Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 10:04 am

I moved to this new apartment complex in October.

One guy who lives here shortly after I moved in I complimented his shirt, a classic Sonic the Hedgehog design (I used to be an extreme fan of Sonic). All he said was "interesting" then just walked off.

I didn't have any interaction with him until a couple days ago, when we ended up on the elevator together. He made it a point to look into the reflective surface of the door and not at me, started swaying vigorously, etc... Then when the elevator stopped, he walked the opposite direction, said "whoo! I'm safe!"

I mean, he might be neurodiverse himself? I can't diagnosis people but I never just complimented someone then later they act like I'm to be avoided... I'm very confused...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 10:13 am

I see two huge warning red flags that you encountered the most rarest specimen, the American Asshat.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 12:24 pm

Forget about this guy. He’s not “all there” in a negative sense.

I’m neurodiverse….and I wouldn’t be such a jerk to somebody.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 12:55 pm

I think "Whoo I'm safe!" is a joke referring to Covid, being in a small space with someone else.

I wouldn't take it personally.

He might not even remember that you're the person who made the shirt comment.

I'm face blind and wouldn't recognise the person.

Even then, I wouldn't be chatting up the person because I'm autistic and I don't do small talk.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 1:05 pm

He's entitled to his privacy if that's what he wants. And he could be completely unaware that his behaviour was a tad cruel.

Not that I like his conduct. There are ways of softening the blow of rejection. And I much prefer people to be friendly and supportive towards each other by default. People are stronger that way, and without such co-operative bonds all that remains is for them to annoy each other. It's hard for a very reclusive person having to live shoulder-to-shoulder with others. He'd probably be better off in a detached house with a good distance between him and the rest of the world, but that's probably not affordable.

Who knows? Maybe it's a Covid thing. Maybe he's had bad experiences with women that he's not over yet. Maybe he falls in love at the drop of a hat, gets hurt, and is terrified of it happening again. Maybe he's very neurodiverse. Maybe he just can't cope with people approaching him. Maybe he's just very aloof with people until he knows them better. I was a little bit like that with strangers myself for a few years after going through some bad stuff, though I was only ever that rude to marketers and evangelists who tried to take liberties.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 1:36 pm

Spooky situation .... normally would take the least risky path to myself. Regardless of my wanting to be friendly .

where ever you go ,there you are

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 3:47 pm

That guy seems to think he's entitled to his privacy. He also seems a little cold.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 4:03 pm

Entitled to his privacy ????? i do not understand this part of the post ?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 7:25 pm

Angnix wrote:
I'm very confused...

Me too. Must be some extra information you're leaving out. Like non-verbal data. Something transpired.Or you just both must be very weird and awkward.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 7:33 pm

with some folks, all one can do is leave them to god. i wish i was that person that Angnix encountered, as nobody talks to me. like some invisible force field that keeps them from seeing me or if they see me it offends them. i am a social aspie that no one wants to be social with F2F IRL.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:25 pm

Looks at Auntblabby to see if his sheilds are up? Often times Some vulnerable people have been burned Sooo much, that , they consider it a hazard to talk to strangers . Have had people occassionally make casual comments to me .( stranger) And I respond equally casually to them
and no further conversation is continued , Which does allow me to not feel like a complete social
Pariah . Usually grocery shopping but much less so since Covid has arrived.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:27 pm

Jakki wrote:
Looks at Auntblabby to see if his sheilds are up? Often times Some vulnerable people have been burned Sooo much, that , they consider it a hazard to talk to strangers . Have had people occassionally make casual comments to me .( stranger) And I respond equally casually to them and no further conversation is continued , Which does allow me to not feel like a complete social Pariah . Usually grocery shopping but much less so since Covid has arrived.

i feel it is my bad karma from a previous lifetime.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:56 pm

Gets on her Prayer Rug ... sends out Anti Bad Karma prayers into the universe on behalf of AuntBlabby.... :hail: .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:57 pm

^^^thank you Jakki :heart: praying that you find relief from medical and financial concerns :bounce:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 9:41 pm

Angnix wrote:
I moved to this new apartment complex in October.

One guy who lives here shortly after I moved in I complimented his shirt, a classic Sonic the Hedgehog design (I used to be an extreme fan of Sonic). All he said was "interesting" then just walked off.

I didn't have any interaction with him until a couple days ago, when we ended up on the elevator together. He made it a point to look into the reflective surface of the door and not at me, started swaying vigorously, etc... Then when the elevator stopped, he walked the opposite direction, said "whoo! I'm safe!"

I mean, he might be neurodiverse himself? I can't diagnosis people but I never just complimented someone then later they act like I'm to be avoided... I'm very confused...

i reread your post here and just realized , in regards to your earlier statement about his hedgehog t shirt . that he may very well be on the spectrum , and possibly nervous about elevators .
( change the context,) and that was the best he could do for small talk with out being trapoed in a elevator with a stranger ...MAY very well, been his version of making small talk ?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 9:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^thank you Jakki :heart: praying that you find relief from medical and financial concerns :bounce:

Me too...! thank you Auntblabby. :heart: