Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:23 pm

This may seem like a weirdly specific question but hear me out.

Since I was about 3-4 I have loved cats. They put me under a spell tbh and make me emotional. I feel like people's feelings about cats could show why some NTs don't like autistic ppl.

Cats aren't able to show clear emotion and so learning their feelings takes a lot of time since you can't tell clearly by looking like you can with a dog. They also have a lot of issues with over stimulation and have their own version of a meltdown if they are overstimulated. What stresses them out is often sensory or changes in routine. They show affection in less obvious ways sometimes too. It's also very easy to make them anxious (although this can be hard for those that don't know about them to tell as when they are afraid they act aggressive).

They are such misunderstood creatures and much of their bad behaviour can be explained when you realise they get overstimulated and things that wouldn't bother the average person give them anxiety. They also have history of being villanised because others didn't understand them. The show my cat from hell really proved to me that in so many cases where a cat seems like a monster, there are subtle things traumatising it. My cat and I have many of the same issues so maybe that helps me relate to them more. He even gave himself alopecia at one point!

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:25 pm

lvpin wrote:
Since I was about 3-4 I have loved cats.

Me too.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:32 pm

I'm not a cat person but I'm a Leo, does that count?

I like cats but for me, it's easier to read dogs. Step-dad had a siamese that would sit in my lap during TV time. I couldn't pet it and if I tried, it would bite me while hissing. I never understood it but reading your post, it may be the over sensory issue. Every bluemoon I could pet it but mostly learned to just let it sit in my lap. It was too funny.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:36 pm

txfz1 wrote:
I'm not a cat person but I'm a Leo, does that count?

I like cats but for me, it's easier to read dogs. Step-dad had a siamese that would sit in my lap during TV time. I couldn't pet it and if I tried, it would bite me while hissing. I never understood it but reading your post, it may be the over sensory issue. Every bluemoon I could pet it but mostly learned to just let it sit in my lap. It was too funny.

Yeah I learnt that cats have areas they are quite sensitive about and every cat can only deal with a certain amount of attention before getting freaked out because it is too much. My cat runs away when he is but not every cat is so clear. I think the cat must have liked you though to sit on you. It shows trust :3

Also yes dogs are a lot easier to understand. Not everyone has the time to learn/research cat body language like I did lol.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:37 pm

Cats are low maintenance. You can let them roam outside. One sleeps under a tree. Just sleeps in random places. They're independent. Can survive in wild, more or less. Sturdy little carnivores. Cute too! adorable, as far as clawed and fanged killers CAN be called adorable. They have different personalities as well. No cat is the same really. Some are timid, some are quite aggressive, and everything inbetween.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 8:44 pm

Photographer friend has a cat where they grow an extra paw in place of a toe. Polydactyl

He is a serious cat person and rescues the feral ones that live or show up near his rural house.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2022, 8:49 pm

I really enjoy cats, & love mine. Dogs, uh, no love there. I don't understand the desire to have an in general needy, whiney, can't-leave-me-alone animal. And most people don't train their dogs well. I don't want licked, jumped on, or even barked at. I don't want to know dogs. I don't make ppl who dislike cats spend time with mine, so don't make me interact with the dog(s).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 9:25 pm

Yes, cats and I seem to mostly be on the same wavelength.

This is my favourite celebrity:

He's just like a little Rory Calhoun. 8)

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 6:52 am

I can speak "animal", cats included, fluently.
I fail at speaking "human".
I think the words conflict with the body language and confuse me.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 11:27 am

Blue_Star wrote:
Dogs, uh, no love there. I don't understand the desire to have an in general needy, whiney, can't-leave-me-alone animal.
But at least they're smelly. :-?

I am definitely a cat person.

I have no feeling of accomplishment if a dog likes me. Generally, most dogs like most people. They're bred that way.

If a cat likes me, however, I feel I have accomplished something. Generally you have to earn their affection. You have to be deemed worthy.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 3:52 pm

I love the species dearly

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2022, 7:34 pm

I like cats very much, I am, however, highly allergic to them.
I've also grown up with only dogs around, so I consider myself more of a dog person. But if you're like me and like cats, but can't have one, I suggest getting a shih-tzu. They are cats in dog bodies. I've shared plenty of stories with my friends about the two shih-tzu's I've had, Peppy (RIP) and Sierra, and they look at me and say 'you don't have a dog, you have a cat'.
My parents and I also joke that Sierra has doggie asperger's (I'd like to take a moment and clarify that I do not believe dogs get autism). She was taken away from her litter too early and never properly socialized as a puppy, so she has anxiety issues. She doesn't like going to new places, she wants to see the other dogs, but when she gets up close to them, panics and runs away, and gets really upset whenever we rearrange the furniture. My parents like to laugh and say that for something I didn't give birth to, she sure acts a lot like me!

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm

My once neighbor had cats and bought home a boxer puppy. He would stalk like a cat whenever meeting new people. It was funny to see.

I also speak animal but not human, can't trust 'em.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 1:25 am

I love cats and dogs. I'm also more able to relate to cats than I am people. My niece's cat was afraid to come out when we were all at my sister's place for Christmas dinner. I was thinking about how much that resonates with me and the way I can be about people.

Nemesis2k7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2022, 3:38 am

Yes, i do. more so than people. I actually form a bond of sorts, with cats, and dogs, Some other animals too, but mostly cats. They say cats are autistic. I believe them.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 6:12 am

I think that cats have domesticated humans. We get along, but do not bond.