Preacher says the word "Dominion" belongs to Christianity.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 9:26 am

:roll: Mark T. Barclay is convinced that the 2020 election was rigged . . . to support his idea, Barclay has attacked the machines made by the Dominion Voting systems, arguing that the company’s name is clearly an attack on Christianity:[1]

"99% … 99% of those who use the word ‘Dominion’ is Christianity.  And again -- this is just how I see it, guys, and I think I see it right.  I mean, I don’t want to sound arrogant, but look -- They’re stealing Christianity and everything important that’s us. It’s called Anti-Christ.  They steal Christmas from us.  It turns into Santa Claus and flying reindeer, etc. They steal Easter from us and it’s bunny with eggs … and this word 'dominion'.  That's our word.  That's Bible word.  It’s almost like, how dare you even use it in this context?  And then, if you look into Dominion -- you know, I am not an IT guy; but I’m not deaf, dumb, blind, and stupid either -- you look into this software, and what it does, and how easily it can be manipulated[2].  And, by the way, who's manipulating it, and who's governing it?  This is Anti-Christ, anti-America, anti-justice, anti-fairness -- and it's being proven![3]  And so they need to do something about it, like maybe just get rid of it."

Notes:

[1] And no, he's got not a shred of evidence.  It’s all a delusional wingnut fever dream (and that’s the charitable interpretation -- it may also be, and probably is, projection), and you should probably not annoy him with questions about where we got Christmas and Easter from.  Note also how the notion that anybody not agreeing with him on politics is non-Christian, is working as a presupposition.

[2] For the record, Barclay has not looked into the software.

[3] Most things loons believe are always/already/just now in the process of being "proven".

Source:
 This Encyclopedia of American Loons Entry 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 10:18 pm

a few years ago, I would have said something about American wingnuttery and lack of gatekeeping that leads to unchecked media attention. But by now, there's enough science-sceptics and far right esoterics mixing in europe that spew comparable nonsense and don't get ostracized by media, but amplified.
But then, there have been genocides organized, and there still is human trafficking openly advertised on facebook.

so. yes: Dominion is a word that features a lot in the Bible, so do some other words, like "covet" and "smite".

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 12:20 am

The dictionary doesn't give "dominion" much in the way of Christian connotations.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/dominion

His thinking seems very muddled.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 9:18 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
. . . His thinking seems very muddled.
He does seem to be a few wafers short of a full Communion service.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 2:29 pm

Fnord wrote:
He does seem to be a few wafers short of a full Communion service.

:D
I don't think I've ever seen a piece of religionist writing that makes much rational sense. It's not just the "facts" they assert that don't check out, the reasoning can be seriously out of whack. I'm always left wondering, do they themselves think it makes sense, or do they know it doesn't, but publish it anyway because they think it'll fool enough sheep to keep the money and prestige coming in?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 3:31 pm

Well...I guess that everyone who has ever lived in the state of Virginia for the last four centuries is destined for eternal damnation because ...the state calls itself "the Old Dominion".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 10:35 pm

I imagine this preacher is of the Dominionist theology; that is, the belief that God wants Christians to "dominate" the otherwise secular realm of politics, the arts and entertainment, and everything else, as well as seeing nature as something for Christians to rule over and to do with as they see fit (no ecological conservation here). It's of course an extreme right wing ideology with a religious façade. Ted Cruz's old man is a minister of this less than orthodox theology.
It's all based on a passage from Genesis, where God gives dominion to Adam over all the earth. The huge mistake made by practitioners of this theology is the interpretation of the word "dominion," which in fact means stewardship. That is, Adam had been tasked to care for the planet and all it's life.
Dominionism as a theology is as false as the the prosperity gospel and Christian nationalism, and is living proof of how the right's secular politics have manifested itself in religion.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 10:37 pm

No, the word "Dominion" belongs to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 10:43 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:
No, the word "Dominion" belongs to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

:lol:
That too.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 2:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The huge mistake made by practitioners of this theology is the interpretation of the word "dominion," which in fact means stewardship

I don't think it's a "mistake", I think these people know exactly what they're doing. Dominionist Christianity is white supremacy. You can tell that their agenda is white supremacy because if you're anti-racist, they will accuse you of being anti-Christian.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 3:51 pm

Barchan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The huge mistake made by practitioners of this theology is the interpretation of the word "dominion," which in fact means stewardship

I don't think it's a "mistake", I think these people know exactly what they're doing. Dominionist Christianity is white supremacy. You can tell that their agenda is white supremacy because if you're anti-racist, they will accuse you of being anti-Christian.

Good point.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2022, 4:42 pm

Some of them do this a lot. They claim rainbows because of Noah's Ark. So all the gays are parts of the anti-Christ conspiracy. Then they claim marriage as if they invented it. There are probably other examples.

This is one of the things I fear. Whenever the churches ruled throughout history, they acted a lot like how the more extreme elements of another monotheist religion acts today. now, even though these fundamentalist Christian types like to present themselves as the nice guys, you can see how nasty life would become if they ruled again.

It's no coincidence that their rule forms part of the plot of so much dystopian science fiction. V For Vendetta, Escape from Los Angeles, and Handmaid's Tale... all tales of a Dominionist world. Promise heaven, deliver hell.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:05 pm

I think this guy needs to read the Bible. Jesus didn't advocate for dominion. He advocated for healing, acceptance and treating others as one would themselves. Anyone who says otherwise shouldn't be preaching the Gospel, as they've clearly never read it.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 4:55 am

DoniiMann wrote:
Whenever the churches ruled throughout history, they acted a lot like how the more extreme elements of another monotheist religion acts today.

Hey hey. I know that a certain middle eastern country is holding the entire world hostage with threats of mutually assured nuclear destruction, but I don't think it's fair to blame the Jewish religion for the actions of Israeli government. :wink:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:14 am

Barchan wrote:
I know that a certain middle eastern country is holding the entire world hostage with threats of mutually assured nuclear destruction, but I don't think it's fair to blame the Jewish religion for the actions of Israeli government.
How exactly is Iran using its nuclear capability to hold the world hostage?

And what does their apocalyptic ambition have to do with Israel?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:15 am

Barchan wrote:
Dominionist Christianity is white supremacy. You can tell that their agenda is white supremacy because if you're anti-racist, they will accuse you of being anti-Christian.
Exactly how often has this happened to you?