my top five dining experiences.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 10:35 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 6:13 am

welcome! its a lot to sort out, especially as an adult, the older we are when we suspect our autism the more memories and interactions, the more past we have to work through. Glad you are with us. Make sure you do your best self care as you move forward. Many people say diagnosis is sort of like culture shock. Everything looks different from the new perspective with autism in the view instead of hidden and working behind the scenes. Take your time and ask lots of questions. we are here to listen and support. :)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 5:21 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet :D

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 11:55 pm

Double Retired wrote:
-=-- Apparently there is something called "Borderline Autism"

That page is a bit out-of-date. What that page calls "borderline autism" is the DSM IV's categories of what were then called "Asperger's syndrome" and "PDD-NOS." These correspond, approximately, to ASD Level 1 under the DSM 5.

There is ALSO such a thing as the "broad autism phenotype," in which a person has more autistic-like traits than most people, but not enough to be considered "clinically significant." (See this Spectrum News article.)