FDA cites hair-based autism diagnostic aid as ‘breakthrough’

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 11:03 am

Spectrum News

Quote:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted ‘breakthrough device’ designation to a hair-based test designed to aid autism diagnosis. The acknowledgment shifts the test into a fast lane through the agency’s regulatory review process.

The test, called StrandDx, analyzes the levels of chemicals in a strand of a child’s hair to capture a snapshot of her ‘exposome’ — some of her cumulative environmental exposures and how she regulates certain essential nutrients. The measures suggest how a person’s physiology responds to her environment, which can predict her chances of having autism, says Manish Arora, Edith J. Baerwald Professor and vice chairman of environmental medicine and public health at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City and co-founder of New York-based Linus Biotechnology, which is developing the test.

Previous research from the test’s makers suggested that autistic people’s teeth contain atypical levels of some metals, and that that information can be used to predict autism diagnoses.

With further development, StrandDx could also help identify subtypes of autism and predict prognoses and who might benefit from which therapies, Arora says.

Other experts say it is difficult to evaluate the technology without knowing more about what markers it analyzes and how it compares with current gold-standard diagnostic methods. Arora says his team has submitted a paper for review that outlines how the analysis works, but he declined to share it with Spectrum, citing the journal’s embargo policies.

Analyzing hair samples makes it possible to look at chemical exposures and how the body regulates them over time, Arora says, similar to how the rings of a tree can reveal its age and changing environment.

To use StrandDx, a clinician would request a kit to collect a hair sample from a child and return it to the company. The technology is intended to help predict the likelihood that a child has autism from birth to 18 months of age and assist in diagnosis from 18 months to 21 years.

But it is unclear how hair could provide information about exposures that occurred prenatally, when autism is thought to develop, Miller says. The first centimeter or so of hair growing from a follicle generally reflects only the past 30 days of someone’s exposures, though it’s feasible signatures extending beyond the hair’s lifespan could be detected with more development, he says.

Developing predictive biomarkers such as StrandDx is particularly difficult given the “shifting diagnostic boundaries” of autism, Sheinkopf says. Different markers may emerge depending on who is considered for inclusion in a study, for example.

“The field is still grappling with how broadly we should define autism,” he says. “That creates a major challenge for developing tests like this.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 3:49 pm

I do wonder if we will see a repeat of the Theranos situation.

In fact the more I read the description the more I wonder what the wiki entry for it a few years down the line might contain. The tale of woe from Theranos related below :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theranos

Some of the stuff is quite old hat. Arsenic accumulates in hair and hair samples might well convict an old style poisoner, as an old newsreel included on a Periodic Video from Nottingham university recounts : https://youtu.be/yD8Vz-mFHgI?t=685

I see some old favourites of the less salubrious "Autism Exploitation Industry", the references to heavy metals for example, and no mention of genetics, even though modern genetic "Fingerprinting" forensics on hair might well help solve a crime or two. Will this play out as hair sample sent, a list of chemicals returned and in return for a lot of money, some sort of "detoxification reagent" supplied. in fact the complete absence of anything to do with genetics suggests something I would charitably describe as a less than complete understanding of current knowledge of autism.

I wonder if in due course threads on this will be come to join postings on one of the long running threads over on the topics on the on
Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation section of the forum.

To quote our own dear and reapected Fnord from that thread, ""Unpublished preliminary findings" ranks down there with "Rumor has it"."

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 7:31 pm

Hmm.....they say they've submitted a paper that explains how it works but they won't share the contents, and there hasn't been a study to test the correlation with gold-standard ASD diagnostic methods. Doesn't seem much of a breakthrough to me, except maybe in the field of selling snake oil.

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2022, 7:42 pm

I honestly shake my head every time I see one of these articles about genetic diagnoses. Science has discovered more than a dozen genes linked with autism, and about a half dozen other conditions. They've even found some of these same gene expressions in people without autism!
I just get frustrated whenever I see research money going into things like this. There are so many more important things about autism that we don't know anything about! Like there was a tentative study (less than a hundred people I think) done in Scandinavia that showed evidence that autistics without comorbid conditions, like intellectual disabilities or epilepsy, on average die twenty years sooner than their peer groups. The researchers admitted that their sample size was too small to make a real, meaningful conclusion, because they could just be seeing a local anomaly, but they have said that there needs to be more research in this direction to be certain.
To me this is important, relevant research. Is this really the case? And if so, what are the causes and how do we ameliorate it?

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 4:38 pm

The whole thing looks like complete hogwash, and the more I look the more I am reminded of the dangerous and spurious chelation snake oil preying on families and harming autistic people.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 7:36 am

got "woo-woo" ????

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 9:41 am

The margin on selling this tech as a means to measure pollution in the subjects environment are probably small and the likely demand for the service probably limited, while going after the subset of the autism and related population desparate for cures or early screening is likely to find (sadly) a larger market, and with the application of fear and tragedy language, a market which can be kept away from critical thinking and instead kept in despair and purchasing from anxiety or desparation. Given that the "Inventor" is from a public health background I suspect someone is stepping outside their competency with others in search of a quick profit.
Humour on : Second andrew wakefield lite perhaps?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 2:35 pm

And I gather FDA endorsement doesn't necessarily mean a thing is good.......

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 2:43 pm

Indeed
/Humour on :
FDA report one : This appears a breakthrough technology......
FDA report two : But it doesn't actually work and it makes people sick