Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 12:20 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I think that cats have domesticated humans. We get along, but do not bond.

Though I grieved more for my cat than I have so far for a human.

I note as well that both the human and feline brains have that surface folding, and from my reading I understand both species seem to have areas of brain adapted to specific tasks.

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2022, 7:50 pm

Sometimes I think the reason autistics get along better with dogs and cats is because communicating with them is so much simpler, even though we don't speak a common language. If they don't want you to pet them anymore, they'll get up and move away. If you accidentally hurt them (I'm sure all of us pet owners have occasionally stepped on a tail) they forgive you and don't act like your action was intentional. And when they're happy to see you and cuddling with you, there's no subtext or ulterior motive. They are snuggling because they genuinely like you and enjoy being close to you just because you're you.
Whenever I got home, Sierra would always run to the door to greet me and then zoom away to get a toy and then zoom back to meet me for butt scratchies and to rub her face on my legs. It always made me feel better when I had a bad day 'peopleing', because I made her so genuinely happy just by coming home.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 10:28 pm

I've been a cat lover all my life, they are so cute, they like to watch what you're doing and I call them little supervisors,
the best kind because they watch and don't tell you off if you do something wrong.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 6:34 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
the best kind because they watch and don't tell you off if you do something wrong.

Though the do give "The Look' if their chair has not been set to their liking

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 9:34 am

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2022, 6:45 pm

Who doesn't like cats? They are very pleasant to stroke, and what's better than when your cat purrs next to your head when you go to sleep? They're independent, yet often enjoy your company. And they're the perfect size to stand on your desk and keep you company when you're working from home.

I can't say I prefer cats over dogs however. Dogs are fun to bring along on hikes, canoe trips, and sailing, and who doesn't like it when a dog asks for yet another stomach rub even if he's already had six earlier that day? The only thing I don't like about dogs is if you're camping and they start farting in your tent.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 8:53 pm

Dogs are usually as spooked by loud noises as cats are.

But yes there is a lot of stigma against cats. When extreme dog lovers hear about an aggressive cat they immediately think that all cats are the same and that dogs are much better. But they forget the fact that more people (particularly children) have actually been attacked by dogs than by cats. Usually if a cat feels threatened by someone they'll walk away or run away, while a lot of dogs (not all) can attack someone they feel threatened by.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 9:20 pm

♡ॢ₍⸍⸌̣ʷ̣̫⸍̣⸌₎

—————-

from https://cooltext.top/cat

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 10:16 pm

^That's cute. :)

I'm allergic to cats but my housemate and I have two. I think I've built up a tolerance to them though because I only have trouble if I rub my eyes after petting them.

Their names are Kira and Rowan. Kira was a stray and Rowan was a foster kitten.

When I was a teenager I lived at a friend's place and they had four Jack Russells. It took me a while to get used to them and I had to wear socks or shoes on my feet all the time otherwise they'd get licked.

My sister fosters cats and kittens and last time I was at her house, she had 14 cats. I was drawn to a white cat named Baymax who was super affectionate and loved cuddles. I went home sniffing and eyes itchy and watering but it was totally worth it!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:09 am

My bride had two cats when we married. She is allergic to cats...but allergy tests determined the severity of her allergy varied from breed to breed. She was very allergic to anything akin to Persians so she got cats she was less allergic to. (Still allergic, just less allergic.)

When she moved in with me I banned the cats from our bedroom (which meant keeping the door closed because you could tell the cats the rule as often as you wanted and they would still ignore it). Her allergist liked that idea but I did it for different health reasons...the health of the cats. I figured if I was asleep in bed and cat jumped up on it and started coughing up a hairball it might be unhealthy for the cat.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2022, 10:02 pm

It may be a rather indirect answer, but I'll let these 3 photos of these 2 rescue fellows be the answer to the question of whether I relate to cats;

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 10:57 am

I had a variety of cats over the years. The ones I like the most were called Maine Coon.

Maine Coon

It was an unbelievable cat, very friendly and very brave. Mine had 6 claws on each hand instead of the normal 5 that you find in most other Cat types.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 11:09 am

kitesandtrainsandcats, I see you have assistance when you are using the computer. :)

Back when my bride had two cats one fell in love with me. (It was, of course, mutual!) She couldn't keep her paws off me. And she frequently "helped" (interfered) when I was using the computer.

For some reason she liked to sit on the mouse. Which would've been inconvenient enough but she would do it when my hand was on the mouse.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 12:58 pm

Grew up with cats since 3-4 also.. loved them dearly learned to speak cat as they were incredibly patient with me..
And I think they knew I was learning ……. Alittle bit later found out the entire time was allergic to cats.
Kinda longed for a hypoallergenic cat . But only one have seen are hairless cats , which , they need love too .
But want my kitty to have fur . Have had extended conversations with a mainecoon owner . Who had a pair..
They sounded lovely and even a bit more able to handle themselves out in the wild .. And very intelligent .
But having a cat as a pet, would prefer them to live inside with me. Have attracted strange neighbours cats which, I have had to scold once in a while , about Leaving bird nests alone . Am aware of their hunting instinct . But have been around some fairly well domesticated Siamese , bluepoint. That would rather relax than chase birds .
And in spite of many places around this place .That they make nests at, The cats have been the least threat to most of the birds here.
But raccoons are the worst offenders of bird nests . Even though they can be cute too.

where ever you go ,there you are

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 1:43 pm

Double Retired wrote:
For some reason she liked to sit on the mouse. Which would've been inconvenient enough but she would do it when my hand was on the mouse.

Aww. :D It took a little bit to get the understanding transmitted, but these, to borrow a dog phrase, "two goodest boys" learned to leave the mouse and the laptop's finger pad alone.

Closest they get now to messing with the mouse is,