Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 3:38 pm

Do any of you use a weighted blanket? My s/dau bought me one for my birthday.. Did it help you sleep better? If yes how long did it take to do so?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 3:42 pm

I use one and I love the feel of it, but it doesn't help me sleep better. I still only sleep about 4 hours per night even with sedatives. I guess maybe I'd sleep even less without it? But I don't think so.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 6:49 am

Thanks Isabella.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 10:42 am

I have a 12 pound one that I bought last year. I use it mostly on my feet when I am sitting in my reclining chair. It does help a bit when I am stressed. My congestive heart failure condition leads me to often sleep in that chair at night.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 11:06 am

^ Thank you . At the moment it's increasing the pain on my left leg where I had the partial hip replacement . Nowhere near as bad as pre op, but noticeable.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 11:12 am

Just to clarify FM, I have a really bad sleep disorder. When I say it doesn't help, that's just because nothing helps 100%.

I still love my 20 lb blanket and wouldn't want to sleep without it. I put even more heavy blankets on top of it.

I sleep on my belly and I remember in the beginning it hurt my hips, because any time I tried to roll over I had to work against the weight. I must have gotten used to that because it doesn't happen any more. I always fall asleep when I pull it up around my neck because it's so comforting, but I do take sedatives as well ... The problem is I wake up after about 3-4 hours like always.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 11:21 am

My current problem is an acute urge to pee every 2-2.5 hours or so.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 2:03 pm

I have a sort of afghan that covers the half of the bed where I sleep unless it gets extremely warm in the bedroom, which serves the same purpose. I even use it in Summer, of course being American I have air conditioning almost all Summer although this is also due to my wife being extremely sensitive to heat.

I believe my wife is aware this is part of the reason for the afghan. It doesn't seem to bother her.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2022, 2:59 pm

I have one and occasionally use it to sleep.

More frequently, however, I find myself using it for evening couch time when I’m watching tv or reading. It seems to help bring my level of arousal down and I can often doze off beneath it. I’m quite petite and my blanket is 7kg and I find it’s a bit too heavy for me to sleep under all night. Otherwise I rate them highly and my ASD step daughter sleeps under hers every night.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 3:27 pm

firemonkey wrote:
^ Thank you . At the moment it's increasing the pain on my left leg where I had the partial hip replacement . Nowhere near as bad as pre op, but noticeable.

Try a lighter blanket. ( The general wisdom is to pick one that's 10 percent of your bodyweight. )

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2022, 3:35 pm

I made my own. It's kinda heavy for me because I was bigger when I made it. It calms my restless legs and generally makes me feel calmer, so it does help a lot, but getting and staying comfortable is a big problem, especially with the stupid hot flashes.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 3:39 pm

I have one that's a smidgen lighter than 10% of my BW.
It feels just like any blanket to me, I don't feel the weight at all.
I think I'd need one at least 20% of my BW to have it do anything for me.
Waste of money really.

/Mats

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 3:49 pm

Mine is 20 lb - way more than 10% of my weight.

If you stop and think about it, you'll realise the weight is spread evenly over the blanket so it's not like I'm getting 20lb on any one spot of my body. Also the blanket is quite big meaning that most of it isn't even touching me because it's just resting on the mattress. We have a lighter one I put on my legs when I'm reading and it feels heavier because I fold it up just for my legs, and the weight is only concentrated on half my body.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 3:59 pm

Yep.
I have a former GF who likes to have another person laying on top of her (not in a sexual way nb, just for sleeping) and I can realate to that, except it would be too warm.

/Mats

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2022, 7:29 pm

I have two. One is an adult size and I think around 20lbs (I got it years ago and don't remember accurately), I also have a lighter one, a child sized blanket that's about 10lbs. It's nice to have the light one sit on my lap when I'm working at my desk or something. I tend to use the heavier one when I'm having more anxiety. The pressure just helps me relax and feel safe (I guess that's the word). It reminds me of when my mom hugs me, because she always hugs me really tight.
The only problem I have, and this isn't necessarily limited to weighted blankets, is that I occasionally get night sweats. Sometime I push my blankets kinda off me in my sleep when this happens, but it doesn't work well with a weighted blanket.
That and the only draw back I can find is that most of them are spot clean only (for obvious reason), which means I try to be really careful about not getting it dirty (like spilling hot chocolate or getting turnover filling on it).