Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 11:20 am

New York Daily News

Quote:
A Manhattan gallery known for displaying works by world-famous names is hosting a rare exhibit by a unique group of relative unknowns: autistic and special needs artists.
ArtABILITY: An Inclusive Exhibition Celebrating Artists with Special Needs, at the Agora Gallery on W. 25 St. in Chelsea, features 40 artists and students at RISE in Spirit, a nonprofit that partners with Spirit of Huntington Art Center to provide art education and art therapy for veterans and people with physical and cognitive impairments.

“It’s a true honor for me, it’s a big deal,” said Michael Baumann, 23, of Center Moriches, L.I., whose depiction of the Empire State Building is exhibited. “I’m very proud of myself for what I’ve accomplished.”

The 250 works in the show range from drawings and watercolors to mixed media pieces and digital art. Many of them are in bright colors, some are exuberant abstracts and others are quieter figurative works.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 1:28 am

That's a very nice article. It's nice to see good news for a change.